Forums

GA to NJ in Model 3 roundtrip with kids completed.

GA to NJ in Model 3 roundtrip with kids completed.

1800 miles round trip. 9 superchargers and one destination charger. Interstate speeds 75-85, AC on, 2 adults and 3 kids ages 4,6,8. Easiest trip via this route I have ever done. Autopilot with Autosteer 90% of the time on Interstate. Used onboard Nav and charging recommendations plus as a back up Betterrouteplanner app.
Thank you Tesla and Elon for making EV travel reality and not just empty promises like many others out there.

Bighorn | 27. kan 2020

Mountains would be more interesting and funner driving than 95 and less traffic around DC. Hard to know what rush hours look like on any given day with Covid. A friend drove from DC to here in south Jersey yesterday and took a picture since it’s the only time he’d ever been alone on the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

yudansha™ | 27. kan 2020

I-77 and I-81 have stunning views. Enjoy.

mazers | 28. kan 2020

Personally, I'd go with the mountain route. Way better views and you may be able to 'sightsee' more if using Autopilot. I stay off of 95 if possible as there is usually too much traffic plus there always seems to be construction. Driving on 95 now would probably be like driving on the autobahn now with fewer cars, but there would be plenty of trucks.

WW_spb | 28. kan 2020

Hahah Thanks guys. I have taken both routes million times but It will be first time driving Tesla to NJ and long trip with EV. That is why I was asking which way is better from perspective of driving EV. It will be me and my Family. I am looking forward to this experience and to compare this trip to my many trips in Ice cars to the same destination. Can't wait!

yudansha™ | 28. kan 2020

Either route will be more relaxing on AP.

vmulla | 28. kan 2020

I had my fastest Supercharging experience at the Allentown PA supercharger, and you *might* hit it if you take the mountain route. However, that supercharger is NOT the best location for a charge because of the current Covid19 situation; access food and facilities at that location will be a bit more troublesome than before.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/wait-i-didnt-even-order-food-yet

----
Did anyone face trouble with food or facilities around the superchargers along those routes?

EVRider | 28. kan 2020

Many superchargers along 95, maybe not as many along the inland route, but still more than enough I would guess.

Tronguy | 28. kan 2020

Live in NJ. Up and down the interstates on the East Coast, especially as one approaches PA, NY, and NJ, there's tons of superchargers. You won't run into trouble, if that's what you're asking.
I like the mountain route, up inside the Shenandoah Valley and such. Much prettier than I-95.
FWIW, the SO and I drove down I-95 to Savannah, spent a few days, then up to Charleston for another few days, then a two-day trip up the shore through NC, Kitty Hawk, Eastern Shore of Virginia, and across on the ferry to Cape May (i.e., the Eastern route). The SC's are spread out quite a bit more than I95/I81 and all, but no problems whatsoever finding and getting recharged at the occasional supercharger.

hokiegir1 | 28. kan 2020

I mean, the better way is to not end up in NJ.

I kid, I kid. I lived there when I was younger.

Some of the mountain sections are likely to be closed off at the moment. I know Tail of the Dragon in NC has been off and on, though I'm not sure if it's actually on this particular route. The I-85 stretch through NC and VA feels interminable -- so I'd avoid that however possible.

Bighorn | 28. kan 2020

There’s also low country flooding in SC from Bertha.

WW_spb | 28. kan 2020

Thanks. Wha

WW_spb | 28. kan 2020

What about SoC ? Should I set it to 10 or 20% upon SC arrival (aim for). I am planning on using A Better route planner app parallel to cars suggestions.

Bighorn | 28. kan 2020

Charge for a 20% arrival estimate (car result) and expect some adjustments, mostly over the first 25 miles factoring in unknowns like wind, climate use, and actual speeds. Try to arrive with 10% or more.

hokiegir1 | 28. kan 2020

Our first few trips. we charged until the car said we'd arrive with 30%. We generally like 85+ speeds -- so, it tends to cut down faster. Now that we've got a few trips under our belts, we're a little more lax on that...but the first few trips, we wanted the larger buffer.

WW_spb | 28. kan 2020

Is this good plan?
http://imgur.com/a/iKQOa0g

Bighorn | 28. kan 2020

It’s further west than I figured, but the charging stops look reasonable and you have a few intermediate chargers as back ups.
I’m driving from NJ to FL today, but guided by unvisited chargers, so DC and Lynchburg are intermediate stops.

WW_spb | 28. kan 2020

And that is what Tesla recommends.
http://imgur.com/a/XH0g6v9

pdeputy | 28. kan 2020

Hey hokiegir1... I assume you are a VT grad. My boy goes there majoring in Architecture. Starts his second year in the fall.

hokiegir1 | 28. kan 2020

@pdeputy - Attendee, but not grad. I ended up transferring after about a year and a half. :) Congrats to him! I miss that area.

teslu3 | 28. kan 2020

HG, you got outta NJ? "Others have tried and failed. The entire population, in fact". Congrats, you broke the Long Kiss Goodnight rule! Me2. Been a long while since I lived on the East Coast, but I'd prefer the mountain route.

hokiegir1 | 28. kan 2020

LOL @ teslu3! I think other than for a wedding and/or funeral, I haven't been back in over 25 years. I've been all over the east coast since then, though. VA is still where I want to be -- and I like both sides of the state, so it's a can't lose place. I just need to get hubby there to see it. One of these days, I'll have a long enough vacation without other plans and we can drive up and I can show him all the places.

Sadly, I'm probably stuck here in GA for at least another 15 or so. I work for a company with a pension program -- so it's to my benefit to stick things out until at least early retirement age.

WW_spb | 28. kan 2020

Ha it's funny you guys hating on NJ. But to be real when I arrived to US I stayed at my Uncle's/Aunt for a month and If I never went to GA right after that I probably would never decided to live in US. Didn't like NJ at all. GA on other hand is great. Anyway it was a long time ago. I like to visit Family there and let kids play with grandparents.

Tronguy | 28. kan 2020

@hokiegir1: The SO and I got our Masters at VT. Nice place, was cool biking back and forth to the New River, a misnamed body of water if ever there was one. (Hint: It predates the Appalachians.)

pdeputy | 29. kan 2020

Ok, I'll say it.....Im from South Jersey and like it.

Earl and Nagin ... | 29. kan 2020

Baby we were born to run . . .

Bighorn | 29. kan 2020

Tons of troopers on medians on I95 in SC, but haven’t seen anyone stopped. If torrential rains, like today, are in the forecast, primary routes are more predictable.

WW_spb | 29. kan 2020

Bighorn, what do you by primary routes?

WW_spb | 29. kan 2020

Mean

Bighorn | 29. kan 2020

Well today, the contrast is between wide and straight I-95 and the backroads I drove last night and this morning between Lynchburg, VA and Florence, SC, so 29 and 74. The main issues were visibility and standing water. If the roads aren’t too slick for AP, the cameras are better than I at seeing and maintaining lane markings.

WW_spb | 29. kan 2020

Oh, I am taking only interstates and no back roads )

Bighorn | 29. kan 2020

The backroads come about from choosing out of the way superchargers along the way.

yudansha™ | 29. kan 2020

Perhaps you can make your trip a little longer and stop in Montreal to see an orthopedic surgeon.

WW_spb | 29. kan 2020

Haha Little longer huh? Tanya unless you want baby sit my kids ;)

yudansha™ | 29. kan 2020

Russian kids are probably trained like soldiers. Not much to babysit. Lol

WW_spb | 29. kan 2020

Hahha definitely well mannered but they have their bad days. Don't forget they are Americans first and Russian-Jews second.

sbeggs | 29. kan 2020

Mountain route is beautiful in late spring/summer. Curvaceous, too.

Orthopod | 30. kan 2020

Yeah come do a detour in Montreal
I offer the beer
Or vodka

Or whatever your kids drink to endure 5 other kids

WW_spb | 30. kan 2020

Thanks, for offer. I hate vodka. My poison is Single Malt Scotch.

WW_spb | 02. juni 2020

Bighorn, how is travel during unrest ? Is it still safe to travel right now? I suppose to leave this Thursday.

Bighorn | 02. juni 2020

I had no issues and was fortunate that nav routed me around the checkpoint entering Florida. Just a few hours earlier, my brother in law spent over 30 minutes clearing that hurdle on I-95, and he’s a resident. I charged in downtown DC on Thursday night to add a new supercharger, though that would be impossible with the current curfew. I did have slight trepidation the night before last when I saw that my route was going through Newark at 11 pm until I realized it was Delaware, and not New Jersey. Heading up to Maine via NY/MA today, though will avoid cities as best as possible. Headed to Wyoming later this week and was already avoiding Chicago since I’d cleared all the new chargers there.
While I saw a lot of troopers in SC on the way down, I saw none returning assuming they were otherwise occupied. There was a lot of speeding through there—90-100+ mph. Bring your mask as they are required many places here in NJ whereas they’re derided in most of the south.

WW_spb | 02. juni 2020

Thank you, Bighorn. As always you are very helpful.

Earl and Nagin ... | 02. juni 2020

I'd say the most scenic from southern VA is via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the Cape May - Lewes ferry. Does anyone know if the ferry is running these days?
You may even see Pungoteague Dave on your way through!
I-95 is probably fastest but not very pleasant.

WW_spb | 02. juni 2020

We usually come back via ferry since we chill at Cape May anyway.

Bighorn | 02. juni 2020

Ferry is running. You can’t get out of your car below deck though, so scenic is relative.

Bighorn | 02. juni 2020

Currently getting a lobster roll at Quincy’s in Cape May.

Earl and Nagin ... | 03. juni 2020

@BH,
I guess that would take some of the fun out of the trip.

Tesla2018 | 03. juni 2020

I'm planning a FL to NJ trip in a few weeks. Only used superchargers once before on a trip around Atlanta. Woman at one stop warned me not to stop in one area in Atlanta since supercharger was in a parking garage. Also heard the same thing about the one in Savannah GA.
I prefer ones that you can get to directly without hassle of going thru a parking lot attendant or gate. Are their any others to avoid on the way up if I stay on 95 the entire time. I'm thinking DC and Philly might be hard areas to find easy places to supercharge so any hints would be appreciated.

WW_spb | 04. juni 2020

On our 3rd charging in VA and so far it has been breath charging and driving on autopilot. The future is here. Tesla estimates are spot on and we manage to get even better milage.

Earl and Nagin ... | 04. juni 2020

@WW_spb,
The only times I've found Tesla estimates to be off are in precipitation, strong headwinds, and when driving excessively over the speed limit (not that I'm suggesting I've ever actually done the latter myself :-).

WW_spb | 04. juni 2020

So we almost at our final destination. It took us 5 times to charge. Out of this five charges we saw 2 total Tesla's at 2 different location. So much for you know who lies about chargers being full and waiting in lines. I drove almost all the way on the Autopilot and Autosteer. What a tremendous difference compare to ice cars I took to do same trip. I don't feel very tired and kids had fun at the stops. Over all Tesla passed the test 10 out of 10 of being electric car that is able to travel long trips without any problems. Now I can't wait for CyberTruck even more.

Pages