Forums

Is the battery in the 2020 bigger than before?

Is the battery in the 2020 bigger than before?

Drag times just released a video comparing the power output of the Model Y vs the Model 3. One of the things they measured was the battery capacity, the Model Y's battery is 5KWh larger than the Model 3, 77.x vs 72.x. The Y and the 3 are supposed to share the same drive train parts, I would think that the increase in capacity is more likely to be due to an improvement in battery chemistry rather than a new pack. The Model 3 is now advertised with a range of 323 rather than 310. We haven't seen any software updates that improve the range of the M3, if they've quietly improved the battery chemistry then that would account for the discrepancy. Drag times uses Scan My Tesla which requires the installation of a OBDII plug. Has anyone done this with a 2020 Model 3?

FISHEV | 31. mars 2020

Why is Tesla so secretive about battery size. All the other manufactures are up front on battery size but Tesla creates a cottage industry of trying to guess actual battery size.

Magic 8 Ball | 31. mars 2020

FISHEV is an EVIL DISGUSTING TROLL who has a full time occupation of bashing Tesla on this forum.

Knowing battery size is meaningless. No manufacturer will disclose what portion of a battery is used and they will not tell you absolute efficiency from battery to wheels.

FISHEV | 31. mars 2020

Magic 8 Ball | March 31, 2020 No manufacturer will disclose what portion of a battery is used and they will not tell you absolute efficiency from battery to wheels."

They all tell battery size (this question), only Tesla doesn't. Ford stats that my Mach-E Premium has a 98kWh battery. My battery is bigger than your battery!

Joshan | 31. mars 2020

YOu stated you do not know Tesla battery sizes, that are your words I can quote if you like. Now you say your battery is bigger.

How do you know which is bigger if you don't know the size? idiot

Magic 8 Ball | 31. mars 2020

FISHEV is an incompetent FILTHY LYING DISGUSTING TROLL

Knowing battery size is meaningless if they do not tell you how much is used and efficiency which they don't tell you.

The two variables I mention vary from manufacturer to manufacture.

FISHEV is EVIL with his LIES and agenda to bash Tesla.

roger.klurfeld | 31. mars 2020

No. It really doesn't matter what the size is of the battery pack. What matters is what the BMS thinks it is. The numbers you cite are, I believe, not correct. i can speak only for the Model 3. When the 3 came out, Tesla said that it was 75 kWh. That was a nominal size. The EPA rated the size as 80.5 kWh. Then Tesla noted to the EPA that the pack is really 78.27 kWh. Take your pick. What's important is how the battery management system treats it. All of the increases in range since the Model 3 came out are a result of software changes to the BMS.

As for the Model Y, it's battery pack comes off the same line as the Model 3.

bjrosen | 31. mars 2020

The Dragtimes figure came from the OBDII scanner. If the pack is still 78.27 then if Tesla is using 77 on the Model Y they've left almost no buffer space. That seems really risky, either they are willing to risk the warranty costs for battery replacement in order to be able to claim 315 miles of range or they've improved the battery chemistry and the battery capacity is now higher. The M3 is now four years old, a bump to the chemistry was due about now. Chevy had a similar size bump to the Bolt's range in the 2020 which they said was due to a change in battery chemistry.

bjrosen | 31. mars 2020

Here is the video, the pack size is at 8:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmrlhOUhEJw

bjrosen | 31. mars 2020

I just looked at the comments on the Dragtimes video. They misread the battery capacity, it's the same as the Model 3. I watched the video on my Firestick where there are no comments, after posting the link to the Youtube video I looked at it in my browser and saw their retraction.