Forums

SR Plus - should I buy?

SR Plus - should I buy?

All,

I’m super excited about my SR+ and I’m picking up the vehicle on 10/23 if everything goes well with shipping. I have already ordered bunch of must have accessories. Tesla wall connector is getting installed soon.

My biggest concern is the range increase that Tesla announced. I’m going crazy thinking about canceling the order to get more info. Does any one know if there are any other changes other than 10 mile increase?

I didn’t want to spend 9k over SR+ because I couldn’t justify the cost! But all the videos and articles I read claim that SR+ delivers only 170 real world range. Is this true? I travel for work and I drive 500 miles one way. Of course this is not a daily commute. I do this only once a month, sometimes twice.

stebo1 | 19. oktober 2019

Where do you live? I have found range anxiety to be a lot like people with anxiety of public transport. It’s something new and therefore we don’t feel confident about it. If you have superchargers in your area, you will never have range anxiety. Caveat might be California where there is sometimes a wait to use those chargers and that would be a real pain in the butt. I have the SR+ and can confirm that with the AC blasting, 4 people and luggage in the car, driving at Highway speeds of 75-80, you will easily drop from 240 to 170-180. But it is just a number in your head. Stopping to supercharge is so easy, takes 10 mins, and after 2+ hours in the car you should be stopping to take a bathroom break.

As far as Tesla’s new claim, I seriously doubt they put a larger battery in. They are likely using the EPA numbers that are always favorable to the car. EPA tests are done inside, no AC on, no passengers, no drag from the wind because the car is running on rollers, car doesn’t go above 55mph, etc. Those are the same tests that put the mpg claims on ICE cars and are never accurate. If you want to cancel and reorder, do it - but not for 10 miles that you will never see. Eventually your mindset will change and you will treat your car like your phone. All day use, plug in at night, don’t worry about it. In extreme circumstances (road trips) you have the Tesla superchargers to take care of things!

kevin_rf | 19. oktober 2019

Your assuming that extra 10 miles is from actual changes to the battery. It is more likely a Tesla number game with the same battery to counter the Bolts new range. You would be waiting for the same car.

That said, I am super happy with the LR AWD. Realistically, you are looking at maybe an extra super charger stop each 500 mile trip with the SR+. My longest trip so far is 1900 miles, the charging part is a non issue, even with the SR+. Finding a bush or shubbery is a bigger issue. The SR+ will be a great car.

fearghus1 | 19. oktober 2019

Thank you @stebo1
I live in Indianapolis. Your explanation is very reasonable. I also called Tesla to check about moving from SR+ to LR AWD. They mentioned that it is possible and they can do that. I don’t want to go through the hassle of return and rebooking.

Just the uncertainty weighs in a lot! If Tesla would have announced the range increase next week once I picked my car, I would have cared less.

Thank you @Kevin_rf, if Tesla is playing numbers game, I would care less.. that is what I’m expecting to hear from their reps!

skymaster | 19. oktober 2019

If you drive 1,000 miles two times a month, I personally would only recommend a Long Range Tesla. This is for countless reasons.

@skymaster, That is why I posted here. My loan is funded. My bank is ready to pull the money back and Tesla is also willing to make sure I’m happy. If one of them would have said no, I would have lived with my decision. Customer service these days are so good!

I’m still on a holding pattern.. will wait for more inputs.. mostly will stick with SR+. Worst comes worst, I will sell this and buy a LR AWD!

rehutton777 | 19. oktober 2019

Fearghus1: I also have the SR+ and initially had range anxiety, which I have come to realize was greatly overblown. Looks like there are quite a few SC's in the Indianapolis area - - you shouldn't have a problem. If you want to spend the extra money for the LR, go ahead. But I think you will find the the SR+ has plenty of range given all the SC's in your area. Like Stebo said, supercharging takes max of 20 minutes to get you to 80%, and you need to stop periodically anyway. I love my SR+, and I'm sure you would love yours too.

bjrosen | 19. oktober 2019

You live in snow country, that's reason enough to get the AWD vs RWD, RWD is for CA. The AWD gets you 310, really it's 278 because you should only charge to 90%, it gets you all of the premium features except FSD which would be an additional $6K or $7K after Nov 1. I live in MA, I got the AWD I didn't even consider a RWD.

rehutton777 | 19. oktober 2019

bjrosen: I think you meant SR+ vs. LR rather than AWD vs. RWD.

stebo1 | 19. oktober 2019

@ bjrosen - I am not sure that I agree with that. I have several people that I know that live in places that get snow and have zero issues with a Model 3 RWD due to the weight of the car. Yes, it is probably better - but is it $9K better? That’s up to the owner and their use; just like range. Personally I struggled getting over the range anxiety because of these forum. Since getting my Model 3 SR+, not once have I found myself in trouble due to battery. I live in an area that has plenty of superchargers and have a garage with a level 2 charger on the wall, I don’t need more just for the sake of having more.

Perfection is the enemy of greatness!

calvin940 | 19. oktober 2019

I live in Snow Country as well and have been buying AWD for years. Wasn't going to change that starting now and after the first winter with it, totally validated my purchase.

gballant4570 | 19. oktober 2019

Depends on your charging setup as well - mostly during the winter months. In MD last winter (fairly mild) I was averaging wh/m in the 280 range instead of the 230's, which subtracts from the EPA basis estimate based on SOC. I charge in my barn out of the wind and weather, and use a re-warming charge just before driving in cold weather. If you're leaving the car in the cold either at home or at an away from home destination, and then get into the cold soaked car and drive it, your battery capacity will decrease more than you might have expected, and regen will be decreased until the battery warms up

raqball | 19. oktober 2019

skymaster | October 19, 2019
If you drive 1,000 miles two times a month, I personally would only recommend a Long Range Tesla. This is for countless reasons.
-----------------------------------------
And what exactly are those countless reasons?

$10K for an extra 60 miles of range? If someone needs AWD then I agree get the dual motor LR but if someone does not need AWD then spending $10K for an extra 60 miles of range is an odd choice in my opinion...

To each their own I suppose..

bjrosen | 19. oktober 2019

@stebo1 Does the SR+ have all of the premium features such as streaming and traffic on navigation? I ask because I see people on this forum requesting that Tesla offer the software controlled premium features as either an upgrade price or as a subscription, I'm assuming that it's the SR+ that lacks them as there are probably very few SRs out there. There is also a premium sound system in the AWD, is that available in the SR+? The AWD gets you the longer range, better handling in snow, premium everything and of course quicker acceleration although the later is hardly necessary because the RWD is no slouch.

sheldon.mike1010 | 19. oktober 2019

Honestly, I think you will so pleased with the SR+ that range worries will disappear. Having fast home charging was the decision that made the SR+ practical.

tung1900 | 19. oktober 2019

Go LR if u can, benefit outright to SR. Yes
U have to pay more, but the resale value outweighs it.

Fuzzball | 19. oktober 2019

Many factors to consider. Question is whether you are just being prudent or is there a real affordability issue? If affordability is an issue, you dont need to ask. Go with SR+.
If you are prudent and want to simply weight whether the extra 9K is worth it, there can be a few ways to think about it. Not exhaustive, but some thoughts:
1. AWD vs RWD
2. Dual motors, better driving capabilities, potentially more even wear on tires and in long runs, may save a few pairs of changes. Better for snow on the days that matter - I have RWD in NYC and have dealt with some snow. Generally OK so long as you maintain tires. Also mind you, RWD does burn tires fast on a tesla because of the instant torque
3. your actual daily charging is likely at 90pct which is where you should compare
4. Every EV is expected to lose some battery health over time - how much are you willing to accept before your range dynamics change?
5. Longer term, there is also an expected number of charge cycles ( i think somewhere around 1500). Using some rough calcs, that means the LR battery is expected to last you about 100K miles more over the 1500 cycles
6. FASTER charge speeds. SR+ is relatively limited. V3 is around the corner...

There are probably a lot more, but depending on your time horizon and needs, the extra 9K can be worth the optionality...

rxlawdude | 19. oktober 2019

Last New Year's Eve, "snowmogeddon" hit Sedona, AZ. Our B&B was at the top of a steep driveway. Our LR, RWD M3 did not do well trying to get up that hill. In fact, it did very poorly.

But in fairness, the tires (MXM4s) had 30K miles on them and were at 4/32" at the time. We'll hope for snow this New Year's, as we have fresher Pilot Sport A/S 3+ with more rubber on them.

All in all, I Jones for the AWD M3, but not enough to trade in ours for a financial bath (43K miles).

All, I want to thank the entire community for sharing your experiences!

I have driven FWD/RWD cars in blizzards and snow storms. I lived in buffalo for 3 years and commuted 1000s of miles in snow. I have no issues with RWD. I’m planning to put snow tires and that is more than enough.

All I have is range anxiety! I think I’m getting better as I read many posts from so many SR+ owners.

2015P90DI | 19. oktober 2019

Range, range, range! Just like Location, location, location. Just as valuable when applied to an EV. It's not that you always need it, but it's that one time that you do that makes it worth it. I bought the LR RWD because it had the most range and was actually cheaper. I just upgraded to the Model S. Wanted the Performance, but chose the long range version for the extra 35 miles in range, again at a lower cost. It's not that I need the range on a daily basis in the slightest. But, it does save significantly on charging time. It absolutely allows me to skip supercharger stops. For me, time is extremely valuable. I don't mind one stop trips. But stopping to charge for 30-40 minutes twice starts to add up. With the M3 LR and now the MS LR, many trips that required two stops in my prior Model S cars now can be done in just one stop. I LOVE IT. 40 minutes each way, nearly an hour and a half when you consider round trip. I can do a lot with that time.

Yes, the LR is more money than the SR+, but the resale value will be higher too.

Can also consider an inventory car. Tesla also has several "pre-owned" cars that were likely purchases returned in 7 days with just a few hundred miles on them and are offered at discounted prices.

In my daily use of the car, I charge the car once a week, which is nice. With the old car, had to plug in almost daily to be safe.

Back to the original point, it's that one time where you need it that makes it worth having. One day where the weather is 30 degrees colder and your range gets cut in half. Or one day that you're in a rush and need to go faster, reducing your range. Range anxiety, even once, is not a fun experience. I don't want to be compromised in driving an EV vs an ICE car. With 325 (M3) or 370 (MS) in range, I'm not. Real world, those figures are about 100 miles+ less. I easily go 200 miles without stopping. Unless you choose to drive slow, taking even MORE time, you're unlikely to get 200 miles in real world highway use with the SR+. Easy to do with the LR versions.

Just my 2 cents. You only live once.

2015P90DI | 19. oktober 2019

If you live in a snowy environment, you can be assured that your rated range will be cut nearly in half. If you don't mind sacrificing time to go slow and charge longer and the extra money for the LR version has more value than giving up that extra time, then the SR+ can work. If you regularly road trip with the car, I wouldn't consider anything other than the LR. For those road tripping only once a year, then save the money as you don't need it for daily driving. Once a month, the longer charging times and slower driving can start to wear on you. I did for me. I upgraded primarily for that reason.

vmulla | 19. oktober 2019

I tried replying to this thread 2 times already, maybe a 3rd time is a charm.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Our first Tesla is a S60 with a total of 210 miles of range. We drove all around the country in that car in all sorts of weather, and that was 4 years ago when there weren't as many Superchargers. So I don't think range on the SR is a concern at all.

I think you will be fine if you have enough range to make your daily commute X 2 in summer months, Tesla's Supercharger network can support their lowest range cars when you're on a road trip. SR has a decent bit of range compared to S60.

I'm frugal in my spending, and a little bit of planning and charging discipline can help save thousands of dollars. And if ever there's a bit of inconvenience because of lower range, oh well, that's the price to pay for saving money upfront - it's not like we're taking about range so low that we're at a risk of getting stranded.

About resale value. I'd save now rather than worry about resale value some time in the future.

For the argument that SR range isn't enough and might get you stranded - well, when you take that argument no amount of range is enough.

Good luck.

bheck11 | 19. oktober 2019

Fearghus1, you are the one who has to live with the decision. So please don't let any of us tell you that you "must" go in one direction or the other!

Here's an idea: if drives are mostly on the same route (or just a few routes), you can use abetterrouteplanner.com (or similar) to map out the most common routes. That will give you a pretty good idea of how often/where you would need to charge. Note that you can change the settings to "simulate" different models (SR+ vs LR) and even weather conditions. And the software knows where all the superchargers are.

For what it's worth, here are some thoughts based on our experience with a one year old mid-range (260 miles range, no longer available). We're in the Columbus area, so similar weather and road conditions to you.

1. People who talk about driving 75 - 80 may not live in our part of the midwest. Yeah, there are speeders here, but most people are going upper 60s - low 70s. (And if you are on I-70, your speed is limited by trucks. You know what I mean....) At 65, we were getting very close to the full 260 mile range, and even going a little over 70 we didn't lose much. So far as we could tell, it's only when you head past 75 toward 80 that the range really starts to drop.

2. Yes, snow (even rain) and low temperatures will decrease your range. So will keeping the heat really high; in the winter we generally set it in the 65 - 68 range, and the effect is not that large.

3. Do you have flexibility on when you make your long drives? We had no issues driving in snow in Ohio, but if you absolutely have to drive through blizzards, AWD probably would be helpful. If you can adjust your winter trip schedule to drive on clear days, AWD seems less of an issue.

4. Do you need to take those trips to the hilly parts of the state? For example, the Indy to Columbus run on I-70 has a few gentle grades, but the worst of them barely qualifies as a hill. Again, if you need to drive through steep terrain in bad weather, AWD might help. On the flats, not so much of an issue.

5. When you do your long drives, are you fairly laid back or are you really, really impatient to get where you are going NOW! The LR may allow one fewer charging stops per trip and also can take advantage of slightly higher supercharger power to charge faster. (My understanding is that the SR+ is limited to 120 kw, while the LR can use 150). On long trips, we've found that even the slower rate still takes only 15 - 20 minutes or so, which for us is about the right time to find the restroom, stretch our legs, and maybe get some coffee. If you will be sitting in the car for 15 minutes grumbling about the delay, the LR might be worth it for your mental health....

6. How much "buffer" do you need? In your gas car, if you typically start looking for a gas station only when the low fuel light comes on, you may be happy running your Tesla down to 20 miles of range left. On the other had, if you start hunting for the gas station when the fuel gauge hits half full, you may start getting nervous when your Tesla range is down to "only " 80 miles. Obviously the LR gives you more range for the same number of charging stops, so less range anxiety -- if you are the kind of person who might be anxious. (For the record, we're somewhere in the middle, but after several long trips, we're more laid back than we used to be!)

Good luck! You'll enjoy whatever you get....

adoh2010 | 19. oktober 2019

The SR+ practically delivers 100 miles of highway range and 200-300 city range. I say 100 because you don't wanna supercharge from 0-100% every stop because it's slower and worse for the battery than using the lower 50% of the battery whenever supercharger availability on your route allows. Once yo do that you'll stop caring about your highway driving speed because even at 100kW "compared to up to 250kW on more expensive Teslas" the time saved by speeding will be more than the extra time spent at the supercharger but you'll be stopping a lot, every 90 to 150 miles in the U.S. from experience.

So keep in mind that every EV's range is cut in half if you want to reduce charging time, less than half when you combine it with speeding. The route planner usually does a great job at picking the least time-consuming manner, sometimes it will have you skip a supercharger and drive slow because it ain't worth the time getting to an extra supercharger for the minutes saved speeding and sometimes it will have a stop ever 90 miles when the supercharger exist.

City range will only get under 200 in severe cold, with no heat usage and a high elevation city you're looking at 300+ miles of range.

RayNLA | 19. oktober 2019

My rule of thumb is to buy the most range you can afford. If more range isn’t in your budget, thats ok...you will still be fine.

rsingh05 | 19. oktober 2019

SR+: in the real world, you’ll get about your 2 hours of highway driving (~150 miles) if you have heat on and are driving at 75mph, and charging up to 90%.

LR AWD: you will get 2.5 hours of driving before you stop to supercharge.

These numbers will look better in warm weather. SR+ will be 2.5 hours between supercharges, LR will be 3 hours.

Depending on your route, it could mean one extra supercharging stop. Is the time saving worth $8K for you? Only you can decide.

Another benefit of the LR is faster supercharging rates with V3 if that matters to you.

Thank you again everyone!

Im going to stick with SR+ based on what I have heard so far. I usually don’t drive more than 150 miles at a stretch. Sometimes I do, but not every trip. Once I drove 350 miles in one stretch, stopped for refill and drove another 200 miles to get there on time! I used to drive ICE car between Indy to buffalo and I put over 25K miles in one year. I started flying to buffalo the following year. If the SR+ is so bad that I can’t live with, I will choose to fly.

I’m starting with M3 to experience the supercharge and electric world! If I end up enjoying this, I see myself buying a MS LR in few years. I don’t want to shell out too much now..(don’t feel like doing it even though I know M3 AWD has so many pros).

All this started with Tesla announcing the 10 miles increase. That made me think too much about what else is going to change in the car M3 std+ and should I buy LR since there are no changes made to it.

FISHEV | 19. oktober 2019

“If you drive 1,000 miles two times a month, I personally would only recommend a Long Range Tesla. This is for countless reasons.”sky pilot

+1,000 on that, get max range which is 310 on the Model 3. For good battery health you try to live between 20% and 80% so your “working” range becomes 186 miles. Add in the inevitable degradation (30% over eight years is what Tesla calls acceptable) so your working range is not the full EPA rated range.

I drive 24,000 a year commuting and I have SC’s along my travel routes and I end up charging a lot even with the 310 range. I also end up missing a charge now and then, stuff happens, and running into orange and red warnings on the range indicator. Always thankful for those extra few miles.

vmulla | 19. oktober 2019

^ that is just BS

rsingh05 | 19. oktober 2019

@fearghus1 - another thought for you - ask the nearest store if they have any LR RWD they can locate. Will cost less than LR AWD and give you 325 miles range. May be the best of both worlds for you.

@rsingh05, thank you. I tried that and my advisor found only 1 LR RWD, it is white interior (big no.. kids..) and has 1200 miles on them. I badly wanted an LR without breaking the bank.

Tuning In | 19. oktober 2019

20-90% is the working range. Though I do agree with that less than 200 miles is the working miles you’d end up using. Unless you drive like the EPA thinks that you should and you are committed to crappy 18” aero wheels on those crappy stock tires.

2015P90DI | 20. oktober 2019
Maxxer | 20. oktober 2019

I have SR and didn’t go through winter yet

But I’m already 100% convinced to buy a LR Model Y for ski trips

2015P90DI | 20. oktober 2019

Long Range CPO Options from Tesla....

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJ3E1EA3JF011745?region=CA&redirect=no

-/ USED CAR with 21,000 miles for $40,500.

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJ3E1EA0KF324348?region=CA&redirect=no /

(Basically new with only 51 miles). Likely a customer return on the 7 day return policy. Or a buyer who didn't quality for financing Priced at. $45,500. SR+ equally equipped would be $42,000 for equally equipped SR+ new from Tesla
A. LR / AWD would be $50,500. So, only $3,500 more for the long rang version and cheaper than if you could order a LR RWD version.

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJ3E1EA9KF331850?region=CA&redirect=no -

Near new with only 828 miles. Also a likely 7 day return policy. $46,500 (41,500 Equally equipped SR+ from Tesla / LR AWD would be $50,000

SalisburySam | 22. oktober 2019

Some other thoughts I didn’t see mentioned (or more likely I missed them):

1- If your trips are few and far between, consider renting a Turo or other car rental site for just the trip. Can be many trip rentals for $9K.
2- In considering spending the $9K for a LR, do you have another use for that $9K...one that you will actually do if you get the SR? There are always ways to spend $9K but this is a question, to me, of opportunity cost. Just because there ARE better uses doesn’t mean you’d actually spend it that way. Maybe the LR is the best use?
3- range isn’t the only difference between the SR and LR. Weight is another (handling?, tire wear?). So is top speed (140mph vs. 145mph), 0-60 speeds (5.3s vs. 4.4s), and a number of feature differences between premium and partial premium interiors.

Whether any of these matters to you is your call of course, just be aware there are these additional differences.

kevin_rf | 22. oktober 2019

You forgot, it also comes with that fancy Dual Motor badge.

That badge alone is worth at least $9k

Pg3ibew | 22. oktober 2019

My personal experience. Being a brand new owner of a SR+. I do not drive far enough on a daily basis that I could justify the added expense of the extra miles.

Magic 8 Ball | 22. oktober 2019

@kevin I have an extra fancy Dual Motor, with red stripe underneath, new on the card (never applied to car) badge I will let you have for 10K.

jimglas | 22. oktober 2019

I will buy it for $10 M8B

kevin_rf | 22. oktober 2019

I'm saving my $9k for a "Dual Hamster Wheels" badge with a green underline!

rxlawdude | 22. oktober 2019

I'm rather surprised that the M3 inventory today (for SoCal) are almost all USED.

$500-$1000 discount from new price for a USED (rejected car) one? Absurd.

jimglas | 22. oktober 2019

Probably minimal use and somebody who returned within the 1 week period.
You can just order new

devon | 22. oktober 2019

Don't ignore the advantages of the Premium Interior package. As SalisburySam points out above, you're not just getting the extra range.

I have never heard of anyone regretting getting the most range they can afford.

rxlawdude | 22. oktober 2019

@jim, exactly. But why Tesla tries to sell these used ones for essentially new price is the question.

I'd expect a minimum of $3,000 off new before I'd even think about buying a rejected used one.

CST | 22. oktober 2019

I noticed driving up i-5 in Oregon that I was ending up with about 15% had a lot of the superchargers. I'm not sure if I could have made an extra stop sometimes, but they seem to be spread out quite a bit so with a short-range vehicle, it may have been more of a challenge that I wouldn't of wanted to deal with.

vmulla | 22. oktober 2019

“ I'd expect a minimum of $3,000 off new before I'd even think about buying a rejected used one.” @rxlawdude

Are there other perks offered on these vehicles? FSD/EAP perhaps? Longer warranty? Subscription services? Supercharger miles?

gballant4570 | 22. oktober 2019

Wow, if a dual performance badge brings $10k, what can I get for just a dual motor badge? I might have go insist on getting mine if the $$ are big enough.....