Forums

Who's getting Uber's money? Tesla or Chevy?

Who's getting Uber's money? Tesla or Chevy?

Just in case you didn't know, Uber is bigger than Tesla financially and the founder has eveb bigger and bolder dreams than Elon. Their eventual goal is to end car ownership and transfer the world into a big ride sharing program. The goal is noble considering the sustainability of keeping cars driving on the road almost 24/7. Most cars are used like what? 5% of the time? Car production is a resource eating industry, tons of water, petroleum products, and non-renewable metals.

So, Uber has plans to buy hundreds of thousands of fully autonomous cars as soon as they are affordable and legal. That is the first step, eventually Ubering will be cheaper than owning a vehicle.

The question is, ignoring the looks and driving dynamics which are mostly irrelevant for cab customers, is the Chevy Bolt a better uber car than the Tesla Model 3? Why would Uber choose one over the other? Let me know what you think.

jamilworm | 06. april 2016

Are you talking about a theoretical autonomous Bolt vs a theoretical autonomous M3? As it stands, assuming Uber could handle the software, there would be much less retrofitting required to make the M3 autonomous considering all of the sensors already on it for the AutoPilot. Admittedly I don't know how well equipped the bolt is but I would be surprised if it surpassed the M3.

Al1 | 06. april 2016

Uber has first mover advantage for sure. I don't believe however their advantage is sustainable. In the world of driver less cars you need ability to operate, service and charge your fleet cheap. I am not sure Uber has any of that.

Also as soon as fully autonomous cars are affordable and legal Uber will not be the only one who may want to buy them. Any car sharing service, any taxi service, any municipality may want to buy them too.

V.travis | 07. april 2016

Also, something to consider is: why would Tesla, Nissan, or Chevy sell that many/any cars to Uber? Who has the more difficult technology and engineering to reproduce? I think it's safe to say the people manufacturing the most advanced automobiles on the planet and spending billions in R&D could way more easily reproduce Uber's fairly awful ridesharing/ride finding software.. I mean to say if/when that market opens (legally) it doesn't make sense that Tesla's board would just say: "oh here you go Uber, please give us a few 1 or 2 billion dollars, but feel free to use our decades of learning curve and our 10's of billions of dollars on R&D and elbow grease to make your own 10's of billions of dollars on a platform that cost a few million dollars in software development...

jamilworm | 07. april 2016

The car companies would be happy to sell cars to Uber because that is a ton of sales without doing any extra work. They want to sell their cars. Arguably if production is very constricted for Tesla it could make sense for them to prioritize private individuals over UBER to grow the brand, but any establish manufacturer would jump on the opportunity to sell a fleet of vehicles. That's like saying Ford wouldn't sell trucks to U-Haul because they would just create their own truck rental service instead. No, companies like to stick to what they know. Tesla, Nissan and Chevy will be car manufacturers, they aren't going to double as ride sharing organizers.

Tropopause | 07. april 2016

I don't even like sharing my assigned airline seat with the thousands of people who have used it before me. Yuck!!!