Forums

How many of us DO NOT use the regen braking?

How many of us DO NOT use the regen braking?

My settings is with it off (or I guess low is only other choice). Drives like a standard ICE car then. See green in wattage gage so it is giving back a bit.
My wife loves it and "single pedal driving".

It makes me ill. Gives me a belly ache to use it.
The regenerative braking doesn't really add much mileage anyhow. Guess I am killing my brake pads by using the friction brakes more.

But cant stand the feeling of it.

Anybody else?

CooHead

EVRider | 20. september 2019

I guess I haven't heard anyone complain about getting ill from regen braking. Did you test drive a Tesla before buying one?

The only settings are Low and Standard. Maybe you'll get used to it eventually.

Earl and Nagin ... | 20. september 2019

@CooHead,
The folks I know who dislike regen' generally are those who are used to lifting off the gas and coasting to a stop. If you do that, you'll always experience max regen' and I can see how some might not like it. If you slowly let off the accelerator as you approach a stop, you may find it more tolerable.
It is slightly more efficient and it definitely does reduce brake wear.
If you really don't like it, that's why Tesla gives you the choice and you're cool because you drive a Tesla, regardless of whether you use regen'!

Tesla-David | 20. september 2019

Seven year owner and absolutely love regen (standard) mode, with zero issues getting used to it. I wish there was a higher regen setting. Hardly use brakes at all with regen use.

sbeggs | 20. september 2019

Five and a half years in, and regen is my favorite aspect of the Model S.

DanFoster1 | 20. september 2019

Learn to control your foot better.

TranzNDance | 20. september 2019

+1 to improving control. You probably do not slam on the brake pedal since that would also make you ill and you didn't complain about that. You need to let off the accelerator pedal in a controlled way like when you press the brake pedal for a non-emergency stop.

CooHead | 20. september 2019

I did try using it for the first couple weeks.
I had to describe it to the wife and understand the whole aspect of it. Told her let off throttle like you depress brake pedal. "sometimes you brake 44% sometimes 87% sometimes 33%...sometimes 61.6% and gently let off to 40.88% and then 12% and then 3% when almost stopped. That is how you let off the "gas" pedal. SOmetimes all the way, but usually some fraction of taking foot off".

So, yea, I know. I tried. I used it correctly and smoothly and fluidly. Just gives me a queezy feeling all the time.

I previously asked here how much wattage/milage it puts back in. Consensus was very little. If a full battery gave me 250 miles with regen, the exact same trip with no regen might be 248? (or some such small amount). So I'm not wasting many electrons not using it. As stated, I understand that the brake pads might not last the typical 100,000 miles. And I know I am dirtying my rims with brake dust more than most of us.

She drives it 75% of the time and loves the regen so there's that. Just wondering if I'm the only one that doesn't use it.

Coo

TranzNDance | 20. september 2019

I'm curious, do you get sick when you're a passenger and your wife is driving? Do you dislike roller coaster rides? The one time I felt sick, I was in the backseat of an ICEV where the driver was hitting the brake pedal too much.

Anyway, everyone's different, and you tried your best. :)

NKYTA | 20. september 2019

It is really dependent on the route. If you are driving in mountainous terrain you'd really be killing your brake pads and losing out on a LOT of energy regain.

But if you don't drive in the mountains, not a big problem.

Coming back from Tahoe, I don't use a rated mile from the top of Donner Pass to Auburn (58 road miles). Going from the top of Hwy 50 East, you actually gain 18 or so rated miles down to Lake Tahoe level.

nukequazar | 20. september 2019

I want stronger regen braking! I think it’s awesome, one of my favorite features of EV’s. It’s especially great for performance driving, even better than manual trans in an ICE when driving curvy roads. I’ve driven an i3 and the regen is so strong you really can drive single-pedal if you’re careful.

Our Model has stronger regen, so when I rarely drive it, it’s an adjustment for sure. Haven’t taken it to Tahoe yet...

Shesmyne2 | 20. september 2019

NKYTA meant the 3 not the S

Still Grinning ;-)

PrescottRichard | 20. september 2019

NKYTA- I’m guessing that is Model 3, I’ve heard the regen is stronger than the S.

I wonder how long before regen replaces the rear brakes :)

I did mean the 3. The wife is ALWAYS right!

@Prescott, it is extremely notable to me. Maybe BH can chime in.

GHammer | 20. september 2019

The best thing about driving a Tesla is the instant acceleration.
The second best thing about driving a Tesla is regen braking.

@hammer +2

tigerkc | 20. september 2019

Our model 3 AWD has stronger regen than our S75. I like the stronger regen on the 3. I wish it has sport mode setting for even stronger regen.

MAB1980 | 21. september 2019

@ PrescottRichard

Probably never. When you fully charge your car, leaving no capacity for regen, what happens?

PrescottRichard | 21. september 2019

Ha! Good point. That’ll teach ya to top off... no brakes.

CooHead | 21. september 2019

T N D....I am rarely the passenger when we are both going somewhere in the S75D. I want to drive! So don't know if her driving and using regen gives me the same queezy feeling. Good question tho. Will let her drive next time and see how it goes. It is her car and she drives it to work (104 miles round trip). I only get to drive it from time to time.

And yes, I do not go on roller coaster! Every couple of years I'd try one with the kids at Great America (amusement park). End up walking around feeling like puking for an hour after. Have not tried one in years....not going to either.

I even get queezy if at R/R crossing and watch the train going past. Have to look down or play with the radio or whatever. I cant watch a merry-go-round or a video of an assembly machine because that gets me too. So I know my vertigo is the issue.

If I ever drove in mountains I would for sure activate re-gen to help contain speed with out friction brakes and get some wattage back. But we live in Illinois....no mountains or even hills.

Guess I am one of the very few that does not use it.
I know most everybody likes it and loves it and best part of the car. UNderstood. I imagine 99% of the owners could chime in here they love it and it is awesome. My wife included. Just wondered if I was the only one....guess I am.

Coo

SamO | 21. september 2019

The first time I drive my aunt in my Model S, she had a vertigo attack for the first time in 10 years. In an S60.

You are not the only one.

That said, perhaps you can leave the car in Valet mode which will restrict acceleration which may be adding to the feeling.

Imagine you have a hot cup of coffee on the dash and try to keep it balanced. That sort of accelerating and decelerating should keep the queasiness down.

Maxxer | 21. september 2019

If you had driven an EV before an ICE you'd say the reverse

Just get used to new things.

try them first for 6 months and then you can choose because you will have mastered both

PrescottRichard | 21. september 2019

I’ve been in Chill mode for so long I forget if the regen is affected by it. I don’t think so, but that’s something to try out.

I wonder how much Tesla can manipulate the regen with software? For those who want more or less. Seems like there’s a short ‘coast’ before it kicks in when lifting off the accelerator so that may be adjustable.

geo.teepe | 22. september 2019

Regenerative Braking is a somewhat misleading term. Nothing is being regenerated. The kinetic energy of the rather heavy car is generating juice and putting it into the battery.The braking is just the result. (wonderful byproduct)
Regenerating is is a major range extender, not using it is not taking full advantage of the wonderful car you bought.

EVRider | 22. september 2019

@geo.teepe: One definition of regeneration is “utilization by special devices of heat or other products that would ordinarily be lost,” so it’s not that misleading. The energy captured by regen braking would otherwise be lost as heat.

SO | 22. september 2019

I love regen. For me it’s more about the convenience of 1 pedal driving and saving the brakes.

aaaaannestone | 23. september 2019

Recently I've read the interesting information on this topic and I want to share it with you
"Moving vehicles have a lot of kinetic energy, and when brakes are applied to slow a vehicle, all of that kinetic energy has to go somewhere. Back in the Neanderthal days of internal combustion engine cars, brakes were solely friction based and converted the kinetic energy of the vehicle into wasted heat in order to decelerate a car. All of that energy was simply lost to the environment."

aaaaannestone | 23. september 2019

I totally agree with this article "To evaluate regenerative braking, we really need to look at two different parameters, efficiency and effectiveness. Despite sounding similar, the two are quite different. Efficiency refers to how well regenerative braking captures ‘lost’ energy from braking. Does it waste a lot of energy as heat, or does it turn all of that kinetic energy back into stored energy? Effectiveness, on the other hand, refers to how large of an impact regenerative braking really makes. Does it measurably increase your range, or will you not notice much of a difference?"

geo.teepe | 23. september 2019

My trip to the Arctic Ocean could not have been accomplished with out regenerating.

CooHead | 23. september 2019

G.T.
From what I have learned, regen does not add much to range. Sure, it adds something which is good, but very little range extension. It saves brake pads and dust on wheels so that is good. It is quick and conviant and easier one pedal driving and most everybody likes it, so that is a plus.

But I have not seen where it a game changer and adds a "meaningfull" distant to range. A couple miles per full battery--> great. But certainly not 10-15-20%

Coo

NKYTA | 23. september 2019

@Coo,

Find a mountain.
Drive up the mountain.
Regen down the mountain.
Report results.

@coo
Apparently you have not been in situations where regeneration was the difference between being stranded on the Dempster Highway Yukon and making it to the next outlet.
NKYTA 's( Find a Mountain)tells it better than anything I can say .

Frank99 | 23. september 2019

CooHead -
I think you're mistaken about the amount of energy that regeneration returns to the battery. It's one of the reasons that EVs have higher City mileage than Highway mileage (ICE is opposite) - City driving involves many accelerate/brake cycles; in an ICE all the energy expended to accelerate the car is thrown away, where some percentage of that is recovered and put back in the battery in an EV. If you were able to turn off regeneration, I'd guess you'd find that it made an imperceptible difference to normal highway driving (not those crossing the continental divide daily), but you'd take a huge hit in city driving.

Your OP made me go out and turn regen to "low" in my car a couple of days ago. Frankly, I found it a more relaxing and smoother driving experience. I don't have to be as precise with the throttle; letting off the throttle smoothly creates a small amount of braking that works well for me in majority of braking situations. With Regen, I have to pay closer attention to small, smooth throttle changes to have the same effect. I don't really notice it when I'm alone in the car, but with passengers I work hard to be smooth, and high regen means I have to work harder.

I think putting Regen on low has minimal impact on range. The car is still regenerating power back into the battery, just at a lower level than in Normal Regen. If you, like me, normally release the throttle a long way from a light/stop sign, there's probably no difference in range. If you prefer driving into a red light and braking hard to come to a stop, then normal regen will be preferable as you'll do less braking and more regenerating. In SoCal stop-and-go, which involves a lot of accelerating and rapid stopping (can't let someone get ahead of you, donchano), normal Regen probably WILL have a lot of impact on range; fortunately, I moved out of there and don't have to worry about that.

An additional consideration is that I don't have to worry about my brake lights as much. If I punch it to get around someone, and release the throttle afterwards to get back down to the speed limit, I don't have to worry about it looking like I'm "brake checking" someone - they won't see my brake lights flash if I have Regen on low (I don't think; I'll have to test that). I know that in normal mode, if I pay close attention, I'm sure that my brake lights flash a lot more than they would in an ICE.

I've owned my Model 3 for a year and a half, and 16000 miles, and I'm now re-evaluating whether I'll keep Regen on low, or transition back to Normal.

And, finally, if you've tried Normal regen and it screws with you, don't use it. It's not heretical, it's personal. Keep the grin.

EVs have regen put in at great expense, if it has no or little effect, why have they done that/

jordanrichard | 23. september 2019

Nobody said regen adds range as in seeing the rated miles go up. What it does is prolong when the rated miles display indicates a change. In other words, as an example, you travel 1.5 miles before the rated miles goes down by 1.

teslu3 | 23. september 2019

This past weekend I travelled over CA74 down to Palm Desert. The last 22 miles went from 73% battery left to 75%.
Standard regen makes hillls, switchbacks and slowing for traffic lights much more efficient and comfortable than having to ride the brakes.

All good points people.

I'm new to the electric car.
One of my first posts here was asking how much regen adds back in, how far it extends, net gain.
The common answer was not much. Doesn't add much mileage, or range or SOC. It was pointed out, and continues to be highlighted that it is great and easy. Save brake pads and dust. In cities it adds more (but still not a lot). Mountains it is best as coming down from 10,000 feet will add in a solid 2-3-4% or equal number of miles.

I'm in all agreement on that.

I just rarely read many posts about anybody getting queezy from it, so I asked. I did see a TopGear show where they mentioned the camera guy was getting sea sick in the car.....but not many other mentions.

I have it disengaged for my profile setting.
If I could hook up a small wind turbin on the roof...Now we REALLY be talking about adding back some range whilst drive!

j/k of course

Coo

mbirnie51 | 23. september 2019

YES it does add rated miles to your range, I've gotten a plus 18 miles going down from Silverthorn CO into Denver and plus 8 miles from Mt Shasta into Redding CA.

6 years ago my MS had great regen, then with a software update due to someone's complaint, the entire fleet lost that degree of regen (to my shagrin). How about another update, I'd like to choose my degree of regen and it would be far greater than what is offered now on my MX.

YES it does.
Adds a few miles (18 or 8) on a long mountain down hill.

At least we can limit regen like I want and do.
But for you that would like more, seems like it would be an easy software change.

PrescottRichard | 23. september 2019

The thing is, once you master the one pedal driving the car stopping doesn’t have to be so dramatic. In fact, you can slow just as a conventional car with the added benefit of gathering energy.

FWIW when you are usually the driver, and you wind up in a passenger seat you’ll always feel stopping, acceleration, turns, etc more than you are used to feeling.

I came from a Prius, the Tesla has a LOT more capacity to capture energy! All those hybrid cars and electric cars wouldn’t have that system if it wasn’t worth the weight / costs involved IMO.

Bobblec | 23. september 2019

I love std regen setting and with a litle anticipation usually use brakes under 8 mph or urgent situations. it only took a few sudden decelerations to master accelerator modulation to be very smooth with it. The problem I had until the buyer took my hybrid a couple days after receiving our first Tesla was the feeling I was in cruise control when I released the accelerator and it didn't slow down. My regen experience coming back to Denver from Winter Park is in line with mbirnie51 and have made the entire 80 mile tri with no brake use until the last 1.5 miles of off freeway f\driving.

Bobblec | 23. september 2019

I love std regen setting and with a litle anticipation usually use brakes under 8 mph or urgent situations. it only took a few sudden decelerations to master accelerator modulation to be very smooth with it. The problem I had until the buyer took my hybrid a couple days after receiving our first Tesla was the feeling I was in cruise control when I released the accelerator and it didn't slow down. My regen experience coming back to Denver from Winter Park is in line with mbirnie51 and have made the entire 80 mile tri with no brake use until the last 1.5 miles of off freeway f\driving.

sbeggs | 23. september 2019

How many of us DO NOT follow the instructions in the thread title?

sklancha | 23. september 2019

@OP- there is nothing wrong with choosing the regen setting you find the most comfortable. I was at an EV car event this weekend, and one of the most common reasons for interest in the Bolt and new generation Leaf- they provided a level of familiarity to what they are used to. Sometimes people just aren't ready to make all those changes at once. The Bolt has a stick shift and a bunch of knobs and dials. The Gen 2 Leaf even has an analog speedometer and got rid of all those 'high tech or futuristic looking displays.

Regen doesn't cause your car to slow down any faster or slower than traditional brakes. It's just a different route to zero mph. If you find it difficult to learn and you are more sensitive to less predictable changes in motion- do what works for you and don't worry about the rest of us. Better to drive an EV and miss out on regen benefits than to drive an ICE!

I personally am a huge regen fan and would be thrilled if Tesla would give us an even more aggressive regen ability. Ironically, the only time I've had anybody have 'motion sickness' is when Fabio was fully charged, preventing my references from kicking in. Since there is no obvious sound difference, the sudden need to decelerate with my brakes will turn my stomach and even nauseate my colleagues once in a while.

I didn't have too much problem transitioning to regen breaking in the Tesla, but admit that our regen in the Leaf was choppier, and I can nauseate myself quite readily these early weeks as a Bolt owner.

geo.teepe | 24. september 2019

One is always using regen.
It is only a question how much.(standard or low) Without regenerating, an EV would not make much sense.
The range would be so low you would not buy one

Yodrak. | 24. september 2019

What I feel with the standard regenerative braking in my S 75D is that initially its not much but then increases ultimately coming to a crawl. Requires using the brake pedal to come to a complete stop even though I do not have 'crawl' activated. I would prefer if the regenerative braking came on stronger immediately, and would bring the car to a complete stop, but overall I am quite satisfied.

So, like most other responders, I find the regenerative braking to be one of the best features of an EV. Love it.

don.lind | 24. september 2019

Model 3 AWD... Regen is great... you (almost) never pull completely off the "go" pedal... you just modulate it so everything is smooth. I would suggest that no one could possibly tell that I was doing regen braking in general. It's smooth and calm. Unless I don't anticipate enough and have to actually hit the brake.

ANYWAY, more on CA 74 (Ortega Highway) in Orange and Riverside counties in SoCal. Driving from San Juan (on the coast) up the Ortega... it's about a 3000 foot climb for the first 24 miles. Then the 4 mile "drop" down to the lake. The 24 mile climb uses lots of range. After the 4-miles of road that drop down to the lake, you'll have gained about 4 to 6 miles of range rather than used 4 miles of range. On the way back, it's even more amazing... the 4 miles of climb will use 10 or so miles of range. The next 20 miles of generally downhill driving will use NO range at all... I guess if your road is completely flat and you never stop at all, regen adds nothing... but even small hills give lots of opportunity to recover some of the electricity you spent climbing them.

NKYTA | 24. september 2019

@Yodrak, at higher speeds it is stronger. 60kW When it comes to a crawl 5-6 mph, is when you need to engage brakes.

I think you meant Creep, but that is neither here nor there.