Forums

Tesla body work

Tesla body work

Had a small accident, minor damage to rear of vehicle. Is it better to have Tesla repair it or a regular body shop? Anyone with any experience?

Passion2Fly | 23. september 2019

Are you paying for the repairs or the insurance? The price difference between a regular body shop and a Tesla approved body shop is astronomical.

TeslaTap.com | 23. september 2019

The big question is it really minor or not. A bumper replacement is actually fairly easy. It's what's behind it, if damaged that can get really expensive (i.e. bent frame, etc.).

Tesla's own body shop is supposed to have bumpers in stock, so it might be a very quick job if that's all there is to it. A non-Tesla approved body shop can also do a good job, but they may not have access to Tesla specific parts or tools, and are likely not trained on it.

hoffenberg | 24. september 2019

A dent below the license plate area. Not the bumper. Am paying myself, body shop quotes around 700$

Passion2Fly | 24. september 2019

I had an orange size bump on the rear quarter panel of my M3. Body shop fixed it + paint for $1,400 and 3 days of work... Tesla body shop recommended to replace the entire quarter panel for $18,000 and 45 days of work...

hoffenberg | 24. september 2019

Wow!!!!

RAUDIKAL | 24. september 2019

@Passion2Fly- I am not surprised.