Forums

New update

New update

I just got notice to upload new software on my S100D. If i don't want to upload now, close the window notice on screen. I have read all the problems that people have when they update new software. I am basically electronically challenged as i am 88 and was late getting familiar with updates and computers. Should i go for the updates and hope for the best or continue to try and avoid updates.

PrescottRichard | 21. august 2019

Can’t say as I blame you!

Which version are you on? I’m guessing the update is 2019.28.3.1. Maybe that info will help.

dsteal | 21. august 2019

Personally I never had a problem with an update. Also Tesla rolls out fixes for safety purposes so I would not avoid them.

Ohmster | 21. august 2019

I have yet to refuse an update. Only a couple have been regression versus progression.

I compare auto pilot”s impression of a drunk novice driver two years ago to what it is now and am nothing short of amazed. I use it everyday.

And the stream of new features are welcome. Have yet to play a single game. Don’t care for them but don’t mind if they keep adding to the arcade either.

reed_lewis | 22. august 2019

Being a computer nerd and software developer myself, I always update to the latest software whenever it is available. I prefer to be running the 'latest and greatest' of software in most cases.

Every update for my HW2.0 autopilot seems to improve how the car handles and behaves. If there is a software issue, it is fixed quickly.

bruntonma | 22. august 2019

I would wait a bit, until you find out through the forums what the update includes. Looked at over the last three years, updates have taken away more functionality than they've added for my 90D, AP1 car. The story may be very different for AP2 and up, though...

EVRider | 22. august 2019

I haven’t seen any complaints about 2019.28.3.1, which is the latest version, and it fixes some issues. You should install it.

blundell31 | 22. august 2019

my software indicates my rev is 2018.3.9.7 also v9.0 9736c9g
Help, What does this mean. the software update message said i should update now.
idont see anything referencing 2019.28.3.1

danielk04 | 22. august 2019

Just pull your car into the garage near a wifi signal.
Press update now.
Follow onscreen instructions.
Wait one hour for update to complete.
Enjoy your car

blundell31 | 22. august 2019

danielk04, ill take your word for it. As i understand this update i update, i will be able to drive over 100 miles an hour, reduce music when i open doors, play chess with passengers and keep the air on if i leave my dog in the car. If thats all that happens i will be happy.
Txs
P.S. Im still trying to figure out how to get the front camera working. tried fat whatever, a new
thumb drive , but it still takes pics untill drive full and then stops

TranzNDance | 22. august 2019

So far so good (2 days). The streaming music doesn't glitch like it used to, and the mirrors stay folded when I fold them manually.

AIA304 | 22. august 2019

Version 2019.28.3 fixed my Bluetooth fob issue, with it not recognizing the proper keyfob and linking it to the proper driver profile. It also fixed the drivers door unlock only, as it was opening all doors even thou config was for drivers door only. I also haven’t seen and media loading errors either, however.

But after a reboot of both screens due to voice control not responding. I tried the zooming map right after the problem and the map did update the screen after a zoom in right away.

Then the driver profile link to the keyfob wouldn’t bring the proper driver profile up.....again. All after the reboot of both screens.

After yesterday’s 28.3.1 update, the unlock drivers door only wouldn’t comply with what was set in the config. Seen this before. It was opening all doors.

I give Tesla a grade of D- for the readme on their updates. Sorry there is much for improvement and transparency for what’s being updated and fixed. Seems the release notes are just copies of previous with a few lines added. Would really like to see what’s addressed in the release before adding. I realize it’s just a car, but still.

Now I’m heading back to SC to have them look why my drivers door panel has a inside gap of @1” from metal frame. Think it’s when they pulled the door off to check the Bluetooth antenna for our keyfob issue during the last visit. Looks like white pins that snap in are broken. Just like the snaps on the frunk plastic side guards, they broke too from them pulling the frunk apart to look at air suspension problems that still occur today.

Hey love this car, but there is some truth to a sticker I received working at Sun micro years back; Stop the Technology madness.

EVRider | 22. august 2019

@blundell31: Is 2018.3.9.7 the correct version? That’s from January 2018, ancient history as far as software updates go. When a new update is ready to install, it doesn’t say which version you’ll get — you won’t know until after it gets installed. If everyone else is getting a particular version at the same time, chances are that’s the one you’ll get too.

Did you mean to say you’ll be able to drive over 100mph? Not that I recommend it, but you could do that now.

If you ever use Sentry Mode, your TeslaCam USB will eventually fill up and stop recording. The dashcam will only record an hour of video and then start overwriting, unless you choose to save dashcam video. If your USB is filling up frequently, it’s probably too small — 128GB is good, larger is better. You can set up Sentry Mode so it doesn’t turn on when you park at home.

TeslaTap.com | 22. august 2019

@blundell31 - The issue when the flash drive fills up and stops recording is a known issue. In the lastest (or just one behind the latest) it now gives you an error message when full, but will still stop recording when full. Ideally, use a 128 GB or larger flash drive (formatted for FAT32), so goes longer without stopping. Here's a lot more details and instructions: https://teslatap.com/articles/usb-flash-drives-for-tesla-dashcam/

mike | 23. august 2019

@danielk04 wrote: Just pull your car into the garage near a wifi signal. Press update now.

My experience has been that when your car presents you with the option to perform an update, it means that the new software has already been downloaded to your car and you do not need a WiFi connection to perform the update.

barrykmd | 23. august 2019

^^ Yup

kerryglittle | 23. august 2019

Just curious but if you skipped say an update or two and then uploaded the next one would it also update the other ones? Or would the previous updates be included or be lost? Silly question I know.

bp | 23. august 2019

Vehicles skip software updates all of the time - since Tesla usually distributes an update in batches and often begins distributing the next update before its finished fully deploying the previous update. It's not unusual for some vehicles to miss updates.

So it appears when a new update appears ready to install - it should be the latest available update, and it doesn't matter what version of the software is currently installed.

Tesla really needs to provide more information and control over the software updates - such as displaying release notes/version information PRIOR to installing the update, and providing much more information in the release notes, including any major issues/problems fixed in a release.

And what happened to the Early Access Program that was promised to all FSD owners earlier this year???

EVRider | 23. august 2019

@kerryglittle: Tesla software updates are cumulative, so if you skip one you won’t miss anything.

@bp: Elon now says that anyone who purchased FSD (regardless of when) will get priority access to updates, but that’s not the Early Access Program.

@mike: Cars without Premium Connectivity will actually prompt you to connect to WiFi before downloading the update, but at this time that only applies to some Model 3’s.

Qwiksilver | 23. august 2019

@bp

+1

NKYTA | 23. august 2019

@EVRider +2

thranx | 23. august 2019

Our dog approves latest update.

blundell31 | 23. august 2019

ok, the update completed . the difference other than the things it said were updated are :
The car steering wheel used to vibrate if you crossed the center or road separation lines.The car does not do thay anymore . there is nothing to indicate you are over the lines. I m sorry they removed that.
I still feel they should have an audible if you are backing up and someone enters your backup area. Either car or pedestrian. This is such an important feature i cant believe the car does not have it. I understand you see more area but a car can quickly enter your space and you wont
see it. Thanks for the info from readers

NKYTA | 23. august 2019

"The car steering wheel used to vibrate if you crossed the center or road separation lines."

Check that the setting for auto-lane-warning hasn't changed.

hammer @OR-US | 23. august 2019

"I still feel they should have an audible if you are backing up and someone enters your backup area. Either car or pedestrian."

It does, check that you don't have it muted. And as NKYTA said, also check your lane departure warning setting. Software updates will sometimes change settings on you.

johncrab | 23. august 2019

Another notification of an update this morning makes five in the past six days and I’m ignoring this one too. This barrage of updates tells me they are playing whack-a-mole at Tesla rather than taking a systems approach. Do they even bother to test this stuff? I don’t see how they can with almost one update per day.

PrescottRichard | 23. august 2019

That sounds like a problem johncrab. ‘Cause you’re right, they aren’t doing daily updates.

FWIW- I sent a message to service via my vehicle’s webpage because after the last update my car’s status is ‘software update in progress’ Even though the car is charging and driving fine. So we have opposite issues with the same update I bet. 2016 Model S 90D.

You can always try the resets, brake pedal reset and turning the car off. Didn’t help me but maybe it’ll help you!

@johncrab "Another notification of an update this morning makes five in the past six days and I’m ignoring this one too."

You do realize that telling the car not to install the update doesn't make the staged update go away. The same update reminds you every time you get in the car until you install it. There aren't 5 different updates.

NKYTA | 23. august 2019

+1 @hammer

blundell31 | 23. august 2019

nkyta and hammer
there is no screen where i can find a mute button or lane warning or backup warning and this is a late 2018 S100D Tesla. The screen i use is the automobile sign at the bottom of screen. the lane change warning has just vanished. I also tried to add wi fi and it would not work The other problem, the manual, it has nothing related to the software on this vehicle. Is there an updated manual somewhere? It is great to be able to discuss problems on this site but you would think there is someone at Tesla that could answer these software related questions. txs for your help

Lane departure warning is in the car settings under the autopilot tab. It's in the manual under autopilot:

Lane Departure Warning alerts you of
undesired lane departures by vibrating the
steering wheel slightly if a front wheel passes
over a lane marking and the associated turn
signal is off. To turn this warning on or off,
touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure
Warning.

The mute/unmute for the backup warning chimes is in the bottom left corner of the camera/ultrasonic sensor window that comes up when you shift into reverse. Blue is muted.

NKYTA | 23. august 2019

Not sure lane departure warning works when not on TACC in the latest update.
Pretty sure lane departure “assist” doesn’t work unless you are on TACC and AP==auto lane keeping.

spudnik1302 | 24. august 2019

The Model 3 seems beautiful, but I don't know if I really want to wait 18 months to get that car. Additionally, as stated before, I think the free supercharging is very beneficial. The Model S is pretty obviously the nicer of the two cars, as Elon Musk has said himself, but I just don't know if spending nearly $100,000 on a new 100D car with all of the bells and whistles is worth it when I could spend half of that for a car that can do essentially the same things.

Bill_75D | 24. august 2019

Flagged spudnik for not having a clue.

PrescottRichard | 24. august 2019

Bill, THAT made me LOL.

Well, giggle.

EVRider | 24. august 2019

@NKYTA: The lane departure warning features do work when not using Autosteer, which is when you need them.

dsteal | 24. august 2019

Lane departure warning is annoying. It vibrates my steering wheel at weird times. Like when I don't feel like using my turn signal.... I turned it off. Then tried it again. Then turned it off again for good. ;)

barrykmd | 24. august 2019

I like lane depature warning.

You should always use your turn signal. To not use it is rude and inconsiderate.

NKYTA | 24. august 2019

@EV, then it’s broken on 28.3.1 for my wife’s 3.

RAR | 24. august 2019

@EV and @NKYTA The lane departure warning does not work on 2019.28.3.1 when not using TACC. It works when using TACC. I consider that a bug. Tested several times this afternoon on clearly marked road.
2017 S90D AP2.0

johncrab | 24. august 2019

@hammer - You got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not talking about ignoring the nag screen in the car. I'm talking about my phone pinging me with a new notification about yet another update. Five different updates in one week.

hammer @OR-US | 24. august 2019

"Five different updates in one week."

If you dont install them how do you know it's five different updates? In four and a half years of ownership I have never seen of heard of five different update in one week. Two max.

NKYTA | 24. august 2019

@johncrab doesn’t understand. RTFM dude.

blundell31 | 25. august 2019

EV rider i agree with RAR. lane warning does not work when you are not on tac even though on the autopilot screen shows it is on. That is odd. Before the update I did not have autopilot but i did get lane departure warning Also the backup warning does not have an audio until the area u are backing in to is hit. You do get a visual indication that you are getting closer to hit something but it does not audio alarm to tell you that a pedestrian or another vehicle has entered your space. That is dangerous for all old ,New Hampshire expats backing up in Florida parking lots.

Bill_75D | 25. august 2019

My car triggers an audio alert when the obstacle is 12" from the bumper, but not before.

blundell31 | 25. august 2019

Thanks Bill75D
Thats the way mine works. But I have had Lexus LS from the first LS400 and any time anything enters that backup zone you get an immediate
audible beep. I feel strongly this vehicle should have that feature..

dickrudy | 30. august 2019

put a 500 hard drive in and works great

nukequazar | 01. september 2019

Wow, new spammer method! Copy/paste a comment and add a spam link. Lame.

Looking at you, @harabhara1320 and @appsvilla2. Hopefully nobody here is gullible enough to click.

Flagged!

NKYTA | 01. september 2019

No, we just flag an move on.

vlovesfood | 02. september 2019

They have some amazing update on this model, absolutely love it.

crannxx13 | 03. september 2019

EV rider i agree with RAR. lane warning does not work when you are not on tac even though on the autopilot screen shows it is on. That is odd. Before the update I did not have autopilot but i did get lane departure warning Also the backup warning does not have an audio until the area u are backing in to is hit. You do get a visual indication that you are getting closer to hit something but it does not audio alarm to tell you that a pedestrian or another vehicle has entered your space. That is dangerous for all old ,New Hampshire expats backing up in Florida parking lots.

my issue got solved!!

Pages