First of all, please accept my apology if the topic I am writing about has already been discussed. (I searched first, and can not find this discussed with respect to Canada.) OK, now on to the topic:
I have finally been able to chase down the situation with upgrades here in Canada. Until very recently, I have been continuously told that these upgrades are not yet available in Canada. But I now know they are and am aware of at least one owner who had the upgrades done. I had also been continuously told that one has to be invited to do the upgrade and to patiently wait until invited. Not being the most patient person, instead I called my local service centre. "Yes, you can have the upgrade, just schedule an appointment and we will book you in for it. We can do it in the shop or in your driveway." So I now am booked for a couple of weeks out as some parts are not in stock and are being ordered.
Here is the deal, and I imagine it may be the same or similar in the US: If you have pre-paid for the HW3 upgrade, it is available now in Canada. You have 2 choices. a) HW3 alone (which will be done at no cost as it has already been paid for with the purchase of FSD); b) HW3 and MCU2 for which the cost is C$3,310 + HST. This cost includes replacement of the MCU1 circuit board with MCU2, the centre screen and the console in front of the steering wheel. So although C$3,310 is a LOT of money for the MCU2, it is important to note that it does include a lot of hardware (i.e. the 3 units mentioned above).
I was unsure if I wanted it at all at that $$$ amount because from what I understand most of the features that one gets are the entertainment features which are of no interest to me. I understand that the MCU2 is needed for some of the visualizations, but was thinking I might accept fewer in order to save this large amount of money. What swung it for me though is the many parts being replaced. Of specific interest for me was the replacement of the MCU1 (which will fail eventually as has been discussed at length on this board), AND replacement of the centre screen (which on my car has those ugly yellow lines). Finally, the last thing that swung it for me: the manager of the local office told me that if I choose to do the MCU upgrade later as opposed to doing it together with the HW3 upgrade (i.e. including all the related components) it may be a long wait as there is no current program (in Canada) to do the MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. The manger said it was his opinion that it may be a long wait as Tesla expects to do all the HW3 upgrades first, before getting going with a program to upgrade the MCU1 without it happening at the same time as the upgrade to HW3. Well that could be a long wait. So now i am getting both.
And that is the situation in Canada.