Forums

Flag and 27Mhz Antenna mount for Cybertruck

Flag and 27Mhz Antenna mount for Cybertruck

Hello fellow (electric) trucker drivers!. Cybertruck is my first truck ever, so please excuse my newbie questions: Where does one install a HF/VHF/UHV large or small Antenna or a Flag on this vehicle?. Obviously, stainless steel cannot be drilled (the back side panel of the vehicle would have been an excellent place, however not 100% perpendicular relative to ground). Any suggestions are welcome.

As I get feedback from you, I will try to incorporate them in a 3D model for your viewing pleasure.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/tesla-cybertruck-5a86defda4b24836a504fe5...

'73s and thank you.

jordanrichard | 30. november 2019

No one knows except Tesla. There is literally only one Cybrtrk in existence at this point and no one outside of Tesla knows what can be added to the truck.

Darthamerica | 30. november 2019

The design we saw is a prototype. It may change like Model S did by the time the real car was released.

jordanrichard | 30. november 2019

No, the design won’t change. The angular design is driven by the type of steel they used. Due to the immense hardness, the panels can not be pressed like typical steel/aluminum.

Also, the sheet metal on the MS didn’t change. They changed the plastic bits but the structure stayed the same.

RedShift | 30. november 2019

You first take a sledgehammer to the door. Then throw steel balls at the glass. Once they crack, you can attach a flag or an antenna or antlers, depending upon your need.

TeslaTap.com | 30. november 2019

There are black bumpers on the front and rear. Perhaps an antenna could be mounted to one of these on the side. Not quite clear what they are made out of, but it seems like they are not stainless steel.

For something like CB at 27 MHz, there are glass antennas, where you attach the antenna to glass areas such as the top or windshield. A companion connection is mounting inside (no glass drilling) has the antenna cable. This will not work if Tesla uses a metallic layer in the glass, but they often create a "safe" place for transponders, that could work.

TeslaTap.com | 30. november 2019

Another place for possible mounting is the partial octagonal wheel covers. Again these do not look like stainless steel.

rxlawdude | 30. november 2019

"This will not work if Tesla uses a metallic layer in the glass, but they often create a "safe" place for transponders, that could work."
That Tesla glass that's shatter/"break proof" is enhanced with metal, I'm pretty sure.

The safe transponder location (typically at the top center of the windshield) would not be optimum for a whip antenna for those wavelengths.

At this point, we're all just spitballing.

@Jordan the design isn't final yet, what we saw would normally be considered a concept car. It may not charge much but it will change to accommodate mirrors, safety, aero and possibly ergonomics to allow easier access to the bed: https://electrek.co/2019/11/30/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-cybertruck-could-hit-...

Change* much

Darthamerica | 07. desember 2019

"jordanrichard | November 30, 2019
No, the design won’t change. The angular design is driven by the type of steel they used. Due to the immense hardness, the panels can not be pressed like typical steel/aluminum.
Also, the sheet metal on the MS didn’t change. They changed the plastic bits but the structure stayed the same."

https://electrek.co/2019/12/07/elon-musk-talks-tesla-cybertruck-specs-fi...

ernie | 08. desember 2019

@Darthamerica, they changed the nose of the MX before production began. It originally had the same nose as the original Model S.

Darthamerica | 08. desember 2019

Yes, I know. Some here don’t understand that Tesla rolls concept vehicles, calls them prototype or production to raise capital, then changes are applied before the actual production car is built.

jimglas | 08. desember 2019

like any other manufacturer

TeslaTap.com | 08. desember 2019

To me, a concept car is just an idea, with little intention of ever going into production. Almost all concept cars, with a few exceptions, are not functional cars. They often have no real interior, no drivetrain and zero software. They look great at a show, but you're not allowed to touch or sit in the vehicle. Many blackout the windows. These are often pushed into place since they can't be driven. I'm aware of one Tesla concept car that was shown - the red Model S at the reveal party.

The next level is the first design prototype. This is a functional car, with a usable interior and drivetrain. The vehicle can actually be driven. Now some prototypes will take shortcuts - perhaps using bits and pieces from other vehicles. Some prototypes use the entire drivetrain and suspension from another vehicle.

At the Model S revel, they also had a silver prototype, it was a fully running vehicle. I was at the revel and got to ride in that prototype along with hundreds of other guests. The seats I suspect were from MB, but key parts remained such as the 17" screen. Now I expect some items were non-functional, but quite a bit was. From the cool door handles to the huge hatchback. There were other small items that didn't make to production, such as the blue front accent lights, due to regulations.

Since then, each Tesla prototype has been a functional vehicle at the revel. At each revel, they allowed people to get in and go for a drive. I'm not aware of any legacy automakers that do this.

Other automakers show a concept that is roped off from close viewing, and then 2-3 years later have prototypes that look a little like the concept. These prototypes are usually hidden from the public, although sometimes seen in spy shots with strange wraps. These are used for internal testing. The final reveal is a few months before cars are available to purchase and are often the first engineering test vehicles off the production line. These are often considered prototypes but are almost identical to the final production vehicles.

Tesla has completely up-ended this process, and now many car companies are showing some of the new cars that are more of a prototype than a concept long before it can actually be purchased.

Cybertruck is a concept car. Doesn’t matter if it drives. That vehicle we saw on stage will never be sold. But it is a proof of concept and will influence the prototype which will be continuously tested and revised until they get to production. This is the standard, the only thing Tesla does different is the showmanship in order to help fund development by loans and shareholders.

jimglas | 08. desember 2019

It’s not what I say, it’s how you develop and bring a car to market.

TeslaTap.com | 08. desember 2019

@Darth - We may disagree on the difference between a concept vs prototype - which is fine. Often long in the future, better prototypes and concepts are sold for crazy high amounts of money. It may take 30 or more years, but I expect the Cybertruck prototype could be sold. Then again, in the future perhaps Tesla will have its own museum to show off all its prototypes. The museum could even include some of the failed "Tesla killer" vehicles from bankrupt legacy companies.

I’m not sure we know enough to say it could be sold. Tesla only shared specs. No details yet about the components, power train, batteries etc. Parts of Cybertruck may still be in development, parts may be ready. We just don’t know. But we know EM is saying that there will be design changes on Twitter.

Earl and Nagin ... | 08. desember 2019

@TT,
Were you at the Model S reveal in Hawthorne or the one in Fremont? I was at both.
The original Roadster reveal also had fully working prototypes and they gave rides to attendees. This has always been a big difference between Tesla and others.
Back to the OP's issue: I'm sure the stainless steel can be drilled with enough persistance if a glass-mount antenna isn't sufficient. I suspect that the EMI at HF will be a bigger problem than mounting the antenna.

NKYTA | 08. desember 2019

The was a Model S shell with no interior at the Menlo Park store for a year or so before it became a SvC.

BadgerErickson | 17. desember 2019

Ohhh that sketchfab is coolio!

I'd say a bracket off of the rear bumper. Have you looked at the SEMA Overlander videos?

BadgerErickson | 17. desember 2019

Ohhh that sketchfab is coolio!

I'd say a bracket off of the rear bumper. Have you looked at the SEMA Overlander videos?

Ehninger1212 | 17. desember 2019

Umm you most certainly CAN drill stainless steel. You just need a decent bit, drill lubricant and a slow speed. I do it all the time. 301 304 316.. easy.

PolishFalcon | 17. desember 2019

Are you a CB-er (“27 MHz”) or a real Ham (“73”j ? Or both?

TeslaTap.com | 17. desember 2019

@Earl and Nagin - I was at the Model S reveal at Menlo Park in April-2009 (there were several Fremont events about 2 years after that, but the Fremont factory wasn't owned yet by Tesla in 2009). I expect you meant the Menlo Park event? Cool that you got to go to both reveals and the Roadster reveal too!

Earl and Nagin ... | 17. desember 2019

@TT,
I was thinking about the first ride and factory tour experience at Fremont. I forgot that there was a 2nd Model S reveal in '09 in the bay area after the Hawthorne one. It didn't make sense to take up space in Menlo Park after being at the Hawthorne one. I'm glad you were able to make it there. Those reveals did not come cheap though. The Roadster one cost nothing to get in however, we were short $100K upon leaving, on the riskiest, most expensive thing we've ever done. . . . But look what it started!!! The Model S signature reservations cost $40K. A $100 reservation for a CT is just a total bargain. Back then it was easier to get to these events than today. Today, there are just so many Tesla drivers. However, its great having so much company these days! Thanks to everyone for jumping on board.
Back to the OP: I apologize for moving off topic. Other than the EMI issue, it seems like folks here think you'll have no problems mounting to the stainless steel if you work on it.

BadgerErickson | 18. desember 2019

Holy thread jacking!?!

Here's just one video of the OverLander section at SEMA, grab a few names you see and Google-fu .......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqNWZQjcr80

CT SHALL re-write this section at SEMA....all the DNs in other Tesla Forums, crying doubt bed access can go cry a fake rage river.....

msmirandagirl | 20. desember 2019

I agree with @Ehninger1212 . Stainless steel can be drilled with the right tools and technique. I work in the aviation industry and often have to do it. I use cobalt drill bits and a pneumatic drill motor with a speed of no more than 600 rpm. Lubricant is essential. I use Boelube solid or paste lubricant which was developed specifically for drilling and machining aircraft grade metals such as high strength aluminum, stainless steel, and titanium. It's available online in a variety of formulations and is non-toxic and biodegradable. Use slow speeds to avoid heat buildup and with steady but not extreme pressure. Let the drill bit do the work and change bits frequently. Another tip is to use a short length bit so so it won't flex and will give you more control. We call them "jobbers" in the trade.

BadgerErickson | 29. desember 2019

From what I've seen, not advisable to do this to door panels, or other highly visible pieces. The SS stretches after you cut or pierce it with anything, in anyway. It distorts itself as you disturb it's skin.

TabascoGuy | 30. desember 2019

No it doesn't. Stop making stuff up.

BadgerErickson | 30. desember 2019

I'm NOT "making stuff up."

Search YT vids on SS work; people who do it for living give THAT warning.

Dude, I've been drilling, piercing, and, stamping holes in all kinds of metal, including stainless steel, since Shep was a pup.

Looking something up on YT does not make anyone an expert.

BadgerErickson | 30. desember 2019

I didn't say watching the experts, makes me an expert.

BTW- NOBODY needs to mount an antennae via a mount that goes through the SS on the CTs, when people have been fabricating THESE antennae brackets for DECADES now. Duh.

Dude, if you need to get upset and beat somebody or mangle a dog, go somewhere else to do it.

andy.connor.e | 30. desember 2019

None of you need to be bickering at eachother over antennas for vehicles that dont exist yet. Tone it down a bit eh?

None of you need to be bickering at eachother over antennas for vehicles that dont exist yet. Tone it down a bit eh?

Sorry guys, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Drilling a hole in a flat piece of SS, if done properly, won't distort anything.

Better?

not sure, badgers response will tell so

BadgerErickson | 31. desember 2019

No worries TabascoGuy, I was just reporting what the expert SS workers have made videos on, with their reported warnings about SS work. As Andy needs to troll, our CT is closer to rolling out. We'll stop feeding the trolls. OP has not returned, of course...

andy.connor.e | 31. desember 2019

The OPs typically dont return to their threads