Forums

Any photos with the back hatch open?

Any photos with the back hatch open?

Seeing that solid panel of glass, I wonder how the back hatch will open. Any photos from the event?

JAD | 01. april 2016

Look at some of the videos. It is a trunk, not a hatch.

TeslaTap.com | 01. april 2016

I'm not aware of any videos of the trunk opening. They did not demonstrate it at the event that I'm aware of. If you look carefully, you see the glass has a seam in the center of the roof. I suspect this is where the hatch hinge is. The trunk lid by itself looks too small to make a usable trunk.

huy.nguyen.d | 01. april 2016

Watch the first video they ask to open the trunk.

http://bgr.com/2016/04/01/tesla-model-3-first-ride-videos/

hateToShift | 01. april 2016

Good call huy.nguyen.d. First video at 3:30 in, they open the trunk. Definitely not a hatch

KP in NPT | 01. april 2016

Tesla guy also said something about it not being finalized - that in the end it would be bigger.

Tropopause | 01. april 2016

Simplicity and cost-effective. Also a single monitor screen will allow for lower maintenance.

skygraff | 01. april 2016

I think he was just saying there was some prototype equipment in the trunk (probably covered with carpet material) so the cargo space would increase not the trunk opening.

CraigW | 01. april 2016

IMO, if you need a larger trunk opening, you are going to have to wait for the SUV Model 3 - probably a year or so after the sedan starts shipping.

damonmath | 01. april 2016

@huy.nguyen.d - Thank you!

JeffreyR | 01. april 2016

See some pictures I posted in my M≡ Unveiled Post. Thanks @huy.nguyen.d for the pointer.

Pictures include top/back glass roof, manual recessed door handles, and trunk.

phensler | 01. april 2016

So if it is not a hatchback how does one get an eight foot surf board into it?

JeffreyR | 01. april 2016

@phensler, Elon said a 7-foot surf board, and the back seats will fold down.

matt | 02. april 2016

Here is an animated GIF of the trunk opening.

Source: Tesla Motors Club YouTube channel https://youtu.be/16SWVS56aZU?t=3m28s