Forums

Bring Engine Sounds to Tesla

Bring Engine Sounds to Tesla

It would be great to see a feature that can simulate engine sounds in a Tesla with different modes like "Super Car Mode","Muscle Car Mode", "Tuner Mode" and so on.
I think its essential because we are used to these sounds and it would make it easier for people to adapt to electric cars (despite the quiteness being more peaceful).
I think there are quite a lot of people (including me) who just love the note of an Engine Sound.

It would also make Teslas more Awesome !!!

lilbean | 27. august 2016
RedShift | 27. august 2016

Oh, for heaven's sake go buy a muscle car if you miss the sounds.

SO | 27. august 2016

lilbean +1

Syedsamsam - Hopefully you just mean the noise in the cabin through the speakers. I certainly don't want it. But to each their own. How would the engine noise sound since there is no shifting in a Tesla! It is just a smooth acceleration.

Ross1 | 27. august 2016

I feel an immense sadness for people making engine sounds.

RIP engine sounds.

The muffler was the greatest invention in automotive history.

David N | 27. august 2016

Silence is golden

fgaliegue | 27. august 2016

No thanks.

Enough said.

sklancha | 27. august 2016

Maybe there is an after market opportunity here. We can ask Evander to create a ICE simulator package. The luxury package can include an exhaust smelling air unfreshener, an app that makes loud and obnoxious car sounds through the speaker, that adjust to the way you are driving. Can pick diesel or gas fume smells; and any car sound you wanr. Not loud enough? Choose (no muffler mode.

Evannex

Silver2K | 27. august 2016

"RedShift | August 27, 2016
Oh, for heaven's sake go buy a muscle car if you miss the sounds"

I already have a muscle car, a p85+ :-). I make sounds with my evil laugh after schooling :-)

RedShift | 27. august 2016

@silver

You have a Superman car! Superman doesn't shout!

DTsea | 27. august 2016

How about whinny sounds

Sled dogs

Oxen

No thank you to engine NOISE. It isnt music
It is an irritant.

JayInJapan | 27. august 2016

No!

dkenta | 27. august 2016

Bad idea

If you puff you lips out and exhale through your mouth, you can make your own engine sound :)

Haha!

Remnant | 27. august 2016

@ Syedsamsam (OP, August 27, 2016)

<< Bring Engine Sounds to Tesla ... It would be great to see a feature that can simulate engine sounds in a Tesla with different modes like "Super Car Mode","Muscle Car Mode", "Tuner Mode" and so on.>>

There is something obscenely offensive behind such efforts, of promoting and lionizing the nostalgia for the very features we are trying to defeat in the overgrown vestiges of the ICE world, while, instead, we should celebrate its demise and cultivate the trend towards the silent and clean future of survivable transportation.

Well said, @remnant.

compchat | 28. august 2016

Do you own a Tesla ? Have you ever driven one ? Who needs those fake noises. Buy a corvette if you want loud.

sklancha | 28. august 2016

There really is an app out there for people who would rather listen to engine sounds. It is called XLR8, I beleve. It's actually kind of fun to play with, but most entertaining if used with a weak compliance-mobile. Something that just makes you smile when your in a vehicle that has a 0-60 time of 15 seconds, but your ears hear the roaring response of a supercar. It is like the polar opposite of the Tesla effect-, which FEELS like you just took off in a supercar, but sounds like you took off on a ten speed bicycle.

Bighorn | 28. august 2016

My ten speed has baseball cards in the spokes.

mntlvr23 | 28. august 2016

Tesla should not pump out engine sounds while their vehicles cruise down the road for the same reason that dentist offices do not pump out sounds of shrieking pain while they perform tooth extractions.

Things become obsolete for a reason.

SbMD | 28. august 2016

Open your window and yell "VROOOOM VROOOOM" if you want your Tesla to make ICE sounds. It is equivalent in substance to the notion that Tesla should create "cool" engine sounds, IMO.

Translated: bad idea

Silver2K | 28. august 2016

have you tried a VROOMING mp3 file on a constant loop?

@bigh

try attaching a card to stick, then clamp stick to caliper reaching out to the turbines. trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bighorn | 28. august 2016

@silver
Baseball cards on a Tesla would rock:)

SbMD | 28. august 2016

If it were Straubel recorded making "VROOM" sounds for an MP3, then that would be very cool.

Will have to see if my Elon trading cards might work attached to the calipers!

:-)

NKYTA | 28. august 2016

Just, no.

@SbMD- That is exactly what we do, when the need for sound is there! My daugjter and I were at a stoplight in Tampa not that long ago, and some young chaps in a BMW were revving there engine next to us, to get our attention. When I looked iver, both the back and front passenger side windows rolled down. The kid in the back took some pics. Guy in the front just asked of I liked it. Driver revved his engine again, and in unison, we responded with "vroom VROOM!" No racing (they were in the turn lane).

SbMD | 28. august 2016

@sklancha - Please post you and your daughter's VROOM for download and immediate use!
:-)

@SbMD- That is exactly what we do, when the need for sound is there! My daugjter and I were at a stoplight in Tampa not that long ago, and some young chaps in a BMW were revving there engine next to us, to get our attention. When I looked iver, both the back and front passenger side windows rolled down. The kid in the back took some pics. Guy in the front just asked of I liked it. Driver revved his engine again, and in unison, we responded with "vroom VROOM!" No racing (they were in the turn lane).

SO | 28. august 2016

When I think of loud vehicles making unnecessary noise, I think of this clip.

http://www.youtube dot com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4&sns=em

(Warning: don't watch if easily offended or take things the wrong way.)

radtel | 28. august 2016

What about an outside speaker that could play some type of ICE noise. So, when you are driving with pedestians around, they'll know that you are there (especially parking lots). I hate using the horn but some people never look behind themselves.

SO | 28. august 2016

@radtel - so for the couple times per week you "might" want to warn a pedestrian, we should have ICE noises on the external speaker? No thanks.

Tesla-David | 28. august 2016

Agree with others, NO, bad idea, three+ years of silence works for me.

Ross1 | 28. august 2016

What about a horse racing sound track?

Dwdnjck@ca | 28. august 2016

Now that Tesla has proven that it can outperform all productions cars, let ICE cars be relegated to their place in history....noisemakers, mostly driven for sentimental reasons.

Red Sage ca us | 28. august 2016

It is gonna be so weird when the Camaro and Mustang are fully electric some day and there is an aftermarket electronic thunder muffler system that can be added to them for the sake of nostalgia and stuff.

carlgo2 | 28. august 2016

How about a really ominous exaggerated electric motor sound? I would go for that it it was selectable and projected outside.

Silver2K | 28. august 2016

I was thinking from now on, I'll leave the windows open so when I fart, it will sound like everyone else's car.

Ross1 | 28. august 2016

Carlgo:
Like a washing machine?

Red Sage ca us | 28. august 2016

I can roll down the windows and blast DEF LEPPARD... Or the sound effect for The Jetson's flying car... meenie-meenie-meenie-meenie-meenie...

carlk | 28. august 2016

Every beat of the engine sound represents dumping of several hundred cubic centimeters of poisonous gas into the atomosphere. I'd rather that I will never hear that again ever in my life.

jordanrichard | 29. august 2016

I got it!! The instant you push the accelerator, an outside speaker would say "ba, bye".

Silver2K | 29. august 2016

Red Sage ca us

Rocket?

dsvick | 29. august 2016

The sound of two halves of a coconut being banged together ....

Ross1 | 29. august 2016

Could we have the sound feature on the forum? And Skype too.

lilbean | 30. august 2016

I learned about this sound from a similar thread previously on the forum:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXEDUVkbt8

ivan.albreht | 30. august 2016

@Syedsamsam on August 27, 2016

Bringing engine sounds to Tesla - totally nonsense

sp_tesla | 30. august 2016

Making it an option will definitely appeal to many muscle cars customers.

leskchan | 30. august 2016

@sp_tesla

1. Tesla EV is exactly anti-ICE, so making act like one is contrary to its model.
2. Tesla has enough reservation now, plus prospective customers in China and South Korea to serve first. They have more demand than the can meet in near term, so appealing to muscle car customers I would think would be at the bottom of the marketing list. Same with offering 20 cup holders to market to minivan customers.

Silver2K | 30. august 2016

I believe in the US, congress is working on a bill that will require manufacturer to have some external sound on electric vehicles sold in the US. I heard about this 2 years ago and nothing since.

Pages