Forums

IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME TO INVEST IN MORE TSLA STOCK

IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME TO INVEST IN MORE TSLA STOCK

Title says it all

Mathew98 | 01. september 2016

What does a fire with SpaceX rocket test has to do with TSLA stock?

Classic shorts manipulation.

rxlawdude | 01. september 2016

More to do with the capital raise needed for the SCTY merger.

KP in NPT | 01. september 2016

Stock price has been sliding for a few days. down 10 as of this moment today. If you're looking for a "good" price then yes, could be a good time.

Mathew98 | 01. september 2016

The needs for capital raise for SCTY has been known for over a month. Shorts are betting everything against Musk right now.

It just means that the short covering after Q3 numbers release will be that much higher.

Bighorn | 01. september 2016

Got in again

TPilot | 01. september 2016

A $400mm scty valuation mistake didn't help.

Tpilot
Except it worked in TSLA's favor

Pleasanton_Ca | 01. september 2016

I just picked up some more @ 201.09...

222 | 01. september 2016

Me too.... 200.89

Bighorn

SCTY is worth less than initially valued. But I thought TSLAs purchase price was locked in. So essential they're paying for a company that's worth $400mm less than they thought.

timpearson26076 | 01. september 2016

Just bought my first batch at 200.99. Always thought it is vastly overvalued. Probably still so since the lack of profits although I love my s and ordered a 3. I do believe its the future and if Elon can carry out half his ambitions, it could rise over the years.

carlk | 01. september 2016

Timing the market is usually a wasted effort. That said it is a good strategy to buy on dip when you plan to acqauire a good stock for long term investment purpose. Like many said TSLA is stock you buy if you believe the company will be one of the biggest auto/tech/energy company on the planet by 2025 and beyond.

@TPilot
I think you've got it backward. Tesla got a discount of $400M
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/solarcity-advisor-lazard

200.79 here

SO | 01. september 2016

Yes, TSLA got a discount. But there is a chance the SCTY shareholders will expect a higher price and potentially sue to get it.

A few years ago when another company was undervalued by 100 mm, the shareholders sued to get a higher price. So this may mean TSLA would have to pay more and raise more.

sp_tesla | 01. september 2016

$200 a good price, waiting for announcement of utilizing supply chain for parts so they can be focus on core competency.

TaoJones | 01. september 2016

*twitch*

Thanks @bighorn...I thought today was Opposite Day.

barrykmd | 01. september 2016

I'm waiting for $100. I expect it to happen when the M3 delay is announced the middle of next year, followed by bad press due inadequate expansion of infrastructure for delivery and service (not to mention rivets still on back-order).

sp_tesla | 01. september 2016

barrykmd | September 1, 2016

I doubt it will go much below $150.

You waiting for $100 so you can cover?

222 | 01. september 2016

below $170-180 seems unreasonable.

I'm not an expert by even the most basic benchmarks, but everyone seems to think TSLA is not a conventional stock with conventional trends...... there are too many of us out there who think that the company is on the verge of exponential growth and a market game-changer and will ignore current financials and bet on future earnings......

I last bought at ~$170 and sold at $260. I think Buying at 170-200 and playing the long game seems reasonable.

acegreat1 | 01. september 2016

I missed out today, but if it drops anywhere south of 200 I'll be all over it

+1 bighorn
+1 222

rxlawdude | 01. september 2016

@barry, you'll be waiting for $100 longer than you waited for rivets. Unless TSLA splits 2:1.

Tpilot - No. I've never owned TSLA, long or short.

Except SCTY tanked and has a book value of 1.89B now, so even with the accounting error, nobody is getting screwed. Buying SCTY shares currently at $18 gets you a 15% arbitrage discount on the current TSLA price if the deal goes through. That must be weighing on the TSLA price as well, but is a temporary situation.

@Barrykmd, you may want to start. Sooner than later

222 | 01. september 2016

I was waiting for SCTY to drop to 15-18.... but now you guys have me thinking......

barrykmd Don't you have fomo? Come on man drink the KoolAid! Where's silver?

I had to look up fomo :-)

I missed out when it was at $30. Otherwise, by investments are doing well, thank you.

Barry you sound like an accountant. Sorry I mean a retired accountant :-) You doing better than 6% last three years?

$150 is the bottom. It will not go any lower than that. Many companies from Google, Apple, Uber to VW, GM would be very interested to snatch up Tesla for $20B. Google was going to buy Tesla in early 13' for $8B when it has shipped only a few thousand cars and there were no gigafactory, energy storage or autonomous technology.

Dr. Toonhattan | 01. september 2016

Any advice on how to buy US shares, specifically TSLA from the UK? Is there a premium I'd have to pay to buy share's from another country's stock market? And what's the best organisation to use, bank, stockbroker, etc?

One evidence of Tesla's worth is Uber's CEO Kalanick once said if Tesla can make 500,000 self driving cars in 2020 he's going to buy them all. That's about $20B worth of cars there already. Uber can not afford to have Google or Tesla to have self driving shared mobility cars to come out first to totally wipe away its business model. Uber now have to invest in self driving cars itself because it looksTesla is more interested in going into the business itself than just to sell cars.

@Dr. Toonhattan

You can check if there is bank issued Global Depository Receipt (GDR) of Tesla listed on London exchange. That can be traded just like Tesla stock. Or check your local brokerage firms if they have global accounts that will allow you to trade foreign stocks.

jose.t.weeks | 02. september 2016

It has more to go, the deal with Solar City was a turd from the beginning. Tesla is taking too much risk and debt and the banks aren't having it. I might buy below $180

AlMc | 02. september 2016

I am totally against the TIMING of the buying of SCTY. TM is overpaying for it IMO. They are paying dollars for it now when they could get it for pennies in a couple months.
TM should concentrate on completing the initial mission statement and get the model 3 out, on time, and in numbers.

Having said that 'it is what it is'

The arbitrage that exists now has me buying TSLA at $170 vis-a-vis buying SCTY for $18.50, which I did yesterday.. This arbitrage is saying that WS believes that after the purchase and stock dilution TSLA will have an SP of $170. WS can be wrong but the big boys would not let the little retail investors (us) have this type of discount without firmly believing that TM is paying way more for SCTY than it is worth.

Silver2K | 02. september 2016

TPilot

Sorry relegated to mobile device cant do photos while desktop trying to recover data for clients dead drive.

IMO and I'm no stock guy at all! I believe TSLA is going to soar big time when secret plan phase 2 is complete whether this move is smart for TSLA or not.

TPilot | 02. september 2016

DrT I would think any decent uk broker can purchase your tsla. Barclays, TD, Interactive to name a few

barrykmd | 02. september 2016

Tpilot - no not an accountant, a physician (retired). However, my undergrad degree was in engineering, and if I had to do it over again today, I'd probably be a quant :-) I've averaged 7-10% each year over the last few years (realized gains), mostly from options trading.

222 | 02. september 2016

I would have thought the handle would have given it away, ;)

222 | 02. september 2016

Sorry - have to type it twice ..... i guess 'greater than' and 'less than' signs are interpreted as code.....

I would have thought the (Firstname)(Second initial)(MD) handle would have given it away, ;)

barrykmd | 02. september 2016

Could have been Maryland :-)

222 | 02. september 2016

Ah.... true..... I didnt think geography! :P (geography wasnt my strongest subject in highschool)

It seems there is a skew of Airline pilots, doctors, and business people (retired and otherwise) that bought Teslas and are on this Forum site, hence my obvious bias when interpreting your handle ... :)

Haggy | 02. september 2016

I bought at 120 right after the car fires. It was before I had the car, but based on experience analyzing car fires, I felt comfortable enough that it wasn't a legitimate problem. Ever since it shot up, I've bee writing puts at 200, and had written ones for less before it shot up but after I bought my long shares. All the puts expired worthless (which is good.) . As of now, it's below that, so if the shares are put to me at 200, the effective cost will be $189, if you factor in the premium for the put. But if you factor in all the prior puts that got rolled or replaced after they expired, and consider the overall strategy, the effective cost would be far lower. Either way, if the price is above $190 on the 16th, I'll be ahead this time around. And if not, I'll be happy to take the long shares and hold them.

All those people who like to short or buy puts have been betting against me and losing. I don't like to gamble.

Ross1 | 02. september 2016

Ouch ouch and more ouch. My $265 share which are to fund my car are now 197.

Every time I take my eye off the ball my finger off the pulse the dike leaks.
Must remember: Be more diligent to stop the flow.

sp_tesla | 02. september 2016

"Haggy | September 2, 2016
I don't like to gamble."

Most married people claim that they don't gamble, Say What?

rxlawdude | 02. september 2016

@Ross, you and me are in the same boat, but I did buy a few more shares when it went into the 180s a few months ago, bringing my average cost to $230/sh. Still, I'm thinking of rinsing and repeating when the shares are cheap to lower my cost average further.

Ross1 | 02. september 2016

@rx:
I have a mental block: I say to my self, self, says I;
Would you buy in at this price, so I find it hard to sell at a loss.
Just me, but the money was hard to come by.

rxlawdude | 02. september 2016

@Ross - just be happy that at some point "soon," TSLA shares will be worth more than we paid. :-)

Pages