Forums

Door seals, noise reduction

Door seals, noise reduction

Has anyone tried any of the noise reduction kits for the Model 3? Someone sent me a link for a door seal kit on Amazon, I don't really trust Amazon reviews anymore, has anyone here tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Soundproof-Rubber-Weather-Reduction/dp/B0...

RedShift | 12. august 2019

I’ve tried this. Doesn’t do ANYTHING for road noise. You do get a slightly more solid sounding ‘thud’ when closing doors.

Oh, the adhesive on mine is weak, and the pieces keep falling off or dangling from closed doors when driving.

Tread carefully.

The product descriptions makes wild claims. Only 1% of them are true.

Amazon really sucks at getting the products, understandably. They have a billion products on sale.

*vetting

joonrhee | 12. august 2019

I bought this last week and installed it just yesterday. It does make the door close with a better Thud sound. As for road/wind noise, it is not toooo noticeable but it is definitely little quieter. I didn't measure the decibels but I noticed the minimal difference with the lower audio level. I listen to Korean AM for news via app and sound is not crisp and clear all the time. If I had it at 85% audio level before having the seals, I think I had it up to about 75% today. That's how I made the assessment of very slightly reduced wind/road noise. This is going in freeway at anywhere from 50-75 miles/hr.

jordanrichard | 12. august 2019

There are two sources of noise, the tires and through the skin of the car. To cut out/down the tire noise you would need to cover the wheel well with sound deadening material like Dynomat. The same goes for the door skins. You would have to remove the door panels and stick Dynomat to door skin.

TrexTesla | 12. august 2019

i installed them....no noticeable difference...nicer thud though!

jeremynordland | 12. august 2019

Installed them. Noise difference negligible but there is significantly less dirt getting in and around the interior door sills so I'll call it a success.

jason | 14. august 2019

I installed. No noticeable difference.

jebinc | 14. august 2019

I installed them as they keep my wills clean. Like the heavier thud as well. Might be a bit quieter also, but clean sills was my objective, and that these do!

jebinc | 14. august 2019

Sills

jebinc | 14. august 2019

Sills

M3phan | 14. august 2019

No discernible noise reduction + possibly coming unstuck from poor adhesive = not worth the time for me to install.
A better door “thunk” and possibly less dust on sills also not sufficient reason to offset time/hassle to install.

jebinc | 14. august 2019

@m3phan - I followed the instructions, including using provided cleaning an prep pads. Job took me an hour. I’m glad I did it. Obviously YM did Vary.

M3phan | 14. august 2019

A whole hour? Eww no. Actually saw an older guy close to my age on YouTube do it, he appeared to have my (non existent) DIY skillset, and it took him if I recall over two hours. Eww no+++. ; )
If it actually reduced noise significantly, I might have done it.
Perhaps maybe.

M3phan | 14. august 2019

Truthfully I don’t find the cabin to be all that noisy anyway. Wind and tires (depending on surface), but honestly not bad for me.

RedShift | 14. august 2019

@jordan

“You would have to remove the door panels and stick Dynomat to door skin.”

Doesn’t do anything for road noise. Speaking from personal experience, as I’ve done all the door panels (even getting to the actual bare metal of the door insides) with dynamat type materials.

jebinc | 15. august 2019

@m3phan - I followed the instructions, including using provided cleaning an prep pads. Job took me an hour. I’m glad I did it. Obviously YM did Vary.