Submitted by FISHEV on Wed, 2019-11-13 11:29
Battery Preconditioning and energy usage.
Submitted by FISHEV on November 12, 2019
We has a very informative thread on the "Battery Preconditioning" that comes when you navigate to a Tesla SC and the battery is cold.
The facts that emerged.
1. There is no dedicated heater for BP in the model 3. It uses heat from the motors to heat the battery via the liquid temp control system.
2. The BP is done by inducing inefficiency in the electrical usage of the motors to create additional heat.
3. The heat is routed to the battery to warm it.
4. If the car is moving slow or stopped in traffic and the motors are generating heat to warm battery then you can see a significant power draw on the battery.
5. If the car is traveling at speed, the motors will be likely be generating enough heat to warm the battery with less impact on efficiency.
These facts (as best I remember them) were posted by @jallred. He can look over my conclusions from the deleted thread and correct.