Forums

Scheduled Departure feature not working

Scheduled Departure feature not working

Is anyone else’s scheduled departure not working? My cabin temperature never changed

82bert | 15. november 2019

Pretty sure it’s not for cabin temp, but for charging/warming battery so you have good regen. Still need to manually turn on climate early.

Pg3ibew | 15. november 2019

What is the temp set to BEFORE you left the car?

jdcollins5 | 15. november 2019

I used Schedule Departure last night and it worked fine. Charging completed at 5:30 AM and cabin temp was at 66F when I got in the car at 9:00.

Joseb | 15. november 2019

I don't think the manual says anything about the temp of the cabin (HVAC), but the temp of the battery, and calculate when to start charging so is at the desired % level and optimal temp (battery wise) to the scheduled time.

Effopec | 15. november 2019

There's definitely a setting for cabin temp to come on. I've had mine on depart at 7:30 and it seems to be charged by 6:00 - much too early. and I don't really want the cabin temp to go on, it's not cold enough (or hot enough) for me to need it in the mornings. I've gone back to using the Stats app's smart battery prep.I use that to charge to 70% starting at 2 am, then to come on again at 7 am to up the charge to 80%. That way it is charging when I leave around 7:20 & I don't have regen dots.

M3phan | 15. november 2019

HVAC is used to make the cabin comfortable before departure. That’s in the release notes. The system will turn on at whatever temperature you have saved to your profile (or the easy entry profile). The battery is charged to end before 6 AM and then based on your set departure time the hvac will turn on and make the cabin comfy. The battery charge will also top off at this time.

jefjes | 15. november 2019

^^^^

slingshot18 | 15. november 2019

Read the release notes. It tries to finish charging before 6am for electricity pricing reasons. It will turn on HVAC to be ready by the time you want to drive based on the settings you had it on when you left it. If you had it on auto and set to 72 when you parked, it will be at 72 when you want to leave the next morning.

Brunoranger | 15. november 2019

So my climate portion isn’t working. My car charging stops at 6 am but makes no difference to me my electric rates are the same. All I want is 5 mins of climate control and battery conditioning before my scheduled time but it doesn’t seem to work

charles.a.braun | 15. november 2019

How long will it maintain the preset cabin temp and or battery temp?

Suppose I call in sick for work one day and therefore do not leave at my scheduled 5:30 AM departure.

At what point will the car realize I am not going to drive today and just resume normal operations? Or will the car stay at 70 degrees with the battery prepped all day just waiting for me?

Joseb | 15. november 2019

Ahh cool it sets the cabin temp as well, although not super critical for me :)

M3phan | 15. november 2019

@Bruno, another troubleshoot idea: make sure after you park that your climate control is still on and running before you exit.

andy | 15. november 2019

Conversely it’s important to move the slider scheduled start time to avoid unnecessarily heating the car if your schedule during the week is variable.

This feature does need some tweaking. Works OK for me at the moment as I’m using a lot more juice in the cold for my daily commute and can’t fit the recharge within a 4 hour 7kWh charge window at cheap rates. Will be frustrated if the software hasn’t been tweaked by the time the weather warms up a little. Can revert back to the scheduled start time to co from charging, but hoping Tesla will add a bit more control to what will eventually be a nice all year round feature.

kevin_rf | 16. november 2019

I can echo, it was a nice first attempt at the feature, but it needs some serious work.

Specifically:

Be able to set the TOU hours (mine are 11pm to 7am, not 6 am)

Turn off preconditioning the cabin. I almost never turn the environmental controls on before I get in the car. It heats up fast enough, and I'm in central Mass. Many of us would prefer it not turn on by itself. Complete waste of electricity.

82bert | 16. november 2019

My mistake. I guess it does. It’s set for my wife’s but not mine since I have a variable schedule.

anhlue | 16. november 2019

I think this feature only affects me. My discounted rates stop at 6am and I do leave around this time sometimes. Ironically, I have no idea how to set departure time. I’m wondering if it’s because I just have an SR+ model 3 with basic AP and no FSD? I went into Charging and no option on the app or screen in the car.

Sarah R | 16. november 2019

@kevin_rf said
"Turn off preconditioning the cabin. I almost never turn the environmental controls on before I get in the car. It heats up fast enough, and I'm in central Mass. Many of us would prefer it not turn on by itself. Complete waste of electricity."

It takes far more energy to change the canon temperature than to maintain it. The reason you precondition the cabin while on "shore power" is to reduce the load on the traction battery.

I know you're a hardy soul from Mass, but I think you'll find that you'll have a little extra range with not much impact on your electric bill if you precondition both the battery and the cabin before you drive, while still connected to your home charging solution.

Sarah R | 16. november 2019

s/canon/cabin/

(Autocorrect and I despise each other)

bill | 17. november 2019

I'd like to see the 6AM feature disable-able. For example: Taking long trip today, departing at 11AM. Set the battery to charge to 100% and I know it's not god to let it sit long at 100%. We don't have Time-Of-Day electricity here, so stopping charging at 6AM in anticipation of electric rates going up isn't needed..

ian | 17. november 2019

The 06:00 hard-coded limit makes it useless in the UK, where even if you have a time-based tariff it is controlled by a radio signal and typically ends at 08:30. I don't have a time-based tariff - I pay the same at all times of the day - so it's never going to work for me.

soltis2 | 24. november 2019

I set it at 3PM (or so I thought) to depart at 5:45 AM, but it started charging immediately and finished at 6PM - did not wait. Something tricky about setting this?

darrow149 | 25. november 2019

Scheduled departure and pre-conditioning worked at least once for me last week. Sunday night I checked to be sure all the settings were ready to go, but just after my scheduled departure time of 6am Monday my car was neither charged nor pre-conditioned. I'm switching back to starting at a pre-set time until this is fixed.

Pg3ibew | 25. november 2019

I noticed the same thing two weeks in a row. I am scheduled to be ready 530 am WEEKDAYS. Two Mondays in a row, the car was not charged, and the cabin was not warm. Every other day of the week, it has worked.
Also, it is charging as soon as I plug it in.

mjhwa | 26. november 2019

Yeah I've experienced all of the above with 1 car or 2 cars - neither scenario really works on Scheduled Departure.

Before this I was using Google Apps Script and the Tesla API's to achieve the intended Scheduled Departure behavior and was looking forward to deprecating that. It's not a 100% success rate due to rare cases that either Google Apps Script or Tesla API's fail but still way more reliable (~90%) than what's available natively in the car.

I'm confident it can be fixed by Tesla. I think it just needs to be able to read/calculate the charging rate prior to setting the start time to meet the scheduled departure time. Then it needs to either reset that start time if conditions change, e.g. the charge rate is changed due to another vehicle load sharing, and/or be able to throttle the charge rate to hit the scheduled charge time.

WEST TEX EV | 26. november 2019

V 2019.36.2.3 4a358fb

May have fixed this. Requires testing. SUGGESTION TO TESLA: Also would prefer this in APP.

Anettles | 19. desember 2019

Scheduled departure isn't working for me, I've had it active for three days and it hasn't warmed up the cabin.

Does it have to be plugged in to activate?

I drive to a Minnesota park-and-ride outdoor lot and leave the car for the day, so during the winter it's pretty cold by the time I get back. I usually remember to start the climate control from the app, but sometimes forget, for those times, it would be nice if it started the climate control on schedule.

kevin_rf | 19. desember 2019

I ran into it charging immediately when it first came out. Did a two thumb reboot and the issue went away. Your mileage vary.

Hopefully they are collecting use feedback and will improve it in a future update.

mjhwa | 22. desember 2019

As of 2019.40.2.1 it's still not working correctly. I have it on a single 240 outlet using the mobile connector which should give 20 mi/hr of charge. Based on my calculation to meet target SoC it should take 2 hours but Schedule Departure set it to start an additional hour earlier than it should.

I probably should have let it run anyway to see if it would slow the charge rate to finish at the set departure time but based on the max available rate, it's starting too early.

Bighorn | 22. desember 2019

Because it finishes charging at 6 am by design and conditions the cabin for your departure

Sarah R | 22. desember 2019

I have scheduled departure set to 0415 hrs daily. I had it miss once, but I suspect that it was because I fiddled with something in the app that confused it. Other than one time, it's been flawless. I do wish I could tell it that I work six days per week, not 5 and to take Sundays off.

What I've noticed is that it will bring the car to 70% charge as soon as I plug it in when I get home from work. Then just about 0330 hrs it wakes up, finishes charging to 80% (set point) and conditions the cabin.

Tronguy | 22. desember 2019

For what it's worth: It got below freezing yesterday and the day before. After those emails from Tesla about driving in cold weather and not particularly liking the warning about regen limited (due to cold batteries), decided to use the feature; first on Thursday evening when the daughter arrived, second on Friday morning when the son showed.
First off: It would be nice if the time and place for leaving was settable from the cell phone app, but such is life. I figure it'll show up in the future.
Second: With the daughter showing at 8:30 p.m. or so, around 2 in the afternoon got in the car and set the car to be ready at 8 p.m. Interesting: For a scheduled departure time, the choices are Off, On and Do It Every Day, and On and Do It On Work Days. I guess I was expecting something slightly more sophisticated with a "one time only" setting as well. Seems to be designed for commuter use.
The car went was plugged in at 60% state of charge and, once the scheduled departure was set, immediately stopped charging.
I checked the car periodically from the app. At 7:15 or so it was charging. It stopped charging at 7:30, but the climate was untouched.
At around 7:45 or so the climate was on. At 8 the SO and I walked out, the car unplugged from the wall, and we left with the car nice and toasty. Interestingly, the dashed line on the left was set, but not enough to substantially affect regen.
That was one day. Tried it again the next morning for a 9 a.m. departure for JFK; it pretty much worked the same way. Stopped charging around 8:30 a.m. and had just finished heating the interior to snuff at 9.
So: on a 2018 M3 with 2.5 computer LR RWD, the scheduled departure stuff seems to be working as advertised.

richardprince | 22. desember 2019

Since latest update the Scheduled Departure feature does not work. Also, when I first open the mobile app, the charging says check power connection and then 5 seconds later it shows a proper connection to the Wall Connector. Not sure if it’s a software problem or a bad port on the vehicle. The wall connector shows green led status light as normal?!?!

richardprince | 22. desember 2019

Since latest update the Scheduled Departure feature does not work. Also, when I first open the mobile app, the charging says check power connection and then 5 seconds later it shows a proper connection to the Wall Connector. Not sure if it’s a software problem or a bad port on the vehicle. The wall connector shows green led status light as normal?!?!

sprinkles5000 | 23. desember 2019

Software designer here...

...I'm really frustrated with how poorly thought out the home charging aspect of the software is.

Charging and climate should be kept separate and it should not be implied that everyone charges and commutes on a daily basis. The software should be flexible enough and thought out from the user's perspective.

Instead further complexifying the software experience and trying to brand it, here's what users need as separate options:

Scheduled Charging:
- The ability to set a time to start charging and to stop charging for week days and weekends.
- Users should be able to manually set the time based on their super off peak hours.

Scheduled Climate:
- Set the climate to turn on automatically based on the user's needs. This should be based on time of day, week day or weekend.
- The ability to keep the climate off for those of us who work from home and just want to charge.

The above shouldn't be that difficult to do and was solved back in the 1980s when VCRs existed...and comparative experiences for turning on and off devices by schedule or automatically are all around us today.

kevin_rf | 23. desember 2019

I've been in those meetings. We want a cleaner interface with less buttons so let's combine functions that work the way think they should. Ends up being re-coded every time. Usually after it's gone out to the customer and they come back with pitch forks and torches.

Sarah R | 23. desember 2019

If it were like setting an alarm on my Android phone ...

Pg3ibew | 23. desember 2019

@sprinkles. I had very similar issues with my plug in Ford Fusion Energi. It was never corrected for the 3 years I had the car.

ezio | 08. januar 2020

I tried this feature yesterday, pretty much useless as it is now.
I don't need cabin warm up, it warms up pretty quick as soon as I get on the car.

On the other hand, I need battery efficiency and regenerative breaking operational when I leave home.
I live in NW Italy and these days temperature is below freezing so regenerative braking is limited for a LONG way.

So, I did the scheduled departure myself :-)

I came up with a very simple table that tells me the charging power according to the remaining autonomy in order to finish charge at about the time I leave home for the daily commute ... in this case (I THINK) the batteries should be well conditioned and regenerative breaking should be OK.

Of course the Tesla, with all it's whistles and bells, does not do the power adjustment by itself, so again, I do it myself. I have a smart charging cable where I can set the maximum power I can allow to the car: I set the desired charging power for juicing the M3 up by 7:00 AM and we're good to go.

This is the theory .... tomorrow I'll test it.

tjbyemail | 12. januar 2020

I think Model 3 system has a bug. After you click "START CHARGING AT" button and change the time under "START CHARGING AT" section, the new time would NOT kick in unless you click "DEPART AT" button/section.

I am not should how the settings in "START CHARGING AT" and "DEPART AT" buttons/sections work? Are they working together? Or totally unrelated?

Assume you set 9:00pm in "START CHARGING AT" section, and 7:00am in "DEPART AT", with "Precondition cabin on weekdays only" ticked.

- If you click "START CHARGING AT" button/section and stay in this section, will Model 3 starts charging at 9:00pm and Stops when fully charged? Anf ignore the settings in "DEPART AT" section, which means will not start precondition at 7:00am on the next day?

- If you click "DEPART AT" button/section and stay in this section, will Model 3 ignore the setting in "START CHARGING AT" section, which means not start charging at 9:00pm? And only stop charging (if charging starts early) at 7;00am next day and start precondition at 7:00am on the next day?

So confusing. Tesla should modify the system and have a "Schedule" section with all settings in the section.

tjbyemail | 12. januar 2020

Add on: Model 3 System Version: 2019.40.50.7

ezio | 14. januar 2020

>finish charge at about the time I leave home for the daily commute ... in this case (I THINK) the batteries should
>be well conditioned and regenerative breaking should be OK.

Nope! Since one week my nightly charge finishes at the time I leave home, so I suppose batteries are not dead cold. Nevertheless limited regenerative braking is there to stay. TOOOOOOO Bad.

Environmental details: external temperature is about -2° C (28 F) , temperature in my garage is about 4°C (39 F), and after driving 60 Km (38 Mi) regenerative braking is still severely limited.

Is this the expected behavior in wintertime? Or should I check with Tesla CS?

bryan.whitton | 14. januar 2020

I don't know. It works perfectly for me.