Forums

when will tesla cars deliver themselves to buyers home?

when will tesla cars deliver themselves to buyers home?

Someone should get Elon to estimate this time. I live in Florida but California allows driverless cars. It would be cool to have a video of the first 3s or even some S/Xs charging up with a snake charger and driving themselves from the factory to the California buyers home without any assistance.

jordanrichard | 21. oktober 2016

Actually that would be another unprecedented move. You order something on line and it delivers itself. That is both fantastic and creepy.

Elon won't/can't announce when this will be possible because until the laws are changed, driverless cars are not happening.

On that note, can you imagine the commotion/distraction it will cause on the highways/roads by a car going by with no one in it?

lilbean | 21. oktober 2016

Haha, because I want my brand new car to arrive with bugs and rock chips. :-)

David N | 21. oktober 2016

That is the goal. When will it happen?
My guess is is still years away. Elon is probably shooting 2018.
As in the video, It is certainly possible today.
But not all areas of the country has roads as well defined and marked as in the test video.
But it's coming.
It'll be interesting, I'd like to see an autonomous delivery in a snow storm, in blizzard conditions. The car would have to sense the change in driving conditions(slippery conditions). All roads covered in snow, street signs partially covered.
Obviously those conditions are not the norm, it'll be interesting to see how fast this unfolds.

Red Sage ca us | 23. oktober 2016

SOON.

vperl | 23. oktober 2016

"SOON"

(TESLA speak needs definition)

jordanrichard | 23. oktober 2016

"Elon is probably shooting 2018", has he told the legislators that........?

Al1 | 23. oktober 2016

I like the idea. Elon promised a demo of a cross country self driving car. Imagine the effect of self delivered purchases.

danielpf | 23. oktober 2016

Elon has no control on legislation...

leskchan | 23. oktober 2016

Technical,yes but business-wise no. Part of the delivery process is insepecting the car for damages etc. before signing and issue any due bills as needed. Unless it is going there is return policy like other online purchases, no thank you.

leskchan | 23. oktober 2016

Technical,yes but business-wise no. Part of the delivery process is insepecting the car for damages etc. before signing and issue any due bills as needed. Unless it is going there is return policy like other online purchases, no thank you.

jordanrichard | 24. oktober 2016

Actually taking delivery via it shows up at your door on its own is no different than having it delivered via a car transport. There is no Tesla rep, just the driver.

leskchan | 24. oktober 2016

You can ask the driver to achnowledge the damage to the bumper on paper before taking delivery.

Vawlkus | 27. oktober 2016

It'll depend on when they can guarantee clearly marked roads everywhere, and a method for a car without a driver to plug in for charge ;)

JeffreyR | 27. oktober 2016
JeffreyR | 27. oktober 2016

@lkc
Driver of delivery co. does not work for Tesla. This is something you could build into the application screen of the car. You could even link your smartphone or tablet to take photos or video showing the issue.

Wizard for Accepting Delivery
1) Are there any issues you would like to report?
No | Yes: Interior/Exterior/Drivetrain/Other
Exterior: rotate car, pinch to zoom; tap-and-hold where issue is located
Select issue type
Scratch/Dent/Paint Bubble/Other (specify)
Would you like to Upload a photo or video w/ linked device?
2) Would you like to watch welcome video now (also available at tesla.com/mytesla)
3) Anything Else?

[Call Customer Support]

You get the idea.

leskchan | 27. oktober 2016

No, it needs collaboration. Who damaged the bumper? You, after deliver Your? Someone on the highway? At the factory?

The driver doesn't need to work for Tesla, he just need to collaborate the findings.

You get the idea.

Brian | 28. oktober 2016

I don't think that they would want to have the car deliver itself, but I could see it delivered by a self driven flatbed made by Tesla. I myself wouldn't want the car to deliver itself to me. I wouldn't want it showing up with the aforementioned chips and bugs. I would want it showing up showroom ready.

J. L. Brown | 28. oktober 2016

I think Brian has the right answer here -- we already know that 'all Tesla vehicles built after 2016-Oct-10 will have full self-driving hardware installed' and also 'Tesla plans to build a semi'. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to have Telsa using Tesla semis to deliver Tesla cars.

The whole bit about needing a Tesla employee to be present at hand-over is still problematic.

McLary | 28. oktober 2016

Never, idiot!

ngk26200 | 30. oktober 2016

Tesla is not the only one working on solving this particular problem. It will get worked out from a regulatory standpoint, and then they will work hard to make us trust that the delivery doesn't result in loss of value to the car. I think it's doable.

Red Sage ca us | 30. oktober 2016

Brian: Heh. I imagine a time when the self driven flatbeds are always on the move. So you could order through your mobile phone and a new car would be delivered within 30 minutes. Yes. Faster than a pizza. Cool.

SimonR_AU | 30. oktober 2016

Re: bugs and rock chips. i can imagine them sending the entire car wrapped in plastic. Or it can go through a car wash on the way just before it arrives. Maybe even let you login via app and see the video feed of it driving. Real time visual tracking.