Forums

Varying level 3 charging

Varying level 3 charging

First place 671 mi/hr
Next place 425 max
Both were level 3 I'm curious if there is a way figure out this kind of stuff in advance to help pick the best location

GHammer | 06. desember 2019

Charging rates depend on a variety of factors. Battery charge level, battery Temperature, shared pedestals. More details needed to tell you why the difference in your particular case.

Bighorn | 06. desember 2019

SOC is the main factor on a warm battery that is unpaired.

dvargo71 | 06. desember 2019

The one that was higher actually had two other cars plugged in and the one that was lower had none. The temperature was within a couple degrees andn the battery was at almost exactly the same level in other words all the factors why you do it should have been reversed. Both times I entered in the Tesla Supercharger location but I'm not sure if the car precondition the battery either way the charging speed was consistent from the beginning until the end so I don't think that was a factor

dvargo71 | 06. desember 2019

Also at both locations I had to manually release the charging cord. This has only happened to me once before. Is there a delay like a minute when it's done to be safe? Any ideas why this happened?

stingray.don | 06. desember 2019

With the V3 chargers, you do not share power with the neighboring stall, so other cars charging should have no effect. Are you sure both of these were V3 chargers?

Bighorn | 06. desember 2019

It would be challenging to go to two V3 chargers in a row. They are quite rare.

CST | 06. desember 2019

He wrote "Level 3", not "Version 3".

apodbdrs | 06. desember 2019

I think, currently the only operational Level 3 charger locations are Fremont,Ca, Hawthorne, Ca and Las Vegas, NV. Others are coming online.

spuzzz123 | 06. desember 2019

Don’t think he means “generation 3” supercharging. I think any fast charging is considered level 3 isn’t it? All tesla superchargers are level 3 I think

kevin_rf | 07. desember 2019

It's possible the OP hit one of the few v2 120kw chargers that Tesla was unable to upgrade to 150kw. His numbers would match. When you select the SC on the map, it will tell you if it's a 150kw, 120kw, or, shudder one of those 72kw Urban chargers.

hokiegir1 | 07. desember 2019

@apodbdrs - I know of 2 online in the southeast (Nashville, TN and Metter, GA), with a 3rd expected any time now (Clearwater, FL).

But I agree that the OP meant Level 3 charging, not V3 superchargers.

Bighorn | 07. desember 2019

Good point about the vernacular. I automatically assume V3 when anyone brings up numbers anymore since they were obviously DC fast/superchargers by the speed. I’ll stick with my first SOC answer in that case since I was led astray:) 671 mph is not a rate that will be sustained for long at approx 160 kW nor a rate most V2 (150kW) chargers are even capable of.

639mph is the highest I've gotten -- and that was at 149kw and around a 25% or so SOC (my screenshot shows 71 miles).

@hokie
Interesting that your replenishment rate was so low (233 Wh/m). On the S at least, the replenishment rate is 22 Wh/m higher than the burn rate. 300 vs 278 for locomotion.

@bighirn - and our lifetime average is 260wh/m...so that's definitely not a factor. ;)

Sorry for the typo...fingers aren't working well with the phone keyboard today.

It could be possible with a RWD LR. Still the numbers don’t add up for the OP. 671 x .233 is still over 156 kW.

Didn’t notice. My brain has pretty good autocorrect:). As do most. I’m sure you’re familiar with that gibberish paragraph that most people can read based mostly on first and last letters.

dvargo71 | 07. desember 2019

It was a Tesla level 3 supercharger "good" one was in Ann Arbor. Bad one was at Meijer at 2944 Walkent Dr NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49544

Seocnd time at started fast and slowed as battery got full and lots of other tesla arrived.

Also All 3x I had to manually unlock the charging cord - why?

Where is the best place to look to see comments on charge speeds and check availability (how many open stalls) when in route?

Tap the lightning bolt to see all the SCs within 300ish miles. That will show occupancy icons for each. You can drill down to configuration by touching individual flags.

apodbdrs | 07. desember 2019

@spuzzz123, I meant Tesla V3 charging locations. Article in link was as of July 2019.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/18/teslas-new-v3-supercharger-can-charge-...

https://supercharge.info/changes

Don't forget plug share for supper charger reviews.

Tesla lists the "bad one" on 2944 Walkent Dr NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49544 as a 120kw charger. Which is about the charging speed you posted.

While Tesla lists the Ann Arbor, MI super charge as 120kw, your charger rate is more like 150kw. Maybe slightly above 150kw.

Thanks the tip about where to find reviews is what I was looking for. I'm headed back for the second round now and stop in Maumee Ohio that was also slower 300 to 400 I'm still trying to get someone explain to me why all four times I had to manually release the lock to unplug the super charging cord. Never had to do this before at home

dvargo71 | 08. desember 2019

I've now been to a few and after the initial amazing great experience I've had terrible luck. Grand Rapids super charger o. 28th street never broke 200mi/hour. Stayed around 27kw. There was one car there and when I left it made almost no difference I tried two different stalls.

gparrot | 08. desember 2019

dvargo, when you say "manually release the cord", do you mean via the latch in the trunk?

dvargo71 | 08. desember 2019

Yes trunk latch. I figured out I wasn't pushing the button on the charging cord! Bighorn what is SOC?

Also how long does preconditioning typically take?

Also my last post should have said 47kw (not 27)

Bighorn | 08. desember 2019

SOC is state of charge i.e. battery charge in %. Battery preconditioning really only serves a purpose when the car is first driven while cold. A warmed up car is generally going to get the maximal charging rate. The rate is highly dependent on the SOC and slows dramatically as the battery fills. Duration of preconditioning is dependent on the initial temperature of the battery.