Forums

What did Elon really mean with this tweet?

What did Elon really mean with this tweet?

Elon tweeted last night "Thanks for tuning in to the Model 3 unveil Part 1! Part 2 is super next level, but that's for later...' Any idea what he is referring to as Part 2?

HWF | 01. april 2016

He'll probably introduce the battery options, and possibly performance options.

JAD | 01. april 2016

April fools? The car really only has a range of 80 miles and looks like a Miria? At least that is what big oil and auto dealers are hoping...

BoRidge | 01. april 2016

It was reported early on that the Tesla 3 "reveal" would be in two parts, one on 3/31 and one much closer to production with more detailed information regarding car and options.

pepsundar | 01. april 2016

@JAD - april fools? that he did at the beginning of the event announcing 'actually we don't have the car to show you tonight'!!! :-)

jordanrichard | 01. april 2016

Perhaps Part 2 will be the performance version along with the CUV version. Better yet, a convertible, if they can get the aerodynamics right.

Bighorn | 01. april 2016

Lots of details yet to be determined to be revealed closer to production time.

KP in NPT | 01. april 2016

+1 tbarteau - he tweeted before the unveil that there would be a part 2 that would "take it to the next level" - That is the reason so many details (battery sizes, specific features besides AP, etc) were left out.

"Next Level" though - hoping it's something really new and exciting that will end up in all models.

KP in NPT | 01. april 2016

+1 tbarteau - he tweeted before the unveil that there would be a part 2 that would "take it to the next level" - That is the reason so many details (battery sizes, specific features besides AP, etc) were left out.

"Next Level" though - hoping it's something really new and exciting that will end up in all models.

Haggy | 01. april 2016

I think he means that it will have an air suspension option and you will be able to raise the car to the next level.

JeffreyR | 01. april 2016

@tbarteau, @mp1156 +1 "he tweeted before the unveil that there would be a part 2 that would "take it to the next level" - That is the reason so many details (battery sizes, specific features besides AP, etc) were left out."

Agreed. Once they have final designs and costs, they can give out more details. He mentioned a couple times that he wanted to keep some details back, and the tweet just reinforced that. He knows what he wants to happen for the BP and range and safety. Now that they have an alpha design, they can refine and test. With good luck the Gigafactory will produce some amazing batteries/packs.

bb0tin | 02. april 2016

I am going for fully autonomous hardware. The necessary hardware is already available from suppliers and is not that expensive. Tesla can install the hardware before the software is ready, just as they did for autopilot. Tesla is likely to be the first manufacturer to have a fully autonomous vehicle for sale.

richardmgoldsmith | 02. april 2016

There's plenty of time to trickle feed announcements of options and design refinement and details between now and first deliveries so he will need to do more than 2parts I suspect to keep impatience at bay.

Madatgascar | 02. april 2016

Whatever it is, I'll bet it's a game changer. Either (A) the tech is not quite ready yet, or (B) he doesn't want to show all the cards because it would give the competition time to catch up. Fully autonomous capability is a good bet.

RFloyd | 04. april 2016

After Elon's spaceship tweet, I'm fully expecting part 2 to be a HUD like Mishor ShadowBox, only way better!! Which should expand autonomy as well.

carlk | 04. april 2016

It will have helmet mounted display system.

jordanrichard | 04. april 2016

Yes and they will call the nav system "Mr. Radar"..... :-)

casun | 04. april 2016

it was a spelling error, which is common on twitter. he meant to say supra next level, which is one level above the next level, whichever one that is.

inconel | 04. april 2016

Yes HUD is a good guess, and something about the steering wheel that makes it like a spaceship. And the PD model will be A LOT faster. And maybe an announcement about the Y as well.

Ross1 | 05. april 2016

I am rooting for a holographic display

jdanielp_uk | 05. april 2016

The audio in Model S (and X?) already goes to 11 - maybe Tesla's R&D team have developed 12 for Model 3?