Forums

Credit Card Info Stolen

Credit Card Info Stolen

My Credit Card Info was stolen at a nearby restaurant while supercharging either in Ardmore or Oklahoma City last week. Just letting you all know.

andy.connor.e | 17. desember 2019

Thanks "firstname.lastname"!

Also looks like credit card info can be stolen at gas pumps. More reason to drop the gASS.

Magic 8 Ball | 17. desember 2019

What is the CC #? Please include expiry date and 3 digit code on back

jordanrichard | 17. desember 2019

While I am sure people appreciate the warning, perhaps naming the specific restaurant would be more beneficial.

Its not a real person. Its another one of those firstname.lastname

Not all firstname.lastname posts are bogus. The post seems to be a sincere heads up void of any details that try to hold Tesla accountable, I think.

Not all. But 49/50 are.

TabascoGuy | 17. desember 2019

He knows the info was stolen at a nearby restaurant but not where it was nearby??

Gray Goose | 17. desember 2019

Magic Ball you're full of BS. That happens to be my registered name with Tesla. I didn't say which restaurant because I'm not sure of which one. It was either BJ's in OKC or Classic Interurban Grill. And NO I am not in any way blaming Tesla.

TabascoGuy | 17. desember 2019

In that case, thanks for the PSA.

@larry Perhaps you did not realize I was the only one giving you benefit of doubt and defending you. My first post was a snarky joke that anyone would have picked up on. My second post defended you with the claim you might be sincere unlike others that jumped to firstname.lastname = bad.

The OP returns! god speak!

Shut down your CC and get a new one. This is not Tesla forum thread worthy.

To explain in further: Tesla will give you a default forum name usually based on email name. You can go into your account and change that. There are quite a few fake accounts that take advantage of the default naming convention to hack into this site and post FUD.

Andy, it was shut down immediately after it happened. I got an alert when they tried to charge $750 for TMobile gift cards. Thanks Magic. I'll look into changing that.

Ok. Looks like Magic helped you with the forum name thing. But what can we help with your CC situation?

lilbean | 17. desember 2019

My identity thief was working at a doctor’s office! Shame!

lilbean | 17. desember 2019

I called the doctor’s office to tell them to investigate who could be doing it and they said, it’s very common and has happened to the employees there, even the doctor. Duh!

Andy, nothing to do. I just wanted to let other owners to be aware of their CC and possible compromise when visiting restaurants while charging. It's a major pain in the ass when it happens.

it seems like you had your cc stolen at a restaurant, and doesnt really have anything to do with Tesla.

We have been hit a few times, each time the CC companies noticed unusual activity and ate the fraud (which gets passed onto everyone). We also had people try to file fake tax returns in our name, talk about a royal PIA (it took a couple of years and physical visits to the IRS to get that straightened out).

Andy, Nothing to do with Tesla other than it happened near a charging station with a captive audience.

Xerogas | 17. desember 2019

But what does this have to do with turtles? This is a Tesla forum; we only talk about Tesla and turtles here.

Turtles changes everything. I suspect the Tesla people held captive are forced to eat turtles. oh the humanity.

TeslaTap.com | 17. desember 2019

Smart things to do to help avoid ID theft (but not CC card info):

1) Put a freeze on the three credit bureaus, so no one can take out a loan with your name. There is no cost for this (if someone is charging, it's a scam). It also prevents someone from creating a new credit card in your name.

2) Get the IRS to issue you an additional ID code that is required for each submittal. It changes each year too. That way someone can't file a fake return.

rxlawdude | 17. desember 2019

I'll tell an alternate story with a happier ending.

This past summer we traveled from Orange County to Calgary. We stopped for a charge and lunch at Hop Valley Brewing Co in Springfield, OR. I stupidly forgot to put my credit card back in my wallet.

Discovering this about 350 miles north, I called the restaurant and they indeed had the card. They held it for almost two weeks until we stopped for lunch and a charge on the way home.

And not an errant charge to be found since.

reed_lewis | 18. desember 2019

This post would be like saying that since I was charging my Tesla at work and I found out about the theft, I should write an article about it.

Unless you now specifically which location resulted in the theft, there is nothing useful gained by this thread.

rxlawdude | 18. desember 2019

@reed, but I did articulate at least one specific Supercharger-adjacent place that won't steal your card or its information. :-)

hcwhy | 18. desember 2019

The guy's spending his time to give us a heads up about a potential threat, and people are snarky to him. What's happening to our civilization?

Magic 8 Ball | 18. desember 2019

@hcwhy I wonder what is happening when I read these alarmist type posts from anonymous people that are intended to make others fearful. Who does it serve to point out you might get ripped off at some restaurant near a supercharger? The fact is everyone is vulnerable anywhere they use their CC and there is nothing special about more risky about using businesses near superchargers. Please read through the FUD and pushback.

lilbean | 18. desember 2019

As an identity theft target, I appreciate this info.

Xerogas | 18. desember 2019

Clickbait headline implies that Tesla was somehow involved in stealing credit card info.

A more accurate headline would read “I was in this one town, not sure, maybe a different town, and I was near an electrical outlet, and someone stole my credit card info. WATCH OUT FOR CREDIT CARD THIEVES WHO EXIST IN, UHH, AMERICA”