Forums

Small scuff mark on a rim today, need info.

Small scuff mark on a rim today, need info.

Today was a bad day. My front rim on my M3 SR, 18" rim received a small scuff mark. Broke my heart. I have been to Lowe's looking at chip colors and so far, all I can do is come close to the Tesla stock gray.

Does anyone know where I can order matching rim color touch up paint?

spuzzz123 | 27. kan 2020

This worked great for me. Mine was badly run rashed. I sanded it down to fix the texture then applied this touch up paint. Hard to find the defect now.

Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE66OK8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

spuzzz123 | 27. kan 2020

*rim rashed

JimShaw | 27. kan 2020

spuzzz123

Excellent. Thank You!!

M3phan | 27. kan 2020

I concur with spuzz, I’ve use the exact same product to excellent result

spuzzz123 | 27. kan 2020

This guy put much more effort into it than I did but gives you the idea of what it can look like. It’s not an oem color but it’s really close.

https://youtu.be/gQGrX3-MwZA

JimShaw | 27. kan 2020

Excellent, excellent.

This is one of the reasons I love this forum. When needed, owners help.

I found Oreille's Auto Parts store has that Ford product in stock and there is a store 3 miles from me.

That means I can start tomorrow. I don't know if I'm going to do as the video shows but might.

Thanks

sheldon.mike1010 | 27. kan 2020

I've used the paint recommended by Spuzzz123 and it's a perfect match.

M3phan | 27. kan 2020

Super easy, lightly sand scuff, wipe with alcohol, touch up with the paint side, let dry, touch up with the clearcoat, Fantastico!

bp | 28. kan 2020

One more vote: used the same product with perfect match results.

Lorenzryanc | 28. kan 2020

Nothing really to add, but can also confirm color match. Smooth out the scuff as best you can so color and texture match when dried. Nice cheap fix.

EAPme | 28. kan 2020

Agree, easy to do and can help draw your eyes away from the constant reminder of curb rash or scratches.

I can't help but think that as a group of M3 w/18" wheel owners, "we" might represent the bulk of Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow sales.

JimShaw | 28. kan 2020

Picked up the Dupli-Color AFM0360.

spuzzz123 mentioned that it can be purchased on Amazon for $14.70. I was ready to order than I took a look at retail auto stores and they also have it but for $16.99. I decided to pay the higher priced because I want to fix it today vs waiting for shipping.

Sanded the rash with a 220 sandpaper, then an 800. Cleaned with alcohol--let dry. Applied first coat--let dry 1/2 hour, applied a second coat--let dry 1/2 hour. Applied the top coat.

Looks darn good. The AFM0360 is a great match. No one would ever notice that I screwed up and created a small rash on a rim.

Thanks all for your help

billstanton | 28. kan 2020

You can only see road rash when the car stops moving. Just sayin'

spuzzz123 | 28. kan 2020

Good deal glad you got her fixed up, and I understand more than anyone paying extra to have it sooner rather than later. Besides, O’Reilleys needs your money more than Jeff Bezos

johnpickensavl | 28. kan 2020

Does anyone have similar input on improving rash on the 19 inch wheels?

JimShaw | 28. kan 2020

"spuzzz123 | May 28, 2020
Good deal glad you got her fixed up, and I understand more than anyone paying extra to have it sooner rather than later. Besides, O’Reilleys needs your money more than Jeff Bezos"

I agree with you 100%

--------------------------------------------

"johnpickensavl | May 28, 2020
Does anyone have similar input on improving rash on the 19 inch wheels?"

Are they the same color as the 18"?

johnpickensavl | 29. kan 2020

no these are silver/stainless