Forums

The process of upgrading to the new AP2.0 with self-driving hardware?

The process of upgrading to the new AP2.0 with self-driving hardware?

It seems like there are a lot of recent Tesla owner who is having buyer remorse due to this new AP2.0 with self-driving hardware announcement. Since Tesla has already said there is not going to be an option of upgrading current Tesla with the new AP2.0, the only other option of getting the upgrade is to sell it and repurchase a new Tesla. I would imagine that some of us is willing to do this (especially for those who recently received their vehicle) and sacrifice losing a few thousand dollars in the process. The question I wonder is how much we can sell our vehicle for and what are some of the best ways to sell our vehicle. Perhaps Tesla should have a buyback program where they can specify the depreciation % they’re willing to buy back for vs. how old the vehicle is. This may be a win win situation for them since the Tesla pre-owned web site literally does not have any Model X for sale and I would suspect that there are people who does not care about AP2.0 and is looking for a good deal on a slightly used Model X. This is especially true if you have a Model X 60D (with a 75 kWh battery) that is no longer available from Tesla for such a good deal. Other than a wishful Tesla buyback program, perhaps we can all help each other out by suggesting some of the best way to sell our almost brand new Model X. Also, does anyone knows if we can still claim the $7,500 tax credit on our tax return this year along with the state rebate if we sell our vehicle before the end of the 2016 tax year or would we have to wait until after the 1st of the year to sell our vehicle and still get the rebates?

hl11211 | 21. oktober 2016

This is Tesla loyalty program and buy back offer me
"Just check with Tesla for my 2 months old 90D, bought at 114K, trade in eval at 87K from Tesla
Really 87K after 2 months"
Ouch ouch
Another X owner with 1 week old car will lost 28.5K offer by Tesla in order to get the A.P 2.0

This is Tesla loyalty program and buy back offer me
"Just check with Tesla for my 2 months old 90D, bought at 114K, trade in eval at 87K from Tesla
Really 87K after 2 months"
Ouch ouch
Another X owner with 1 week old car will lost 28.5K offer by Tesla in order to get the A.P 2.0

lilbean | 21. oktober 2016

Does this mean the car will be worth $0 in 9 months? ;-)

You hurt my feeling lilbean, lol

lilbean | 21. oktober 2016

Sorry. We can cry on each other's shoulders. :-)

MXBlack | 21. oktober 2016

@hl11211, who did you contact to get your buy back offer? I want to try and see what they'll offer me, but definitely Ouch!

Call Tesla center 650-681-5000 and speak to sales

Howrayg | 21. oktober 2016

I think people are panicing about the new autopilot. It's going to be years before it will be available due to regulatory issues and testing. I'm not at all upset. The version 8 autopilot works b etter than version 7. I love to drive the car anyway. Lol!

Varze | 21. oktober 2016

My X 90D was delivered last week and cost $120,200. I got a buy bid from Tesla for it for $98,000. So after $1000 referral and $7500 tax credit net loss is $13,700 + tax. So, cost roughly $15,000 to buy a new X 90D with AP2 hardware which I decided to do.

"I think people are panicing about the new autopilot." - Elon says AP2 will initially be worse than AP1, but by December it will be better than AP1 and will get significantly better from there forward. As for fully autonomous driving...I really don't see that happening in the US anytime soon. End of next year at the very earliest, most likely 2 or more years away still.

rossRallen | 21. oktober 2016

@'bean: be happy. You have a driver's car, not a road bot!

Realure | 21. oktober 2016

Take out the tax rebate when calculating the depreciation. With Fed/State rebates at $13.5K it is not so bad.

But, you cannot even turn on L5 in most every public street until the regulators allow you to. Also, it won't even have the current functionality for months.

Stop the panic. Until the laws allow L5 use, the AP 2.0 is only going to be incrementally better once they finish getting it to the public beta phase.

MXBlack | 27. oktober 2016

Tesla came back with a trade in offer for my X60D at 85% depreciation + $8,000 selling fee + $100 warranty depreciation. My net loss after taking into account the referral credit, federal and state tax rebates = $18,146 for a 6 weeks old car. Needless to say, I'm keeping my car, and am so over AP2 now :)

patp | 27. oktober 2016

dtv425 - IMO you got the best deal/value ever with your X60D. Keep it and resale value will be great. However, for those who bought the top of the line P100D with max profit for Tesla a P100D with AP1, I think it's a different situation.

Remnant | 27. oktober 2016

@reeler (October 21, 2016)

<< The AP2 HW won't even have [AP1] functionality for several months [and], once in the public beta phase, AP 2.0 will only be incrementally better. [Furthermore, at L5], you cannot even turn it on in ... public streets before the regulators allow you to. >>

In addition, you'll probably have to pay a fee for every update..

eharden007 | 27. oktober 2016

These posts are making me ill, I hope these numbers are not accurate. If so I would never hear the end of it from my wife. 75D 4 weeks old/ $116K w/tax, uh...(pass me some liquor).

darlin | 28. oktober 2016

Mr Musk, please allow the Adaptive Cruise Control to be purchased separately from the AutoPilot. I have been on your 30-day free trial with AP1, sell price of $3500, and have decided that I cannot justify nor use the Autosteer part because of the type of driving I do on a daily basis; that is, mostly two-lane rural roads and small town streets. However the Adaptive Cruise is wonderful. I love using it and steering the car myself. Perfect for my daily driving. Please consider offering them separately. Thank you for your consideration. Darlin

lhanspal | 29. oktober 2016

@reeler - AP2.0 is not just "Level 5 Self Driving"... the extra hardware is bound to provide a much better autopilot 1.0 like driving experience as well...

Based off - https://www.tesla.com/autopilot - take a look at the very bottom of the page. AP2.0 does not disable the more critical auto steer functions... the features disabled are automatic emergency braking, side collision warning, front collision warning, auto high-beams ... these are more than likely that the software is not fully tested out on the new hardware. And that will be done in a few months...

I have seen others posts that say "AP2.0 does not get AP1.0 parity till 2018" - and that is absolutely inaccurate... a lot of the similar sounding topics are getting mixed up.

ash | 29. oktober 2016

I ordered X60D in August. Now they tell me the tentative date is in December this year. My question is that Tesla Headquarters called me and asked if I wanted to upgrade to the Air suspension and I stated No as I wanted the original standard suspension. Now I see that they have added the $ 1250.00 in my spec without my approval. What are my rights with the agreement we all sign.

Also, I paid $ 3,000.00 for the autopilot upgrade. What happens to the price difference AP 1.0 and AP 2.0. When will they let me know to update the agreement.