Forums

Tint

Tint

What tint % does the Model X come with? Debating whether I need additional tint on the front driver/passenger sides as well as the ceiling.

Roamer@AZ USA | 16. mars 2016

We added 35% to the front door Windows. That's Arizona max legal. The car looks better and if you live in a sunny place you will also feel better.

My daughter drove her new X home yesterday and the only comment was can't wait to get the windows tinted next week. But then that's Arizona.

I don't know what the factory tint is on the front side windows. Whatever it is it meets the most restricted tint laws anywhere Tesla sells cars. Probably less than 10% and about the same as every other new car on the market.

We added 20% tint to the upper windshield from the rear view mirror back on our first X. On the second we plan to tough it out until the sun shades ship. The delayed sig X that delivered yesterday didn't come with a sunshade.

omarsultan.ca.us | 16. mars 2016

The roof is pretty heavily shielded, probably more than the MS pano. CA has pretty strict VLT requirements for the front, so we are having UV blocking tint added (something like Air Blue 80), but the rest of the glass seems fine so far.

Triggerplz | 16. mars 2016

My Doctor just filled out my medical waiver for window tint from the Dept of Motor vehicles so the window tint shop will be the first place i take it followed by adding a custom console/armrest on the second row..April delivery

carlk | 16. mars 2016

Front windows and windshield tints are not allowed in CA but I will do it anyway. I don't think cops will pull me over for 75 windshield and 55 side like I did with my S. Roof is unnecessary but I will probabaly do one piece pano windshield if can be done.

carlk | 16. mars 2016

@Triggerplz

How much the doctor charged you for writting the medical waiver? Fix it ticket is only $100. Let's see who will be ahead on this.

TiburonTesla | 16. mars 2016

@Trigger - are u serious about the custom armrest? I'd be interested as well. Do you have someone in particular who can do this custom work?

@Carlk I have very good Health insurance there's no fee and no deductible/ co pay for my doctor visit plus I got my annual checkup and a shingles shot while I was there.. Annual checkup, window tint waiver form filled out and a shingles shot total cost to me $0.00.. Yes we will see who will be ahead on this...

@TiburonTesla There's a custom shop I go to in Deptford New Jersey who does excellent auto upholstery, seat piping etc.. I showed them pictures of the MX second row I have to take it there when I get the MX for the correct measurements.. They will be able to match up the leather exactly make and install the console/armrest. I won't have a price until it's measured. Sorry to everyone for going off topic

@Carlk also if you travel thru some states the fine is $250 and in a lot of states your vehicle will not pass inspection with the front windows tinted you can always have the tint removed before inspection then have it retinted at a fee

carlk | 16. mars 2016

@Triggerplz

CA only has smog check but no safety inspection like many states do. In certain sports cars I owned I almost needed to do the smog check every year. I guess they don't trust us not to do engine mods. The smog check costs time and money and even more so when you do not pass. That's another fringe benefit of owning a Tesla.

Cops won't bother you unless if the tint is so dark that they could not see inside the car. My 75/55 won't get their attention. The nice thing about PhotoSync is it does not need to be very dark to block all the heat.

Triggerplz | 17. mars 2016

@Carlk I don't know if you often travel to other states but some states the fine is $250 for a window tint violation, some states don't allow a front window tint at all no matter how light the tint is, but will honor a waiver from another state, a window tint waiver in my state is free and good for 4 years, hopefully you will never get pulled over..