Forums

Home charging question

Home charging question

We have solar on a net metering agreement. We have excess generation but a component of our bill is a peak demand charge. We have a Tesla charger at home. For 6 months during the cooler months our non charging peak demand goes way down. If we keep charging the way we have been the electric bill will have an extra $50 charge per month, not a deal breaker. To keep this lower we can charge our model 3 slower. It seems like this has to be manually set up for each charging session? Is there a way to set the car up to charge at a slower rate when at home without pressing buttons every charge session? In other words, can I semi permanently limit charging to 12 or 20 Amps rather than 30 or 48? Thank you

Hal Fisher | 25. september 2019

That’s odd. I thought it stays at the last setting depending on the location. Maybe your slightly changing the spot your charging it at (like one side of the garage or the other) and that’s throwing it off?

tigerkc | 25. september 2019

If you can change the charging rate (amperage) on the car's touch screen by tapping the + or - icon, and the car should remember it based on the GPS location. It works correctly on our model S and 3.

PrescottRichard | 25. september 2019

I guess a more DRASTIC way to do this if you’re using the HPWC is to set the dip switches to a lower amperage. That’s prolly a LOT more work to change every few months.

My memory was the car stays at whichever amperage you set, at least on my S. Still, I can’t swear to it as I leave it at 40 (we have net metering :).

pkmantmc | 25. september 2019

Change the amperage on screen or buy and install other NEMA adapter with lower charging speed.

Frank99 | 26. september 2019

Set the charging time to start AFTER peak hours. You'll lose a few hours of charging a day, but you won't have to worry about the car impacting your demand. For me, peak hours are 3-8PM. If I was charging with 120V, I'd set charging to start at 8:00 PM. I'm a nice guy, however, and use 240V/32A charging, so I set charging to start at 1:00 AM. Still adds 200 miles of range by 8:00 AM.