Forums

7 Tesla Models

7 Tesla Models

When questioned about how many differant models Tesla would eventually offer, I believe I heard a year or two ago that Elon had mentioned that he thought perhaps looking long term, 7 models was a good number of differant models offered.
Let's use 7 for differant models.
My bet is :
1. Roadster - high end sports car
2. Model S - high end sedan
3. Model X - high end SUV
4. Model 3 - high volume small sedan
5. Model 3x - high volume small SUV
6. Model T - mid level truck
7. Model 7x - high volume large SUV
How's the list look?

What is your best guess?

bb0tin | 05. juni 2016

I would add a car priced well below the Model 3

Drdpharris | 06. juni 2016

Your 3x is generally considered to be the Y. There is to be a Roadster 'refresh'.

UnshodBob | 06. juni 2016

I'd say Ford will not allow Model T, but Model P for a Tesla pick-up should be ok.

Hi_Tech | 07. juni 2016

Fairly decent list. I think the #7 model (you have large SUV) may not occur. Instead, I agree with @bb0tin - entry level vehicle (super cheap 4-5 passenger hatchback or something like that).

Hi_Tech | 07. juni 2016

These are definitely going to be awesome (especially as they keep doing refreshes to the original models). I'm also looking at the next couple: electric boat and electric plane. *silly-grin*

Okay, so those may be about 10-15 years out.

Hi_Tech | 07. juni 2016

BTW, Model 3 and 3x/Y are not "small" sedan and SUV. They are just smaller. Still going to be mid-sized vehicles. Able to fit 5 large adults, etc. Don't want to give false impression that they are the "econo-box" models.

syd | 07. juni 2016

Elon said he was going to do a lower priced car than the Model 3, so that has to be one of them.

jordanrichard | 07. juni 2016

syd, what Elon was talking about is that ultimately they will build a cheaper model. A CUV version of the M≡ would certainly not be cheaper.

David N | 07. juni 2016

Hmm,
#7...........A bare bones inexpensive car or a full size (less expensive than X) 3 row SUV to cover the Honda Pilot, Highlander size market but will also cover the entire minivan market for average families?
Oh geeze, might have to do both.
If Elon can pull off this Model 3 on time( or at least close) and get rave reviews ( including build quality) then I think interest ( and demand) will explode . We'll know in about 18 months( wow, that sounds so near compared to the "years" that others have waited)

bb0tin | 08. juni 2016

@David N
Interest will explode anyway for many reasons
https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/will-elon-announce-new-secre...

UnshodBob | 17. juni 2016

@bb0tin - broken link to the secret plan or whatever. Did you delete it?

carlgo2 | 17. juni 2016

Let's look at this in terms of basic chassis designs and then see what would make sense to be built upon them.

1. The S/X chassis: The S , the X and perhaps a more conventional X. Also, a lightish duty pickup and van.

2. The Model 3 chassis: We will have the 3 and the Y SUV and perhaps a Roadster-like sports car. Possibly a "Eurovan" as that seems to be a big market.

3. Heavy duty truck chassis: for that big pickup, a Tesla Suburban and perhaps a large van.

4. Super Car chassis: for the big Tesla flagship world's fastest car sort of thing, but also suitable for a Tesla Mustang Cobra class of car.

5. Mini car chassis: eventually there will be cheap little city cars suitable for the urban dweller, students, other countries and Uber. My guess is that Apple will be in this market first.

So, five basic chassis could spawn a whole bunch of different vehicles.

pagrimm1 | 17. juni 2016

Someone who tries to be all things to all, will end up not pleasing anyone.

SimonR_AU | 18. juni 2016

I think there is great potential with a ute/pickup variant.
Plenty of capacity for battery storage and performance with a 2 seater that would be lightweight. For the tradies out there, add a power outlet in the back/tray (ie 10amp socket) for charging drills, run tools, play the jukebox, run spotlights, would be fantastic and open up some customer interest in how they could use it. I'm thinking along the lines of a low center of gravity, comodore style ute without the bogan huff and puff of an ice. I can see a lot of people getting such a vehicle as a workplace tax deductable item. Whereas the current range of teslas, for most, i would guess is a purely personal asset.

Red Sage ca us | 29. juni 2016

Please note that the Model ☰ will likely be classified as a Midsize car, even though its direct competitors (AUDI A4, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac ATS, Infiniti Q50, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class) are all Compact cars in the US. Also, the latest versions of Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Hyundai Elantra are all Midsize cars as well, per the EPA. It is highly unlikely that a car in the mold of a Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, or Hyundai Accent will be offered by Tesla Motors... EVER.

dansplans | 29. juni 2016

Tesla will certainly need to include a compact vehicle in future offerings. I did not say sub-compact as an EV does not ever have to become a tiny little box to compete. Tiny cars are that small to get decent gas mileage at an acceptable overall weight.

The beauty of the Tesla brand is that they will never need to offer a discount branded product. Premium products are widely accepted and coveted around the world. When Tesla is able to offer a quality sub $20K vehicle to the masses, it will be a huge success. Apple and their partners can have the super discount sub $15k market, as most will opt for the "superior" Tesla brand at a still very reasonable cost.

bb0tin | 30. juni 2016

@dansplans
You said "Apple and their partners can have the super discount sub $15k market"
Since when has apple offered any product in the super discount market?

bryan.schmidty | 30. juni 2016

Maybe the model that will be cheaper than the Model 3 will be a motorcycle? Radically different platform design, but it could work.

ram1901 | 30. juni 2016

Your #7 should be a modified Model X with fold down second row seats, no giant windshield, a normal roof that allows for roof rack and sliding side doors or normal passenger doors for second row entry. I'd call it the Volvo XC90 killer.
Oh it would also be lighter and have a larger battery for more range, even during towing.
All fixed...

jonathanpq21 | 30. juni 2016

I think there definitely will be a $20k-$25k car, akin to what the Prius is in the current market. They might just redesign the Model 3 or create different versions.

Red Sage ca us | 06. juli 2016

The point is that people of 'average and below income' do not buy NEW cars. They buy used. The used car market is effectively killing the sub-$15,000 market already. It will soon do the same to the sub-$20,000 market.

I sincerely doubt Tesla Motors will ever offer a vehicle to be purchased new at a base price significantly below $25,000. Maybe something will be $24,990... while something else is 'only' $24,995...? It would be incredibly irresponsible, even if not impossible, to offer new cars at less than $20,000 each when the time comes that these cars start at around $25,000 or more:

$18,640_-_2016 Honda Civic [ MSRP excluding tax, license, registration, $835.00 destination charge and options. Dealer prices may vary. ]

$17,300_-_2016 Toyota Corolla [ Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, excludes the Delivery, Processing and Handling fee of $835 for cars. Excludes taxes, license, title, and available or regionally required equipment. Actual dealer price may vary. ]

$18,515_-_2016 Ford Focus Sedan [ Starting MSRP excludes destination/delivery charge, taxes, title and registration. Optional equipment not included. ]

$17,250_-_2016 Hyundai Elantra [ MSRP excludes destination charges, tax, title, and license fees. Destination charges and actual dealer prices may vary. ]

$18,495_-_2016 Volkswagen Golf [ Prices exclude transportation, taxes, title, other options, and dealer charges. Dealer sets actual price. ]

Even if these cars only go up in price by an average of $500 per year, they will all be well over $20,000 before 2025. It is unlikely, unreasonable, and ill-advised for Tesla Motors to work toward offering a sub-$20,000 vehicle for sale as new within the next 5-to-10 years. If they can do so in a profitable manner before that period is up anyway? Cool. Git 'er done.

But please, pretty please, with sugar on top -- don't tell me that 'cheap' cars sell well. Because they don't. For most marques that offer a car for a base price under $15,000 in the US, they are unable to crack the top 30 in annual sales among passenger cars. I think the Nissan Versa was the only 'cheap' car to make the mark during 2015, as it came in at #17. The Mazda 2 came in at #147 and was outsold 2:1 by the Alfa Romeo 4C, which came in at #144 that year. The BMW 3-Series, in a bad year thanks to sales of 4-Series Coupes & Gran Coupes being counted separately, still came in at #25, and outsold the Mazda 2 by 318:1. Yes. You read that correctly: Three Hundred Eighteen to One. The car that came in at #100 was the Scion iA, which just happens to be a Mazda 2 under the skin. That was outsold by the BMW 3-Series at 12:1.

Once again... The ONLY 'cheap' car that wasn't outsold by the BMW 3-Series in 2015 was the Nissan Versa. Who do you know that looks forward to buying a car that is the baby Brother to a Sentra, Focus, Civic, or Corolla? There is no 'super discount sub $15k market' for anyone to take advantage of at all. That said, if the Tesla Model S 85 could have been sold profitably and in large quantities at $25,000 each, I'm sure Elon Musk would have been just fine with that.

It is unfair and unreasonable to expect Tesla Motors to offer an exact analog for every single vehicle type that exists under the sun. It is unlikely that such expectations will ever be fulfilled. Look at the sales charts and determine what the most popular vehicle types are in the US, and which of those are growing in popularity. That should provide some indication of what their future product line offerings will look like.

bryan.schmidty: Electric motorcycles are well covered by other manufacturers. There is no need for Tesla Motors to enter that market. Besides, motorcycles are considered inherently unsafe. Tesla Motors exists to prove that electric vehicles can be safe to operate, even more so than their ICE counterparts, as a primary tenet of their philosophy. No way to prove that with a motorcycle.

dansplans | 06. juli 2016

@Red Sage ca us - I strongly disagree with much of what you said. However, I would defend to the death your right to speak your mind.

bb0tin | 06. juli 2016

@Red Sage ca us
You said "people of 'average and below income' do not buy NEW car"
Really? Rubbish.
I will show you mine, now you show me yours.
http://www.bls DOT gov/cex/anthology/csxanth8.pdf

mary.murray102 | 07. juli 2016

As fuel prices have risen, many people have grown interested in alternative sources of energy, such as solar energy for home use. LA Solar Group is one of the fastest growing solar companies in the country which commits to the best prices possible.So let’s go green with solar panel!!!l

mary.murray102 | 07. juli 2016
ninkrote | 07. juli 2016

It may be lumped in with the Model 3 but a convertible version would be great! Call it the 3C?

Rocky_H | 07. juli 2016

@Red Sage, Hey Red, I found this link that someone posted above in this section:

@Red Sage ca us
You said "people of 'average and below income' do not buy NEW car"
Really? Rubbish.
I will show you mine, now you show me yours.
http://www.bls DOT gov/cex/anthology/csxanth8.pdf

I looked at the report, and it is from the year 2000, so really dated. Anyway, here is what it stated in the conclusions section.

"The 1999–2000 CE Survey data on ve-
hicle acquisition indicates that, over-
all, purchasing used vehicles is the
most common method of acquiring a
vehicle. This is because it is typically
less expensive to purchase a used ve-
hicle than it is to buy a new vehicle or
lease a vehicle. "

David N | 07. juli 2016

ram1901 +1
I totally agree with you.
Large SUV would cover a lot of demand:
1. Young Patents w children that would otherwise buy a minivan.
2. Grandparents who would normally look to a SUV or a mini van for when they have the grandkids with all those car seats.
2. Outdoors people who currently purchase SUV's, yes, they want roof mounted racks, tow hitch, fold down seats(all rows), AWD.
3. Those who prefer to sit a bit higher, especially as we get older, it makes ingress and egress so much easier.
4. Those in colder areas of the country that need the slightly higher clearance for snow, and AWD.
I've said all along, I'll take a Model X all the above mentioned features.
I don't need nor want auto open/close doors, all glass roof, falcon wing doors, bio filtration, mono -track space age 2nd row seats etc.....
Ah, hopefully all in due time.

bb0tin | 07. juli 2016

@Rocky_H
You said "and it is from the year 2000"
You think the same is not true now?

You said "purchasing used vehicles is the most common method of acquiring a vehicle."
So what? That statement applies to all car purchases, not just low income.
Have a look at table 1.
About 15% of the lowest 20% of the population buy new, 20% of the 20%-40%, and 20% of the average income.
Abut 25% of the 60%-80% buy new, and about 35% of the upper 20%.
That means that the most common method of the upper 20% by income is to buy second hand.
It also shows that about 15%-20% of low to average income buy new.

The data emphatically shows that the statement "people of 'average and below income' do not buy NEW car" is false.

Rocky_H | 07. juli 2016

@Red, Would you like to step in and handle this, where you explain the common sense of how 15% or 25% of people doing something means that they are generally NOT doing it?

bb0tin | 07. juli 2016

@Rocky_H
55% of car purchases by the top 20% of the population, by income, are not new cars.
If you think that:
"people of 'average and below income' do not buy NEW car" is true then you should also think that:
"people of 'above average income' do not buy NEW car"

If you think that 15%-20% of purchases by average and below income are new cars, means that they do not buy new cars, then there is no hope for you.
How about I take 15%-20% of your income since it is NONE of your income.

Rocky_H | 07. juli 2016

You seriously have no concept of a generalization? How do you function in life? And you think there is no hope for ME?

Rocky_H | 07. juli 2016

Oh yeah, that's right. This also gets back to where tire rolling resistance is not generally dependent on speed and the equations all ignore it because it's negligible, but since you had this suspicion that it wasn't absolutely 0 dependence, you held that up as victory and that the rest of the world was wrong.

bb0tin | 07. juli 2016

@Rocky_H
The average and below buyers purchase new cars at 10% less of total purchases than the top 20% of buyers.
That means that the statement "people of 'average and below income' do not buy NEW car" is patently wrong. And if you believe that it is indeed correct, then the same 'generalisation' applies to the top income earners as well.

Regarding the 10mph faster is the same as a 10mph headwind thread, the rest of the knowledgeable people in the world agree with me, including the Tesla chart that was produced. The fact that you, and various other posters, are incapable of understanding simple math is the real problem. You have demonstrated the same inability once again. The most ignorant are the loudest because they don't realise how ignorant and wrong they are.

Ross1 | 08. juli 2016

It is always the poor people who smoke, drink, have iPhones, etc but it is me who has to pay for the common fence. Perhaps it is the poor who buy the new cars.
Actually, rental cars, governments and business are the main new car buyers.

Rocky_H | 08. juli 2016

" the rest of the knowledgeable people in the world agree with me"

...except for the actual equations.

bb0tin | 08. juli 2016

@Rocky_H
I provided equations.
You provided nothing but your ignorance.
You continue to do so.

warren_tran | 08. juli 2016

Do you think Tesla would release a Truck version by 2020?

David N | 08. juli 2016

you think Tesla would release a Truck version by 2020
...............no

Rocky_H | 11. juli 2016

@bb0tin, Heh, uh no. Plenty of people showed you the rolling resistance equation: F = cW, which shows that the rolling resistance comes from a constant coefficient of the materials and the weight of the vehicle. Speed of the vehicle is not included, yet you still continue to claim that it scales with speed. You are straight-up arguing with the equation, and it's still rather funny.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/rolling-friction-resistance-d_1303.html

Hi_Tech | 11. juli 2016

@warrentt - I'm hoping for the SUV (mid-sized) as the next revealed version. Hopefully prototype by end of 2017.
Which could mean a truck prototype by 2020.

Remnant | 13. juli 2016

@ David N (OP, June 5, 2016)

<< How's the list look? >>

So, where's my 200 kWh, Quad Motor, AWD, All Terrain, Family SUV, MY? Huh?

I was expecting it for 2019. What's going on?