Forums

Crash repair and sensor recalibration

Crash repair and sensor recalibration

Just watched Autoline discuss this issue. One party suggested that lots of cars were repaired with sensor calibration not properly done and were out on the streets in unsafe condition.

Any owners here have experience with this? Screwed up lane following, emergency braking, or some other bad result?

Geico | 07. mars 2020

Can you clarify or post an article? No clue what you're talking about. I had a front sensor repaired on my Model 3.

F.vanalstine | 07. mars 2020

Just saying Autoline said some collision repairs did not recalibrate sensors correctly and thus causes problems. The discussions applied to all newer cars with some form of driver assist, not just Teslas.

Wondering if any Tesla owners have experienced this issue. Evidently many body shops are not up to speed regarding sensor repair and calibration after crash damage.

FISHEV | 07. mars 2020

I had my bumper off to be painted by Tesla/Progressive approved body shop. No issues. Those are mostly the parking sensors so easy to test. There is a radar in there also, left side I think, and that could be problematic. Not sure if the radar is part of adaptive cruise or it just uses the cams like Subaru’s top rated Eyesight.

FISHEV | 07. mars 2020

Nothing unique about Tesla bumper sensors, a lot of cars have them so most body shops no doubt get specs to use to reset them after new bumper is installed.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 07. mars 2020

“ There is a radar in there also, left side I think”

It’s on the right, and it’s used for front facing automated driving purposes.

FISHEV | 07. mars 2020

My bump was on the right side. The body shop said they had called Tesla to confirm no radar issues with the repair. As the cop pointed out when writing the report, he tells people with newer cars to always get a police report and always get it checked out as a lot of cars have front bumper sensors and can be a lot of hidden damage.

FISHEV | 07. mars 2020

My bump was on the right side. The body shop said they had called Tesla to confirm no radar issues with the repair. As the cop pointed out when writing the report, he tells people with newer cars to always get a police report and always get it checked out as a lot of cars have front bumper sensors and can be a lot of hidden damage.

EVRider | 07. mars 2020

Tesla-approved body shops should know how to recalibrate everything after repairing damage, with or without the help of a service center.