Forums

The Mysteries of the Model X-parts one, two, and three

The Mysteries of the Model X-parts one, two, and three

The Model X is a mystery in itself to a lot of people because even Elon is wondering why they built such a complex car. But owning the Model X reveals additional mysteries. Here is one. Open the rear hatch and look to your left inside the rear of the car. You will notice a sort of small alcove there. Note the top of the little recessed area. There is a piece of black plastic that encircles a hole in the ceiling of the little alcove. Reach into the hole with your hand and find wires there. What is the purpose this little obscure feature? Could it be a storage space and connection point for an integrated vacuum cleaner? It's a mystery.

Here's another: The X has motorized front doors. It also has auto-locking doors upon walking away from the vehicle when the doors are closed. Why then, if you walk away from the car with the driver's door left open, does it not close the door and then lock the car? It's a mystery.

With Rel.8.0 SW pulling up to a stoplight, the car in front of the car in front of me disappears. It then reappears after the light turns green and the space between the cars stretches out to at least two car lengths. This does not appear to be the case with the Model S. Is this because the radar transducer in the X is mounted higher than the one in the S? Is it because the adjustable air suspension is set too high? In either case the radar waves leaving the X that would "see" the car in front of the car in front of me appear to be blocked by the car in front of me and energy that goes downward under the car in front of me is at too steep an angle and bounces off the road back up into the bottom of the car in front of me. It's a mystery.

lilbean | 11. oktober 2016

I believe it is an access point to the charger.

Pryoritiesinc | 11. oktober 2016

Storage space for my lilbeans!!

lilbean | 11. oktober 2016

:-)

Xsighted | 12. oktober 2016

Be careful investigating the mysteries of the alcove! There are high voltage lines in that area. I suspect there is a manual release for the charge door and maybe an emergency power cutoff. But I am not about to find out on my own.

georgehawley.fl.us | 12. oktober 2016

I would think that a manual release would look like a wire sticking out with a tag on the end of it. The wires feel like communications wires or 12 volt power, definitely not 120 kW capable.

aesculus | 12. oktober 2016

The X has motorized front doors. It also has auto-locking doors upon walking away from the vehicle when the doors are closed. Why then, if you walk away from the car with the driver's door left open, does it not close the door and then lock the car? It's a mystery.

My PUP car does this.

My PUP car doesn't. It's a mystery.

A call to a Tesla Technical support failed to reveal the purpose of the hole in the back of the interior. In fact the person I spoke with didn't even know it existed.

sp_tesla | 13. oktober 2016

"In fact the person I spoke with didn't even know it existed."

Was it Pinocchio?

Remnant | 13. oktober 2016

@lilbean (October 11, 2016)

<< I believe it is an access point to the charger.>>

That certainly makes sense, although a better location for such a connection to a generator would be the frunk.

A metal-air DC generator (Tesla has a patent on one) would extend range by a few hundred miles. You would keep it on a shelf and only load it for the longer road trips you take 2-3 times a year.

madodel | 13. oktober 2016

For the driver door to auto-close you have to have the auto-presenting enabled. My Sig X (PUP standard) opens when I approach and closes when I leave, but only the driver door.

Mark Z | 16. oktober 2016

The hole is the air intake for the rear seat passenger air conditioning. If you pull the hatch/trunk carpet up, you can see the air passage tube at the floor towards the rear of the vehicle. Make sure the two tubes are connected and sealed at the center.