Forums

Consumer reports question re: mpg/fuel economy

Consumer reports question re: mpg/fuel economy

Where would I find the answer to this question on my model 3.
Thanks

Daryl | 12. august 2019

What is your question?

Magic 8 Ball | 12. august 2019

site:forums.tesla.com fuel economy

Use the above as a URL or put into google search. To search for other things use different search terms instead of "fuel economy".

jim | 12. august 2019

I'm not clear on your question either, but if you are asking for fuel economy numbers, it's probably around 130 MPGe.
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2018_Tesla_Model_3.shtml

MDstJK | 12. august 2019

To clarify:
I'm completing an online annual survey for Consumer reports. They ask vehicle owners for MPG usage (obviously, no problem for ICE vehicles) Will my M3 show electric usage per mile somewhere?
...time for CS to update their form, good thing its not a hybrid Lol

82bert | 12. august 2019

What a waste of time. CR is for old timers.

aptwo | 12. august 2019

Ughh

MDstJK | 12. august 2019

Considering how bad CS bashed M3 last year, it's pretty much for any age group (including old timers) who want to support Tesla, so if someone out there can answer the question, please do.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla...

spuzzz123 | 13. august 2019

“Will my M3 show electric usage per mile somewhere?”
Yes certainly look at your trip odometers, part of the cards in the bottom left portion of your screen. They’ll show you watt/hr per mile consumption for your current trip, since last charge, trip a and trip b totals. I never reset my trip a so that serves as my lifetime efficiency. My lifetime usage is about 250 wh/mile. Better in the summer; worse in the winter.

bjrosen | 13. august 2019

The formula to convert W/mile, as displayed in the odometers, is 33700/W. For example I'm averaging 224W/mile, 33700/224 = 150.44MPGe. The EPA rating for the AWD is 116 MPGe.

I've just filled out my survey, I used the 150 MPGe number that I've averaged so far. Consumer Reports hasn't been unfair to Tesla. They report that Tesla's have the highest owner satisfaction rate of any car, undoubtedly true, and that they are unreliable, also true. On my new car if I open the door a window on another door goes down, calibration hasn't fixed it so I've scheduled a service call. That doesn't happen on other cars so it's no wonder that Consumer Reports rates the car as unreliable. Their ratings of the Model 3 seem right on the mark,
Driving Experience 99/100
Comfort 84/100 (seems to high, the car is noisy and the seats are terrible for short people)
Value 67/100 ( that seems low to me, I would have put it much higher, it's the most car for $50K that you can buy)
Styling 93/100 (can't argue with that)
Would you buy it again, 92%, the highest of any car. The Audi A4 is at 80%.

PECo CT | 13. august 2019

@bjrosen +1

Magic 8 Ball | 13. august 2019

Friends don't let friends consume consumer reports "information". The test "methods" they use are inconsistent and a mix of observations and opinions.

82bert | 13. august 2019

It really is for “older” and less informed people, and CR is on its way out the door. I don’t know a single person under the age of 45 that uses it.

FISHEV | 13. august 2019

You'd put down the 116 MPGe of the LR AWD Model 3 or the 133 MPGe of the Standard+. You need to look up your specific model per the www.fueleconomy.gov and plug in the MPGe.

jimglas | 13. august 2019

I remember relying on consumer reports.
40 years ago

FISHEV | 13. august 2019

"Considering how bad CS bashed M3 last year."@MDstJK

That was Model 3 owners actually and all they did was report the repair incidence on their Model 3's. It was so high that CR took the Model 3 off its Recommended List. CR did note that Tesla owners were very loyal despite the high repair rate.

Magic 8 Ball | 13. august 2019

Polling is not accurate, Hillary by a landslide.

jimglas | 13. august 2019

By 3 million votes
Polling was actually dead on

Don't use the government numbers, they are looking for real MPG numbers. Look at your odometers for the W/mile and convert the number into MPGe, 33700/W = MPGe.

MDstJK | 14. august 2019

Thanks for the conversion info, very helpful. Maybe I'm an idiot wasting 5 minutes of my time on a survey. Sorry to waste your time with a question. But anyway, it is pretty obvious that combined trolling /bashing of Tesla from short sellers, fossil fuel industry, 'Grandpa's' Consumer Reports, etc., does hurt the company. Personally, I'm thrilled the cars exist and hope Tesla remains in business after the enormous effort they've made to produce them.

MDstJK | 14. august 2019

@bjrosen (not directed toward you, Lol) I appreciate your help, it's what I was looking for.

davesper2 | 14. august 2019

Consumer reports road test the cars, checked the car out thoroughly without any sponsor or outside money. And uses tesler owner information to make their report it’s completely unbiased. Just because you don’t like what they say doesn’t mean it isn’t true. The first year M3 was headaches. The first years of the MS was a headaches. Now the cars are in my opinion perfect.

sbeggs | 14. august 2019

I love filling out CR surveys about our classic 2014 Model S85, filling out all the information about how reliable and wonderful our car has been for five years. Glowing.

Techy James | 14. august 2019

@82bert bump that number up to under 75, even my Mom and Dad don't use CR.
Who wants a review by someone that is biased and willing to take money from manufacture for their review. Take their e-Tron review, they praised it for poor acceleration numbers. EV's should never have poor acceleration numbers. Even my old Mazda CX-5 could have easily matched those numbers, and I always thought the CX-5 was lacking in acceleration. Now my M3 LR RWD those are decent numbers, 0-60 in just under 5 Sec now that is respectable. I would definitely expect better than 5.5 seconds using an 8 Second boost mode setting. That is same as my M3 in Chill Mode. All the Dual Motor Tesla's priced below or similar to base model eTron easily post numbers in the sub 4.5 range. Add performance then it ranges from 2.4 to 3.2 using a similar boosted performance setting. Come on Audi your better than that. PS the E-Tron without Sport boost mode was in the mid 7 for acceleration.

Techy James | 14. august 2019

Another interesting fact with this article. It was based on Spring numbers and based on the Article date of Feb 2019 which meant the Survey had to be sent in Spring of 2018. So since the survey was sent in Spring of 2018, all the numbers would have been recorded from the early production models where Tesla was both ramping up production, getting feedback from new owners and making adjustments. If you look and first run reports, history indicates problems tend to be higher on new production models with complete different tooling than older models with minor changes.
I again also question sample size, to be included you have to be a Member of CR. If you want a true sample, don't include just Members of your publication, but instead send it out to all new owners of Model 3. You basing your report of 500 compared to a number that was over 200K owners by end of 2nd Quarter 2018. That report was only 0.25% of all owners. Most polls attempt to get at least 2% poll of the target group which here would be Tesla Owners.

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"EV's should never have poor acceleration numbers.@TechyJames

At 5.5 0-60 the e-Tron is very quick. One of the quickest Audi's one can purchase. One of the quickest SUV's in its class. The acceleration is a bit of gimmick with EV's especially as i detracts from range, the real issue people have with EV's. 4.4 on the Model X but then no sun roof, no heads up, no vented seats, no blind side indicators, no 360 cam, no rear cross track warning, no dedicated controls for wipers, lights, mirrors, rear wiper.

No compromises on the e-Tron, Audi owners will know where everything is and will love the quickness and silence. Like Jag, Audi will pick up 20,000 additional sales on the Q-line of SUV's with one of the most expensive models. Probably 40,000 in 2020.

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"I love filling out CR surveys about our classic 2014 Model S85, filling out all the information about how reliable and wonderful our car has been for five years. Glowing."@sbeggs

CR's survey is all Tesla owners so the aggregate with all the repairs has been a hit to Tesla's reliability. Zero days lost to repairs on Subaru in four years. Three days and counting lost to repairs on Model 3 in three months. It is what it is, knew that going on but it is a fact of life with the Tesla.

Joshan | 14. august 2019

I don't think Fish even believes what he posts... not to mention the idiocy of comments like
"no dedicated controls for wipers, lights, mirrors, rear wiper."

You better step up your game Fish. I am an automation programmer and I could write a bot that does your job better than you in about 2 hours...

raqball | 14. august 2019

FISHEV | August 14, 2019
no dedicated controls for wipers, lights, mirrors, rear wiper.
-------------------------
I view this as a plus and the M3's interior is hands down my favorite ever!

I've had several Audi's over the years... 2 A3's and 3 A4's... I like them well enough but after having the M3 for almost 2 months now, I quite dig it's clean interior -vs- Audi's cluttered interiors...

Magic 8 Ball | 14. august 2019

Maybe doing research for a new season of Portlandia which specialized in the absurd?

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"I view this as a plus and the M3's interior is hands down my favorite ever!"@raqball

Driving the loaner S while Model 3 is in shop and having mirrors, wipers, wheel in separate controls is nice. Having the line of site dash helps with issues with poor blind side indicators though the S's visualization is as bad as Model 3's and people in blind spot don't show up in visualization until it is too late. At least S's side mirror covers the blind spot.

A digital dash on top so one can see it with hands on top of the wheel would be a huge help on Model 3. Put Nav, turn signals, speed, improved BSI there and make it configurable like Audi's Virtual Pilot. That would be a big help along with mirrors, wipers, lights, wheel on controls like the S.

FISHEV | August 14, 2019
"I view this as a plus and the M3's interior is hands down my favorite ever!"@raqball

Driving the loaner S while Model 3 is in shop and having mirrors, wipers, wheel in separate controls is nice. Having the line of site dash helps with issues with poor blind side indicators though the S's visualization is as bad as Model 3's and people in blind spot don't show up in visualization until it is too late. At least S's side mirror covers the blind spot.

A digital dash on top so one can see it with hands on top of the wheel would be a huge help on Model 3. Put Nav, turn signals, speed, improved BSI there and make it configurable like Audi's Virtual Pilot. That would be a big help along with mirrors, wipers, lights, wheel on controls like the S.
---------------
To each their own.... I dig the clean and unclutted M3 interior.. If someone wants all those controls and gadgets then maybe the M3 is not for them..

I have no problem adjusting things via the main unit and once set, I rarely change them anyways.. Blind spots are a problem in just about every car. If I recall correctly, my 2015 A3 was a death trap as far as bond spots went.. The M3 is nowhere even close to being as bad as it was...

I am quite surprised how quickly I adapted away from the standard ICE cluttering of interiors.. I doubt I'd buy anything going forward that does not adopt the M3's unclutted design...

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"I have no problem adjusting things via the main unit and once set, I rarely change them anyways."@raqball

I noticed the problem during the big rainstorm lately. The wiper controls on the screen are not a good idea.

FISHEV | August 14, 2019
I noticed the problem during the big rainstorm lately. The wiper controls on the screen are not a good idea.
-------------------
Auto wipers has worked fine for me so far.. I think I've had to use the screen once to turn them on because auto had not kicked in yet. I didn't find the task of turning them on through the main unit to be difficult or distracting..

I'd much rather have it the way it is that a cluttered stock with 427 different functions..

lbowroom | 14. august 2019

Fish continues to use the terms blind side and cross track, neither of which have any meaning in the automotive world. The term blind side does not mean blind spot. The term cross track does not mean cross traffic. People just assume that's what he means. He may as well say things like, "The e-tron is faster than any SUC ever tested. No one can argue that is inaccurate, as there is no such thing as an SUC. As long as each sentence has an error like that or a meaningless qualifier such as the word "if" or should, I wonder than he can say what he likes.

jimglas | 14. august 2019

remember:
Bighorn is always right
And Fish is always wrong

BuffaloBillsFan | 14. august 2019

+100, @lbowroom

Tronguy | 14. august 2019

Back when CU first came out with the "We don't like Teslas as much as we used to", I posted in here to all and sundry that CU is very definitely a data-driven organization. Their stuff _has_ to stand up in court because at any time there's at least one court case running where some scammy manufacturer or other is trying to get CU to change their rankings. Let it come out in discovery that CU winged it, or took money to change rankings, the News of Such Would Be Everywhere and CU would die.
So: In the August 2018 time frame, CU had another survey out. What happened: People reported M3 repairs, because, well, the early runs of cars had their issues. I'm not saying that those issues (paint, body fit, random parts, broken motors, whatever) didn't get fixed by Tesla; they did. In fact, at the time, Tesla paid Real Attention to those defects and people would show up here in shock on just how fast things were being fixed.
But CU counted on their fingers all the defects people were seeing, and into the ratings the numbers went.
At the time, in the fall, when the data came to light, I stated that all we had to do was to (in baseball parlance) "wait 'till next year!".
Well, next year is now. I did the CU survey and they were specifically asking about stuff over the past 12 months. They asked about touchscreens, driveability, gear shifts. My Prius was in the survey, too, and similar questions were asked about it, too.
I liked the one about, "Did you ever have trouble figuring out what gear you were in?" I believe that there are some EU-built cars where it _is_ actually difficult to figure out what gear one is in :).
In any case: Go forth, ye CU-subscribed Tesla Owners, and fill out the survey with _honest_ reports. Betcha we pop up in the ratings: It's not the first year the car's been on the market.

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"Their stuff _has_ to stand up in court because at any time there's at least one court case running where some scammy manufacturer or other is trying to get CU to change their rankings."@Tronguy

Nope. Very few lawsuits against CR and fewer still about ratings. CRs' ratings are good because they work at them and improve them and they are data based vs. the high emotions we see in the Tesla loyalists.

CR's reliability rating is solely based on Tesla owner responses and the high rate of repairs is one we can all attest to. So the complaints about CR "bias" are really complaints about Tesla owners stating the facts.

CR does not vet and validate owners responses that would be accepted as validated data. Not much better than rumors found on a rumor mill.

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"CR does not vet and validate owners responses that would be accepted as validated data"@M8B

Actually they do and use scientific polling techniques to get accurate answers. As we all read the CR report on Model 3, we all know it's true as we've all had to have the cars in the shop more than other cars. Coming from tops in reliability and tops and safety, Subaru, it was disappointment to have issues with the Model 3 and simply lack of functionality that other cars have had for years.

Hillary by a landslide. A honeypot question or two is not “scientific” it is old school and outdated. Matters not since demand still exceeds supply and CR, a readers digest spinoff, is not really an influence on anyone anymore.

CharleyBC | 14. august 2019

" I don’t know a single person under the age of 45 that uses it." [CR, that is]

I'm well over 45, and used CR faithfully for decades. But I dumped it about ten years ago as it became increasingly irrelevant.

FISHEV | 14. august 2019

"[CR] is not really an influence on anyone anymore."@M8B

Well there's a group here that claims it is the most influential consumer reporting group and they live in constant fear of CR's postings on Tesla.

So the actions contradict the talk.

Actually it is only you making mountains out of CR molehills with the usual flatulence.

F.vanalstine | 14. august 2019

Had my new LR RWD M3 for 2 months now. Zero defects, zero bugs, everything fits and works. Great car!

Frank

82bert | 14. august 2019

@charleybc. Fantastic to hear! Adds even more to my point of how truly irrelevant CR is.