Forums

Saudi Oil production cut in half in drone strike

Saudi Oil production cut in half in drone strike

Sounds like gas prices will be going up after the rebels took out 5% of the worlds oil production.

Anyone selling their EV to support the fighting in the middle east?

Bighorn | 14. september 2019

Yemen finally struck back. And it just took a couple drones to lay up half of their production.

SamO | 14. september 2019

The Guild and the entire universe depends on spice. He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing. When the spice flow stops, all eyes will turn to Arrakis.

RedShift | 14. september 2019

Who here is feeling smug today? Come on, admit it. Don’t be shy.

gballant4570 | 14. september 2019

I don't know what gas costs any more. I still buy some of it from time to time, but not enough to know or care about the price.....

SamO | 14. september 2019

I haven’t purchased a tank of gas in quite a while not thought of how the price of that particular commodity affects me.

Yes I’m pleased I don’t have to think about the vagaries of that poisonous substance and how price increases likely increase demand for all electric vehicles.

#DriveFree

WantMY | 14. september 2019

This is great news for the stock market. Oil goes up so is DOW, lol

Lonestar10_1999 | 14. september 2019

Inflation will spike up along with the overall cost of living. Owning a BEV is a small hedge but everyone is going to see prices rise.

Hang on to your wallet. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Teslanene | 14. september 2019

Any jump on the oil market will get faded as Saudi confirm it will be back online in a couple of days.

TexasBob | 14. september 2019

Watching closely here. Very unclear if this only impacts crude or also refined products (crude is an easier problem to solve) and if Aramco will re-balance by curbing crude exports or by cutting into its end-product shipments. Also how badly damaged and how long it is out. Brent up $10 earlier today. Could be a bumpy ride for economy.

Would be nice if policy guys re-learned the lesson that George W Bush did when he gave his "addicted to oil" speech and launched pretty much every single incentive program that created the EV market ever since. (Most people believe the $7,500 tax credit was an Obama creation. It was not. It was a Bush creation to "break our addiction to oil."

bp | 14. september 2019

+1 SamO for the reference.

jjgunn | 14. september 2019

What's gas? And oil??

kevin_rf | 14. september 2019

Oh noh's the cost of tires will goes up, this means bancwrucies for all....

poonam_dv | 14. september 2019

I just checked the gas prices and it went up again. With my model 3 I never have to look at another gas station again. My area is a complete Tesla dominated and we sure have lots of chargers here. Pretty soon gasoline will be a thing of a past and we don't have to get involved in future oil wars

Devilstower | 14. september 2019

I'll allow myself to feel slightly smug only when I'm confident that this doesn't mean we're getting involved in a war with Iran.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 16. september 2019

TexasBob: I keep trying to inform EV NaySayers that their constant attribution of 'Carbon Credits' and 'Green Agenda' are entirely misplaced on the shoulders of President Barack Obama. Indeed, the Federal Plugin Tax Credit was signed into law by President George W Bush in 2007, before the 2008 Financial Collapse, so it had NOTHING to do with bailout programs for Detroit automakers or anyone else. The law had been deferred to take effect for cars sold beginning January 1, 2010. The only involvement by the Obama Administration was a concession to allow vehicles such as the Chevrolet VOLT and Ford FUSION Energi to be eligible for the benefit.

Further, the ZEV Credit program was created at the request of Detroit automakers who asked that the same programs used for CARB Compliance in the Great State of California had the additional benefit of being a multiplier effect on their national CAFE rating. Thereby reducing their potential for exposure to NHTSA fines by artificially improving the fuel economy of their fleets sold for use in the U.S. It had nothing to do with Carbon at all. And it became a reality in 1990, during the George H.W. Bush Administration, 13 years before Tesla was founded, 18 years before Tesla sold their first car.

Thanks for the link!

TexasBob | 16. september 2019

ReD - It is instructive that just a few years ago - and from the days of Nixon all the way through Bush 41 - this was a bi-partisan agenda (especially on the transport side). The only objective thing that has changed since 2008 is that the evidence for climate change is far, far stronger and the urgency is greater. To borrow a phrase from DJT: "SAD"

On the subjective side, the political consultants discovered the potential to create a wedge issue and spent billions to divide the nation for short-term political gain. Evil.

gmr6415 | 16. september 2019

We've come a long way baby!!

https://vimeo.com/360349235

cascadiadesign | 16. september 2019

What me worry?

Seriously, I hope we stay out of it other than giving satellite & other reconnaissance data. Isn't the reason we sell arms is so they can defend themselves?

Bighorn | 16. september 2019

Saudis have killed 100s of thousands of Houthis, targeting women and children, and we get concerned when the oil burns. Nice.

Tyguy | 16. september 2019

Expensive fuel is economically bad for all of regardless of whether or not you drive EV. ICE will feel it more directly at the pump, but all goods including our Teslas are shipped using fossil fuels, from raw materials to final products. We'll all feel a pinch in the price of goods and services if fuel prices surge.

Conversely, more people may move to EV in such a situation, including the trucking industry, so that's good.

rxlawdude | 16. september 2019

@SamO, "The Guild and the entire universe depends on spice. He who can destroy a thing, controls a thing. When the spice flow stops, all eyes will turn to Arrakis."

Now you've Dune it.

Mike83 | 16. september 2019

Harvesting the Spice is getting very expensive. The House Harkonnen desires to control the melange as the Baron wishes absolute power to control and rule the universe.

kevin_rf | 16. september 2019

This is why I prefer my worms nicely pickled at the bottom of a glass bottle.

Garyeop | 16. september 2019

+1 SamO. Now where did I hide my underground lake?

JAD | 16. september 2019

As Bighorn said, "Saudis have killed 100s of thousands of Houthis, targeting women and children, and we get concerned when the oil burns. Nice."

We are not a good species.

AWDTesla | 16. september 2019

I have 2 snowmobiles, 2 dirtbikes, 2 seadoos to fill up. I'm long ways away from being a gas free household.

jimglas | 16. september 2019

@bighorn: that summarizes our priorities very well

-TheJohn- | 16. september 2019

Amen Bighorn.