Forums

Charging "pumps"??? LOL!!!

Charging "pumps"??? LOL!!!

I bet she hits the "gas pedal" too!
You'd think that editors would catch this stuff when authors are this bad!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2019/10/13/in-the-us-electri...

MAB1980 | 13. oktober 2019

Shrug. Potential is a good analog to pressure, and current to flow rate.

Pg3ibew | 13. oktober 2019

Except for the PUMP thing, it is an interesting article. And the author is 100 percent correct about people that rent apartments. In the NYC area, if you do not own a home, you are shit out of luck when it comes to charging. Tesla and Other cars.

raqball | 13. oktober 2019

Who cares what people call them.. Charge pumps, gas pedal ect…

People are set in their ways and their terminology. If someone want to call it a charge pump or a gas pedal then so be it as long as they are driving one! :)

calvin940 | 13. oktober 2019

@raqball | October 13, 2019
Who cares what people call them.. Charge pumps, gas pedal ect…
---------------------
Because when they call them things they aren't, it then calls into question any other points they make where the reader may not actually know enough to see the mistakes. As an example, maybe someone was writing a piece about surgeries or medicine and they kept making references to terminology or items that aren't correct. I may not know enough to know the correct terminology. Then I speak with someone else about the subject citing terminology used and the person who is knowledgeable basically corrects me on everything that was wrong with what I know. It makes me look silly and reduces the credibility of publications.

At that point, why bother reading.

If you are going to write a piece, get the data and terminology correct or don't bother writing it.

raqball | 13. oktober 2019

calvin940 | October 13, 2019
Because when they call them things they aren't, it then calls into question any other points they make where the reader may not actually know enough to see the mistakes.
-----------------------------------------
Okay I agree from a journalism standpoint.. Someone writing a journalism piece should get the terminology correct.

But if regular ole Joe or Jane want to call them those things I am cool with that..

MAB1980 | 13. oktober 2019

Meh, even Tesla’s official terminology for charging rate is erroneous (“miles per hour”), as if the government terminology for efficiency (“miles per gallon e”). It’s fine; people understand what it means.

Lonestar10_1999 | 13. oktober 2019

@calvin940 - I would give license to the author for choosing phrases that are appropriate for the target audience, ICE drivers.

The article reinforces my position that expanding EV charging infrastructure is the biggest hurdle for mass EV adoption. If migrating ICE drivers to EV is in the national interest, then expanding the EV infrastructure should be a national priority with programs proposed by the president and funding provided by congress.

As revolutionary and transformative as Tesla is, the Tesla SC network cannot sustain the transportation needs of the country if mass EV adoption comes to fruition. Political vision and leadership is needed if EV is ever going to overtake ICE.

Wedger | 13. oktober 2019

Do you keep gloves in your Glovebox? Jockeys used to, when they drove the horse drawn carriage. Lots of terms carryover as technology changes.

jordanrichard | 13. oktober 2019

Wedger, and that carried over to cars because for decades cars had wood steering wheels and wearing leather gloves would provide a firm grip.

I agree that the correct terminology should be used. BTW “gas pedal” is a layman’s term. It is called an accelerator pedal. You don’t buy a diesel VW and call is a diesel pedal.......

bjrosen | 13. oktober 2019

There actually is a thing called a charge pump, it's a method for boosting DC voltages using capacitors, highly doubtful that they would be used in a DC fast charger, the method is used for very low power applications.

As for the article, I've never seen anyone call a charger a pump before, it was weird. People call EVSEs chargers and even though that's technically wrong, it's only a little wrong in Stuart's sense on the Big Bang Theory, i.e. it's a little wrong to call a tomato a vegetable it's very wrong to call it a suspension bridge.

jordanrichard | 13. oktober 2019

Bjrosen +1. People often and wrongly call Tesla’s HPWC a charger. The charger is in your car. The C in HPWC stands for Connector.

Lonestar10_1999 | 13. oktober 2019

To reiterate, the author is targeting ICE drivers and using terms analogous to gas stations. Nothing wrong with that.

The message is universal; mass adoption of EV can’t happen until charging stations are ubiquitous and available.

billlake2000 | 13. oktober 2019

A fart is still a fart

in7 | 13. oktober 2019

We don't have any good terminology. Pump is a short easy word, and it sort of looks like a pump.

Some retail stores need to realize how much more customer traffic would be coming through their stores if they had available public chargers in their parking lots.

Patronus | 13. oktober 2019

I give her credit for a realistic description of the problem, backed up by real-world experience.

As for misuse of terms, many on this forum are guilty of the same, especially using "110V" and "220V" when referring to residential voltage in the USA. 110/220V was last used in the US in 1967. Today it is 120/240V.

I'd say cut her some slack.

RedPillSucks | 14. oktober 2019

@billlake2000
but will a fart by any other name smell as sweet?

(* ducks and runs out door to avoid flying tomatoes *)

billlake2000 | 15. oktober 2019

yes, we have no tomatoes

SalisburySam | 15. oktober 2019

But I do have a suspension bridge for sale.

Sparky | 15. oktober 2019

@billlake2000; and when a fart is not a fart, it's a disaster!

derotam | 15. oktober 2019

I don't know, I mean aren't we "pumping" electrons into the battery? Or is the battery "sucking" the electrons in...Yes, I agree using the word "pump" makes people think of mechanical pumping and gas pumps but I don't think it is therefore an inappropriate use of the word.

A gas "Station" is a facility that has a bunch of gas pumps.

If you have a location that has a bunch of "Charging Stations", what is the facility called? If you say "I am going to go to the charging station" what is that going to mean....you are going to a singular "station" or that you are going to a station of stations?

Philosophical debate..GO! haha

calvin940 | 15. oktober 2019

Pump:
"a mechanical device using suction or pressure to raise or move liquids, compress gases, or force air into inflatable objects such as tires."

So, no, not pumping electrons by definition of the word pump.

I agree that that is the listed definition of the word pump. So then what is the word responsible for the movement of electrons?

I mean it is accepted that the movement of electrons is referred to a "flow". The amount of "flow" is its "current". These of course are similar to water/river movements. Laughingly I could refer to the electrons as "pouring" into the car which of course gets it too close to gas again.. *sigh*.

I hate having to think about wording something for the general public rather then trying to elevate their education.

Enough people understand the concept of charging their phone. They certainly don't refer to that process as pumping, so we should draw those types of analogies since they are correct.

Haha, I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately the general public will continue to be misinformed about all kinds of things. But yes, education is the key.

bjrosen | 15. oktober 2019

There was no reason to use the term pump, the word charger is universally understood, everybody has a house full of them for their phones, vacuum cleaners, power tools. Car chargers look just like those other chargers, perform the same function as the other chargers, the only difference is that they are larger.

posinator | 15. oktober 2019

not to mention dc/dc charge pumps, and there's still no pumpable 'capacitance gel' as promised in demolition man?

billlake2000 | 15. oktober 2019

I just pumped my car up and it got 325 flumpkins.

@bjrosen, and yet "charger" is not correct either because technically the charger is in the car. The charger in the car is what regulates the flow and monitors the pack.

in7 | 15. oktober 2019

charge pushers
charge feeders
e-feeders
e-fuelers
electrifiers
zappers

in7 | 15. oktober 2019

EV-IVs

hmm Electricity Receptacles? (ERs)
---------------------------
re·cep·ta·cle
/rəˈseptək(ə)l/

noun
plural noun: receptacles

NORTH AMERICAN
An electrical outlet into which the plug of an electrical device may be inserted.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 15. oktober 2019

Words mean things and stuff.

Some 'journalists' aren't required to know anything about a subject they are assigned to write a 'hit piece' about. In fact, it is considered a minus to actually identify with, understand, or sympathize with the subject matter.

I do like the term 'GASP PEDAL' though. Almost as much as 'GO' pedal. The 'PLAY' and 'PAUSE' pedals in the Volkswagen ID.3 are cute.

"Facts have a known Liberal Bias." -- Stephen Colbert

rob | 16. oktober 2019

Pump doesn't bother me. English morphs with technology. These are real things.

Photon pump
electron pump
ion pump
light pump

hsadler | 16. oktober 2019

Convenience stores with 'chargers' are no longer convenience stores. (Until instant chargers become a reality)

Rutrow 3 | 17. oktober 2019

I've been "dialing" numbers on my push-button phone for about 50 years now. Everybody knows what I mean.

derotam | 17. oktober 2019

@Rutrow 3, how dare you and a lot of people continue to misuse the word dialing!

And people need to stop "writing" e-mails, and "running" to the store(when they don't actually RUN). :)

ReD eXiLe ms us | 17. oktober 2019

rob: Words mean things and stuff. Then, eventually, they mean other things with the passage of time and the adoption of new technology. Or changes in society, because things CHANGE.

I once had a Supervisor who had no idea there were two different ways to pronounce the word 'ATTRIBUTE' (one a verb, the other a noun) or that each pronunciation had a different meaning and purpose. That was unnerving. One Friend online routinely uses the word 'SELLS' interchangeably with the word 'SALES'. When corrected, he swears there is no difference, that either word may be used in a sentence, anytime, no matter the context.

Then there are people who use words in a regional fashion. Using the words like 'pop', 'soda', or 'soda pop' exclusively anytime they refer to carbonated soft drinks.

Ever notice how people from New York City literally refer to any other place in the world as 'OUT HERE' when they are there? Almost as if NYC is a walled city, correctional institution, or something. And some folks can't help announcing "I'M FROM PHILLY!", "I'M FROM BA'AHSTIN!", "I'M FROM BROOKLYN!", or "I'M FROM DA BRONX!" every 15-to-30 seconds. Dude, yeah. We know. You told us that, 15 seconds ago. And we'd have known by your accent alone even if you hadn't said so. Geez.

"'EY! DEY GOT NO SUBWAY OUT HERE!"

"'EY! DEY GOT NO DECENT PIZZA OUT HERE!"

Is it a hearing problem, the smog, or the snow? Something makes those people speak in ALL CAPS all the time. That said, it was interesting to learn that Californians tend to speak in hushed whispers all the time. As if they have something to hide, or someone might be listening in to their conversation. People there seemed to think I was yelling at them, with what I considered a normal conversational level of speech. Some were afraid of me, while others simply thought I was being 'rude'. They complained about my 'voice carrying'.

I did eventually realize this was a cultural difference due to growing up on a working farm, where my nearest neighbors lived 1/4 mile to 1/2 a mile away. If someone were working in a field, a greeting would be stated loud and clear to get their attention. No such issue in Los Angeles, so I toned it down.

Strange thing is...? Now people say I am 'soft spoken'. That makes me laugh. No, I'm not. Boisterous, raucous, loud...? No. But certainly not soft spoken. What people hear today is ME with the volume turned down way low. Oh, but the volume can be turned up... when necessary.

derotam: Good points. I gotta walk. That is, take my daily morning constitutional. ;-)

MAB1980 | 17. oktober 2019

”erotam | October 15, 2019
I agree that that is the listed definition of the word pump. So then what is the word responsible for the movement of electrons
Their actual flow is current. As mentioned above, that which is analogous to pressure in this discussion is called potential (typically expressed in volts).

ReD eXiLe ms us | 17. oktober 2019

MAB1980: Ooh! Oo-ooh! Ooh! I know, I know! It's...

TURBO!

Yeah! That's it! Just like on a circa 1986 AST Premium PC-AT clone! Or a Porsche Taycan! Right? ... Hello? ... Is this thing on? ... Anybody there? ... HeLLOOOooo?

steveishere | 17. oktober 2019

"pump" is a nice one-syllable word that probably gonna be stay for a while. I mean, we can call it "charging station", but that's 2 extra syllables for no real value...

derotam | 17. oktober 2019

@steveishare...you mean 3 extra syllables... :)