Forums

Communication between Powerwall2 Gateway and Solaredge SE-15k inverter

Communication between Powerwall2 Gateway and Solaredge SE-15k inverter

Dear All,

I have an installation with 3 Powerwall2 batteries + Powerwall Gateway. My inverter is a Solaredge SE-15K. During the setup of the Powerwall, in installer mode, one ask to add the inverter. I found the Solaredge SE-15K, but there is a checkbox for the communication in order to set the IP address of the inverter. I got the address on the display of the inverter (192.168.1.107); I ping it, it's reachable. But when I try to check the communicaiton within the Powerwall setup, the test fails. Has anyone some experience with the IP communication beetween the Gateway and an inverter, especially the Solaredge models, and if possible the SE models?

Thanks and kind regards

TeslaTap.com | 18. kan 2020

This may not help, but I have Delta inverters. Tesla's version deleted the WiFi and added in Zigbee to connect with the gateway. My guess is your inverters also connect via Zigbee, but they left the WiFi in the inverters and they are not used and/or accessible.

There is another IP that the gateway uses. Check your router for that address. It has an unclear numerical name, but the mac address likely starts with 88:DA.

If you enter that address in your browser address bar and bypass the warnings it is not safe (it doesn't have a certificate), you'll see the connection to the gateway and the ability to show some information similar to the app.

gregbrew | 18. kan 2020

Please be clear in your descriptions of "gateways".

There is the Communications Gateway, that's a little box about 5" square and an inch tall that lives inside the residence somewhat near to the inverter. That Com Gateway communicates with the Inverter via Zigbee, then forwards the data to the Tesla servers via the residence *wired* Ethernet. The Com Gateway doesn't use WiFi...at all, and is used for production data for solar PV-only systems. For consumption data in PV-only systems, a PowerBlaster device and current transformers (CTs) must be installed in the main electrical panel. There are several reasons (space available and local building codes) that a PowerBlaster can not be installed. Without using sophisticated data interception techniques (like Noam has done), users cannot directly access Com Gateway data from the device, so during a power loss, it's likely that no data from the PV system and Com Gateway will be forthcoming from the Internet. You will be flying blind, as far as inverter data is concerned, unless you have a separate system that some micro-inverters provide.

There is the Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG), that's a large box (much like an electrical panel) that lives on a wall next to the home's main electrical panel. The TEG uses CTs to measure inflows and outflows from PV and the grid to forward to the Tesla servers. The data is used to generate production, consumption, offset and other data for reporting through the Tesla app. The TEG reports its data to the Tesla servers via one of three methods: The AT&T cell network, the residence wired Ethernet connection, or the residence WiFi network. It is possible (as TeslaTap indicted above) to communicate directly with the TEG through its built-in WiFi WAP. You will see it listed as "TEG-XXX" on your "Available Networks" list in your device WiFi settings, where the "XXX" is the last three digits of the TEG's serial number on the inside of the door of your TEG. The WiFi password is the entire serial number, preceded by an "S". Set your browser to use the TEG WiFi, and navigate to 192.168.91.1. Pass through all of the security messages (it's safe) and get to the provided Power Flow screen without even logging in to the site itself. This Power Flow info will be available even if the grid is down and the Tesla servers are unavailable.

TeslaTap.com | 18. kan 2020

@gregbrew - Yep, my system is a bit different. Perhaps Tesla changed it for the solar roof? There is no separate communications gateway. Both of my Delta inverters have the Zigbee network built-in and they communicate to the TEG. Both my Delta inverters also include an LCD display panel and rudimentary navigation buttons. So different designs for different configurations.

My TEG has the Cellular/WiFi/Ethernet connection. I don't have a WiFi entry "TEG....", but just starts with a bunch of numbers. Using that URL (192.168.... etc.) gains the same web app as you describe.

gregbrew | 19. kan 2020

Interesting. I only have a Com gateway because my installation started as PV-only in late 2015, and I added PWs in early 2019. I still access the Com Gateway data via the SolarGuard and MySolarCity sites.

The SolarGuard, MySolarCity and Tesla app data is always a little different. The SolarGuard data matches what's on the front of my inverter, so I use it as the most accurate data for my history database.

The Tesla app data is consistently about 3% higher than the SolarGuard data, and the MySolarCity number is somewhere in-between. Weird, because the SolarGuard and MySolarCity data is theoretically coming from the same source...the inverter. The Tesla app data comes from the TEG and it's CTs. The TEG's CTs are at the end of a 25' cable, in a shared J-box with some other power cables. I suspect that the CTs are picking up stray magnetic fields from the other cables in the box, to the tune of about a 3% error...

alechenne | 24. kan 2020

Dear All,

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to clarify my questions (as english isn't my mother tongue). I'm talking about the Tesla Energy Gateway (TEG). During the setup process of hte TEG (though http 192.168.91.1 if I'm not wrong), which is normally driven by an installer (but in my case I did it), in a given step (I dont' remember which sequence is it but certainly different in Switzerland as in the US), setup asks for the kind of Inverter you have (brand name and model): for me, it's a SolarEdge SE-15k model. Up that step, everything works fine. During that step, it's also possible to enable a check box for the IP communication with the inverter and you've to enter the IP address of the inverter ... what I did. But when I press the button to check the communication, I got an error saying there is a communication issue. I double checked the IP address of the Inverter (192.168.1.107 displayed on the Inverter screen) and ping it successfully. These IP address is also in IP the range of the TEG (192.168.1.106, subnet mask 255.255.255,0).

Has anyone of your an idea of what are the functionnality to communicate between the Inverter and the TEG as there are also some current transformers in the TEG to measure the solar production from the Inverter.

Has also someone of you successfully enable the IP communication between the Inverter and the TEG?

Thanks in advance + kind regards

gregbrew | 24. kan 2020

I'm pretty sure that there is no communication at all between the inverter and the TEG.

I say this, because the Powerwalls are instructed by the TEG to shift their power output frequency outside of the specified range in order to shut off the inverter when the PW is full and the solar array is illuminated. The inverter thinks the grid is bad because it's out of frequency, and it shuts itself down as a result.

If the TEG had a direct communications link to the inverter, it could tell the inverter to shut down directly, rather than needing to do the out-of-spec frequency shift via the Powerwalls.

No need to apologize for your English. It's infinitely better than my Swiss!

alechenne | 26. kan 2020

Dear @gregbrew, thanks for your comments. The regulations concerning the export of surplus of solar production vary from country to country, and in Switzerland, at least for the size of my installation (but I believe up to 30 kWp), it is possible to feed back into the grid without limitation. But regulations can change. In any case, my smart energy management system makes it possible to limit exports between 0 and 100%.
In a next post, I will make a screenshot of the step of the TEG configuration wizzard where we configure the inverter.

Greetings from Switzwerland.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)