Forums

Parked on a steep hill and got a message on my dashboard

Parked on a steep hill and got a message on my dashboard

I parked on a steep hill and a message came on the monitor...

"Incline too steep: parking brake may not hold. Move vehicle to flatter area."

Seriously?

Magic 8 Ball | 13. august 2019

Nice warning to have and I would take it seriously if it happened to me.

calvin940 | 13. august 2019

Sounds like it is being serious to me. I would certainly move it.

howard | 13. august 2019

I am sure the electric E brake has a limit. Since there is no park or low manual gear to assist I would certainly heed the warning. I keep a trailer wheel scotch in my trunk. Just in case.

vmulla | 13. august 2019

Nice!
If you can, a picture of the car on that hill will give us all an idea of how steep is too steep.

ghoop1 | 13. august 2019

If you press and hold in on the Park button on the end of the stalk a red P shows up on the screen. I’m not sure if this actually does more than just pressing once to put car in Park. I do hear a small click when the red P comes on. Owners Manual only mentions pressing Park a second time to unlock all doors to pick up passengers.

CST | 13. august 2019

Curb your wheels... should be OK. Just make sure the front wheel is contacting the curb.

terminator9 | 13. august 2019

It amazes me how many of the smaller things Tesla has tested and put in place!

mrburke | 13. august 2019

WOW !

Kary993 | 13. august 2019

Amazed but so much undocumented....

Magic 8 Ball | 13. august 2019

These are the posts that make it worthwhile hanging out here. Sharing discovery is the best.

majassow | 13. august 2019

Ummm... yeah. Didn't you learn that in driver's ed? Not a Tesla thing: Curb those wheels when parking on hills! The Tesla is just more advanced than your regular car and gives you the warning when it could be an issue.

RichardKJ | 13. august 2019

I got a ticket a few years back for not curbing my wheels in San Francisco, and it wasn't even much of a hill. They are serious (about making money).

majassow | 13. august 2019

@vemulla: SF says 3% grade. If not curbed you could be ticketed (in any car).
https://www.sfmta.com/blog/san-francisco-parking-tips-why-curbing-your-w...

vmulla | 13. august 2019

@majassow,
I'm curious what kind of slopes Model 3 can hold safely, not as interested in the laws/guidance. Purely looking at it's capabilities, that's all.

jjgunn | 13. august 2019

You have 2 choices ...
1) Chock your wheels
2) Move your vehicle

Cool message!