Forums

Range On Model 3 Reduced....

Range On Model 3 Reduced....

I know whenever someone mentions that their range has been reduced people will answer back with "don't use the miles but use percentage". However, with my LR RWD having NEVER received to updated range to 325 miles like some did months ago I was happy having what I purchased which is 310 miles of range on a full charge. I consistently had 279 miles of range every time I charged my car to 90% until the recent Version 10 update. Now, I am getting 268 miles of range. It is a REAL # based on what should be 310 miles at full charge. So my real full range charge is now 298 and not 310. I know I am not the only one who is experiencing this and some will try to pass it off as battery drain. I only have a little over 15K miles on my car having taken delivery of it new in August 2018. I wish more would chime in and see just how many Model 3 owners are having the same issue and if it's since the most recent update. I am currently on 2019.32.12.1. I am hoping a future update will resolve this and put my miles/charge back to where they belong. I purchased a long range with 310 and not one with 298.

rxlawdude | 17. oktober 2019

Did you charge to 100% and then run down to <10%?

Till you do that there's no way to render an opinion.

Joshan | 17. oktober 2019

That number fluctuates, if as you state it is showing battery degradation evidence, how could that number ever raise? Batteries do not gain capacity with age.

That said, our cars will lose battery capacity over time. People should noy be surprised and think it is going to last forever.

Passion2Fly | 17. oktober 2019

There is a little nuance here, you purchased a car with an estimated EPA range of 310 miles. If you drive conservatively, you will get even more than 310 miles... so, no worries!

FISHEV | 17. oktober 2019

If LR RWD and LR AWD have same 310 rating, there has to be some fudge in the battery rating. RWD should have gotten more, the 325 for RWD and 310 for AWD would seem about right.

Extrapolating out from 90% to what 100% might be is not reliable. Bjorn Nyland has a current video on his loss of range on his Model 3 and pretty much traces it back to the 2019.32 update.

He's explains in the video why the extrapolation doesn't work to determine 100% range rating so he's going to run his until it dies for actual range.

"Model 3 lost 6 % battery after software update."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOaDolXJXU

calvin940 | 17. oktober 2019

I have actually had an increase in my range from 493km/308 to 500km/312.5mi (currently happening ). I am getting 400km at 80% last 4 charges.

Thrillion | 17. oktober 2019

310 to 298 is <4% degradation well within reasonable spec.
I bet you could improve it though

jfaubl | 17. oktober 2019

I noticed that drop too. My thought was maybe that is the true degradation for everyone. Maybe they made the software guess more accurately.

jfaubl | 17. oktober 2019

12000 miles. I was at 304 miles and it dropped to 298 with the update.
I don't think this thread is about complaining about degradation or not understanding that it is happening or the OP lack of understanding that the rated range is just an estimate it is more about why the sudden change in version 10?
Because 100% at 15000 is going to be less than 100% when new.

M3phan | 17. oktober 2019

LR RWD June 2018 build
~310 then went to -322 at highest after the “bump” update, then settled back to a range between 308-317, then after a couple weeks on V10, consistently exactly 299 at 100%, checked twice.
Did the recalibration last week over 3 cycles of run below 10%-charge up to 100%. Battery at 100% went to 307.
So there is a drop I suppose, but I’m. It really hung up or worried about it. Just adding my numbers/similar experience here.

M3phan | 17. oktober 2019

Oh, I’m at 15K miles after 17 months

mrmagu | 24. oktober 2019

LR RWD, Nov 2018 delivery, 9k mi
I experienced almost the exact same thing. I did get the bump up to 325 mi back in March, then lost it all of a sudden in early June (so back to 310 mi). Then recently (post V10) that 310 mi is now down to 300 mi. My co-worker here who has a LR AWD experienced the same range "loss", also post V10. So yes I believe this is more systemic than just an isolated case. I submitted a question to Tesla, to which they advised to schedule a service appointment. I doubt that any resolution will come out of that, but I'll go through the motions anyway.
It's interesting that some folks can still "recalibrate" some of the miles back. Tried it back in July when the initial "loss" happened, didn't do anything for me back then. Stayed at 310 mi instead of 325.

mrmagu | 24. oktober 2019

LR RWD, Nov 2018 delivery, 9k mi
I experienced almost the exact same thing. I did get the bump up to 325 mi back in March, then lost it all of a sudden in early June (so back to 310 mi). Then recently (post V10) that 310 mi is now down to 300 mi. My co-worker here who has a LR AWD experienced the same range "loss", also post V10. So yes I believe this is more systemic than just an isolated case. I submitted a question to Tesla, to which they advised to schedule a service appointment. I doubt that any resolution will come out of that, but I'll go through the motions anyway.
It's interesting that some folks can still "recalibrate" some of the miles back. Tried it back in July when the initial "loss" happened, didn't do anything for me back then. Stayed at 310 mi (back then) instead of 325. So not sure that I should try it again for this new "loss".

jimglas | 24. oktober 2019

Mine dropped from 310 to 309, but is now back to 310
After 1 year of ownership, charged to 90% every night.

sroh | 24. oktober 2019

AWD non performance here. Took delivery in Sep 2018 and have 14K miles.

I've never got 310 miles of range. I started at like 305 and decreased down to about 300 in the first few months. Since then, it's slowly decreased to about 293-294. The first 6 months or so, I was concerned about this. I did the 10% to 100% rebalancing several times, and that would temporarily pop range back up to 300+. But it quickly reverts back. I just don't worry about it anymore. It has no real-life impact to me. I now display % rather than miles and just enjoy the ride.

ADinM3 | 24. oktober 2019

@OP, obviously keep an eye on it but I think you are fine. I also never saw a bump above 310 either. In March I was showing about 304-306 miles at 18k miles and was mildly concerned when I didn't see the bump to 325. Seven months later I am still showing 303-306 at almost 27k miles.

I think the BM algorithms are certainly a bit quirky, mainly because we are in the dark on details, but I don't believe most the variations are related to battery degradation.

TeslaJimmy | 26. oktober 2019

SR+delivered 17 Jun 2019 11,500 miles

My M3 has been charging to 225 miles consistently since receiving V10 update. I have never received a full 240 mile range charge since owning the car. Best I got was 236 when charging to 100%. My car is charged every day to 75% and only charged to 100 about 4 times since taking delivery. I’m associating the drop in range to the most recent software update, but having the same range as a SR is not appealing to me. Hopefully get the range back in the next update

tdwin2000 | 26. oktober 2019

M3Phan I agree with you. I am not experiencing battery degradation to 298. This is clearly something to do with the latest update to V10 as there are people stating the same range that have under 5K miles on their cars. My though is that with the latest announcement of higher range to come soon with update they will put everyone back to the 310 at 100% so 80% and 90% would follow and be where they used to charge for all of us. Not a huge deal but even when they upgraded some LR RWD to 325 I never saw it on my car. Did kind of feel a slight difference when they bumped power up by 5% though. They say that is going to happen again. Maybe that was since taken away and they are giving it back again too.

noleaf4me | 26. oktober 2019

No issues with the range on mine since V10

llim3306 | 26. oktober 2019

@ TeslaJimmy +1. Identical information. I too took delivery of my SR+ on June 10 and now at 11,800. I have never received 240 miles since day 1. I have 100% charged four times and the most I got was 223 miles. SOC about 3x weekly to about 75% but mostly charging at home from 240V (TOU charge from 5 to 6:30 AM) for daily driving. I am so hopeful to get 5% performance increase (range) as promise by Elon a couple of days ago. I d be happy with 240 range.

walnotr | 26. oktober 2019

I have never charged to 100% with 28K miles. I bought the car with a rated 310 range and, although I did see a slight bump after the “increase”, it did not last long. I just charged to 90% and it shows 278. Close enough. My charging regimen has been weeks of level 1 charging followed by thousands of miles supercharging exclusively, then weeks of level 2 charging then back to supercharging. I have not noticed any drop since installing V10.

LR RWD 07/18 build 18” Aeros 2019.32.12.2 58f3b76

I can’t explain why this is an issue others, but it is but my experience.

EAPme | 27. oktober 2019

LR RWD 9/18 build w/ 8k miles (12.2)
charging to 80%= 256 miles which equates to ~320 miles @100%

SR Plus 3/19 build w/5k miles (12.2)
charging to 90% = 207 miles which equates to ~230 miles @100%

We love them both and launch when we can.

To contrast/compare.. The wife and I drove Gen1/2 Volts, Spark EV, and Bolt. We are accustomed to range calculations fluctuating even with the relative absence of software updates from GM. GM's range GoM (guess-o-meter) seems less sophisticated than Tesla's range calculations which might account for the variability between M3 owners. OTA updates add a wrinkle too.

kaffine | 27. oktober 2019

I've just had a slow drop to 268 at 90%. Never did see a bump when they increased rated range to 325.

40k miles and about 18 months. Don't see an issue I never got the rated range anyways as I don't drive conservatively. I do prefer the readout to be in miles since it gives me a better idea on how far I can expect to go before running out of charge.

bjrosen | 27. oktober 2019

Try charging to 95%. I was showing 274 miles rather than 279 at 90% charge. I charged it once to 95% and it showed 294 miles of range, the expected number. On the next charge I set it back to 90% and it now shows 280 miles of range.

mrtoyman | 27. oktober 2019

I just did a 100% charged to our LR RWD delivered April 30, 2018 and I got 303 miles.

frankye2000 | 28. oktober 2019

I also observed that my 2018 July made RWD M3 f100% charged range reduced from 325 miles in May to 315 miles now with recent software installation (mostly V10 but could be earlier updates). Only 5K miles. Is this a wide phenomenon or just with a few people. Will wait for the new 5% power increase and see what will happen.

rrengarajan | 04. november 2019

Noticed something similar. Estimated full charge topped off at 312 where as a month ago it was 325 (~250 at 80% instead of 260). Odometer is around 9500 miles. It dropped by about 6 miles after the next charge on V10 and then gradually reduced to around 310 over the next 500 miles. Mine also seemed to correlate to the software update. I suspect the battery itself is fine but it's how Telsa is managing the range to full charge in the software has likely changed. What's not clear yet to me is whether this is an actual range reduction or just a software recalibration. What's a little annoying is the Tesla response that this is 'normal' range degradation. I don't see how normal range degradation would be 8% over 500 miles.

WhiteWi | 04. november 2019

Nice math

mlehner616 | 07. november 2019

I can confirm something changed, I have M3 LR AWD. It has <6k miles and is only about 8 months old. Pre-v10 I was getting a reliable full 309-310 at 100%. After v10, I'm getting 298-304. From the mileage, it might not sound like much but this is a 4% drop essentially over night. This is a significant loss and is much greater drain than should be happening at this point for this car. I also noticed regenerative braking is limited at a much lower charge. I'm not exactly sure what charge level it would kick in prior to v10 but I'm finding regen is limited all the way down into the 70% range. I normally charge to 80% and prior to v10, I've never had regen be limited at 80% charge.

FISHEV | 07. november 2019

"After v10, I'm getting 298-304. From the mileage, it might not sound like much but this is a 4% drop essentially over night. "@miehner616

About what Bjorn Nyland got in his tests after the update.

derotam | 07. november 2019

And mine is still at 323 for 100%, same as it has been since the previous bump.

wamar19 | 07. november 2019

I have a one month sr+ and tried to charge to full range for the first time this week and only got 365 km instead of the expected 400 km. I sent a query to Tesla support and received a response that the true range is still 400 km, but that the reduced estimate is a software issue and that they are working on an update

kinupeiphone | 07. november 2019

@derotam
What is your wh/mi?

cownan | 08. november 2019

Same here, LR RWD 6/18 delivery with 14k miles.
Range at 100% went from 310 to 325 to 305
Corresponding 90% is down to 271/273 now. Also I am noticing a higher rate of discharge with no real difference in driving other than 20deg temp drop.

FISHEV | 08. november 2019

"Also I am noticing a higher rate of discharge with no real difference in driving other than 20deg temp drop."@cownan

Depending on how much, that could be a pretty significant temp drop. What was the lowest temp?

On StatsApo for Tesla, they have a Daily Average Efficiency Across Users graph and it shows it taking a steep dive around Sept. 1st.

farihachaudhry | 08. november 2019

New M3 owner here, LR AWD, supposedly with 310 miles of range (in reading through posts here, I’m surprised range was longer on previous M3s from last year). This week however, I have noticed a rather discouraging amount of battery discharge. Yesterday for instance, my battery range dropped 50 miles, when I had actually only traveled 12 miles. Temps this week have been 30s- 40s during the day, 20s-30s at night, and colder since yesterday. Had some light snow yesterday and today. Any feedback would be appreciated. Is this normal/expected? Thanks.

chris | 08. november 2019

My previous electric vehicles have all lost substantial energy with temperature drops. Some as much as 50% between 90 degrees outside and 10 degrees. I would expect the same with the Model3, I believe its just a function of how these batteries work.......

Techy James | 08. november 2019

I recently setup TeslaFi, and while I am new to the service I do like one thing about it. It looks at Temps at your home address and gives you the Rated Range, but it also gives a very important Estimated range that is reduced to match your Wh/mile and outdoor temperatures. With our recent cold snap I am seeing an average of 30% lower rate.

Techy James | 08. november 2019

@farihachaudhry The only models of the M3 that got the longer range was the LR RWD which isn't made any more. They got about a 5% bump to 325 Miles of range but V10 took the bump away for M3 LR RWD variation. Or at least in my case.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 08. november 2019

Paraphrasing Sam Kinison, "LIVE WHERE THE SUN SHINES!!!"

farihachaudhry | 09. november 2019

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Being a new customer, I am suffering from a significant case of range anxiety. It's unnerving to watch the battery deplete, just like the iphone!

I have created a TeslaFi account and will have more data now. For the longterm, moving to a sunnier place wouldn't be a bad idea at all!!