Forums

Should use SD card Endurance for TeslaCam

Should use SD card Endurance for TeslaCam

I've just finished a couple weeks of testing and am very pleased. I've tried a couple of USB thumb drives and I've watched videos about SSD drives, but an SD Endurance card is the best. It was designed for the type of recording we do with TeslaCam.

Credit to "Because Tesla" YouTube: https://youtu.be/uc-OabDj3-E
-- warning the video is a little long, but...

Hope this works https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amk6g4jxAnL9gatkbrRt18c3dsihig?e=0qxVdk
-- this was what he recommends and what I'm being using for a couple of weeks.

SD Endurance - Endurance is the critical piece.

I'll really like the SD adapter with USB-A, USB-C, and lightning. I pop it into my phone for a quick look in the car; then pop it into my Desktop. Thanks for the TeslaCam app [by Snailboat Apps] on my Samsung and the web app for my Desktop or Surface Pro 7, which does both USB-A or USB-C.

T L | 11. november 2019

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm on my third attempt at getting TeslaCam to work since the latest update gave me the message about writing speeds not being fast enough.

I purchased the following:
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SDXC Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 (MB-MJ128GA/AM) - $35
Difini Micro SD Card Reader, TF Memory Card Camera Reader Adapter Lightning Connector, External Storage Memory Expansion Compatible iPhone/iPad/Android Phones/Mac/PC, 3 in 1 (Black) - $17

I made the TeslaCam root folder but can not get a consistent dashcam symbol on the status bar. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

EVRider | 11. november 2019

See this article by TeslaTap: https://cammem.com

jebinc | 11. november 2019

I would say no need for the expensive Endurance card. Why? The cost difference would allow you to buy several regular SD cards, in case one fails. If you buy a larger capacity SD card, say 128 or 256, the rewrite frequency will be really low. I have a 256 SD, installed in June, and it has yet to "fill up". Now, a 16 or 32 SD card could fail in a year or two, due to excessive rewrites.

Passion2Fly | 11. november 2019

I do agree with OP. I’ve tried a whole bunch of thumb drives and the all failed within three months of use... I’ve decided to go the more expensive route of SD Card + Adapter. So far so good! 6+ months... I picked a SanDisk 128GB Extreme and it’s been great so far...

SnowZA | 11. november 2019

@tlukas Are you plugging the drive in directly to USB, or using a hub/splitter? I had that sort of problem when I tried to use a USB3 hub with mine. Without the hub, it works great. With the hub, it works sometimes.

jebinc | 11. november 2019

Correction: Mine is a 128 SD drive from Samsung. Zero problems with this one and I have it in a hub.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin...

T L | 11. november 2019

@SnowZA
Plugged directly into the USB. I'm going to assume my issue my issue is with formatting. Maybe the card is not in FAT32?

ronjolley | 11. november 2019

FAT32 is a common issue. I'm a retired 40+ year IT guy and I ended up downloading something to get the FAT32 with Windows 10. Plus the case sensitive TeslaCam folder.

I've plugged direct into USB-A, but I prefer to keep use the Adapter. I can go quickly from car to my phone, in the car, without looking for an adapter. It's already there. So I go from USB-A to USB-C with a 90 degree rotation.

JohnField | 11. november 2019

I purchased a 1Tb SSD and formatted the whole thing with Fat32 and plugged it in. It seemed to work fine. Until I saw an accident in front of me. Stopped and offered the police that arrived the file from the SSD. ( I didn’t save the event) when I got home and pulled the SSD TeslaCam had used only part the full drive and had overwritten the accident.

TeslaTap.com | 11. november 2019

@tlukas1 - FAT32 is required, and many drives > 32 GB come preformatted with eFAT, which will not work. Here are step-by-step instructions for both Windows and Mac: https://cammem.com/tesla/preparing-your-drive/

@JohnField - Yep, it only saves one hour of the video unless you manually save it (with a tap to the icon) to save the last 10 minutes. You may be able to recover video, as it doesn't actually overwrite the same area, but uses more of the drive. Details here in "9" near the end: https://cammem.com/tesla/troubleshooting/

blackz06vette | 11. november 2019

I am in the SSD camp. Picked up a 'hardened' external drive off newegg (rubber edges, integrated cable) for $79 with taxes and shipping. I have only pulled it once so far to check the video, so can't speak for the longevity of the thing.

Also had to use a 3rd party app to format as fat32.

Whatever solution you use, should probably check it every month or so. It would be unfortunate to need the video a year later and find the drive hasn't worked in months.

Just curious - how do you do a quick view of the videos in the car on your phone with a SSD? Example - to show the officers.

Do you have a wifi option - some thumb drives do.

The flash with adapter is quick and simple.

nnguyen72 | 11. november 2019

I'm currently using a Samsung SSD drive too. Seems to be working fine, videos are clear besides the occasional "green screen" showing up. I think I may make the switch to the Endurance SD card and see if it performs any better. Especially since the Endurance card is specifically made to record and re-record videos over and over as opposed to a SSD drive. These memory cards and drives are so cheap now that it makes it easier to swap out options to see which one works the best.

jrweiss98020 | 11. november 2019

FWIW, the Samsung 860EVO 1TB SSD has a 600TBW (TeraByte Written) warranty, which would be 600 full write-erase cycles. The 500GB version has a 300TBW warranty, so the wear is linear. The 860PRO 1TB has a 1200TBW warranty, or twice the EVO.

If someone has the numbers on how much the combination of DashCam and Sentry mode writes in a day, you can get a good idea of expected SSD life.

FWIW, I suspect any SD card will have a MUCH lower expected life. OTOH, the SanDisk Extreme Pro MicroSDs have a lifetime warranty. Buy 2, and use the spare when you send in the first for replacement...

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s is $34.99 at Amazon

bradbomb | 11. november 2019

Count me in two camps actually:

1. Since the introduction of the DashCam and subsequently Sentry features, I was using a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive (128gb). Never had any issues with it and I think I started using it with the introduction of the feature until last weekend.
2. Last weekend I finally setup a Raspberry PI Zero W with the marcone TeslaCam features. I had waited to set this up until I had moved into a home with WiFi access (Was leaving in a condo until last month). So far, it works, but if you go into the car after it has gone to sleep, you have to wait until the Pi Zero reboots until it starts recording again. Leaving the car in Sentry mode keeps it awake. I do like the automatic backup feature to my computer

beejlee | 11. november 2019

Best deal at Costco $39.99 for 2 pack

SanDisk Extreme Plus 128GB microSD Card with Adapter, 2-pack
Item 1320128 Model SDSQXBZ-128G-ANCMA
Features:
4K UHD & Full-HD Ready
Up to 170MB's Read & 90MB's Write Speeds
Limited Lifetime Warranty

How does compare with SD Endurance?
Endurance is the key element.

ronjolley | 12. november 2019