Forums

What does the new Super Charger limit mean?

What does reducing the free yearly Super Charger allowance mean in the long run? Does it mean slower or the end of super charger expansion? After all, why do we need more super chargers if we'll be driving less? Loss of the millennial market share? No more 30 somethings buying S60s. Will Elon introduce a lifetime Super Charger fee? Will it cost 5K, 10K, 15K? What is a lifetime of eGas estimated to be? Will Tesla stock plummet like Netflix and rise again? But Netflix rebounded because there was no cheaper comparable market alternative. Can the same be said of Tesla?

I'm sure that the bean counters at Tesla thought long and hard about the repercussions of such a move. And they are convinced that this gamble will somehow put Tesla in a stronger market position.

Silver2K | 21. november 2016

there is no limit, you can charge all you want, but you have to pay.

tes-s | 21. november 2016

The lawyers came up with the 1,000 miles. My guess is they meter the 400kWh, and "estimate" the 1,000 miles - nice round number and laywers like it too. Don't want a bunch of crybabies saying they didn't get the promised miles.

RanjitC | 21. november 2016

Actually it may have been better to allocate a certain amount of time free and charge for the time you are connected to the SC after that time is exceeded. This would make SC's more available to a larger population by discouraging topping off and not moving your car after it is charged.

Silver2K | 21. november 2016

This is as simple as it gets
--------------------------------------------------

SamO | November 7, 2016
Self driving capabilities and Tesla Network explain the changes. When a car can drive itself 50,000 miles per year, something has to change.

Haggy | 21. november 2016

The limit won't necessarily make superchargers less attractive for property owners. For those who aren't in areas that are likely to have local users in the first place, such as along major highways, the usage will be similar unless it causes people to cut down on trips. Since a Tesla will still be the cheapest car to travel in, I don't see that happening. In urban areas where there's plenty of local charging, there's already too much traffic, and they could do without locals who sit in their cars for an hour and might prefer those who get out of their cars after a long trip, even if it's fewer cars overall. Those locations are already busy and I don't expect that to change.

High Plains Drifter | 22. november 2016

Finally, an answer that addresses the question at hand Thank you for staying on topic.

Silver2K | 22. november 2016

the OP also asks about stocks and that was no answered...

SamO answered it perfectly and so did I.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
my answer to your headline question

SilverP85plus | November 21, 2016
there is no limit, you can charge all you want, but you have to pay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SamO's answer

SamO | November 7, 2016
Self driving capabilities and Tesla Network explain the changes. When a car can drive itself 50,000 miles per year, something has to change.

Silver2K | 22. november 2016

And if you have been paying any attention to the forum almost everyone and haggy have given that same answer over and over and over again.

jordanrichard | 22. november 2016

400 kwh at the car is more like 1200 miles. I have been tracking my supercharger usage since Jul 2014. I note the kwh and miles added. So, I went with the most recent and worked backwards and it came out to 1200 miles. Now, of course that also only took me back to the first week of August. So for those that think 1,000-1,200 miles is plenty on an annual basis......ahhh, no.

High Plains Drifter | 22. november 2016

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. Especial thanks to Haggy, you have remarkable focus. You managed to stayed on track even as the subject changed.

Pages