Forums

Can Tesla make a car that people actually want?

Can Tesla make a car that people actually want?

Don't get me wrong, I love Tesla, the ethos and the fact its a great electric car. But EVERYONE I talk to has the same pet hates: Those stupid ass gull wing doors. That ridiculous 17" iPad in the centre console. The lack of REAL buttons to use when you're the one driving (to change the heating or anything you have to look away from the road and at the screen - dangerous).

Lastly, most people also say the interior is fairly basic - as in the finish of the seats, upholstery, detailing. For the price, people are looking for Porsche or Audi standards.

I'm sure there are many reasons why this and why that, but these are the realities folks. Only geeks want gull wings and huge iPads in the dashboard. Most people aren't geeks - especially people who can afford these cars like myself and practically everyone I know.

So for now, we've all agreed it's probably best to wait a few years for the Porsche, Audi, VW, Volvo full electric equivalents to come out.

COME ON TESLA - Give us what we will desire most. Beat the best in the car industry in every area, not just electric drivetrain.

hami05 | 01. desember 2016

I'm not a geek, but the doors, the screen, and the overall high tech feel of the car were some of the only things that even made it a possibility for me to think of dropping $100k on a car... If you don't want the "gull wing doors," (which happen to actually be found on vehicles such as the Mercedes SLS AMG) then get a Model S. If you miss having 30 physical buttons, dials, and rockers to play around with, buy a Porsche. If you don't want a 17 inch touchscreen... well you have quite a few options there. Not sure I, and possibly many other owners, have the same complaints as you.

georgehawley.fl.us | 01. desember 2016

Buttons? If you can't operate a Tesla, then buy a Mercedes and hire a co-pilot to help you try to figure out what all the buttons do. My wife has an E350 coupe. The local MB dealer gives four hour seminars to try to help people deal with the arcane user interface. 😉

lilbean | 01. desember 2016

Tesla doesn't need you. The car is awesome. Go buy a KIA! Cheers!

OvrICE | 01. desember 2016

Just because you don't want those things doesn't mean others don't want them. And I don't know who you talk to that hates those things; but, everyone that I know who has seen my car is fascinated with these features. I'm with lilbean, go buy a Kia! There are a lot of choices out there that don't have all of these things you hate.

burdogg | 01. desember 2016

LOL! You must be talking to a very minority or people that don't own Tesla's and want Tesla to fail - your complaints are absurd. LOVE my Model S. The features you are pointing out is what attracts people - you are too funny. Go enjoy your MB or Kia or whatever other "superior" car you think is out there and enjoy - but don't act like you know Tesla.

Gert van Veen | 01. desember 2016

Funny, this morning we were talking about the Smart Electric, See : http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107463_2017-smart-fortwo-electric-d....
Why this complex structure, all those buttons! Isn't this dead end. Behind every button are wires, every wire needs to be connected, every button, every connection can be damaged. Every button as a function that can't be changed. The interface is complex, hard to maintain and not flexible enough to evolute to a next level.
The dashboard of Model 3 seems to be more future proof.

borodinj | 01. desember 2016

This reminds me of when the iPhone came out. You had those that couldn't bear to think of a phone or smartphone without keys, and those people were married to their blackberries. Many, of course found that a contextual, responsive touchscreen controlling all functions offered far greater flexibility and ease of use.

Needless to say, look at the mobile phone market today. Ask yourself, what happened to Blackberry?

Saxman | 01. desember 2016

@Borodinj

Great analogy :)

PedanticOne | 01. desember 2016

Sounds like the OP wants an electric Porsche. I love Porsche fit/finish. Honestly, I think it's the best. But the Tesla interiors are not that bad. And I'm pretty sure when they complete that electric car they're working on, it will cost about 200K at least. At least the Tesla pricing is a bit more accessible to many.

I was actually going to buy a Cayenne before I changed my mind and did the Tesla. There are a LOT of buttons in the Porsche. Too many buttons. Good lord the buttons. WHY SO MANY BUTTONS. The screen idea is the best solution for that. Completely configurable. When they were on the Enterprise D, did they have lots of buttons? No! Configurable screens. See? It's the future! :-)

I just don't get these types of posts. Talking about materials and lack of buttons. Big picture, people!

Haha! The buttons! Too many. It's crazy.

@borodinj +1, @burdogg +1

Button button, whose got the button :)

Triggerplz | 01. desember 2016

OP needs to BUTTON his lips

Yep!

sosmerc | 01. desember 2016

Glad to see that I am not the only one hoping that Tesla will build a vehicle that is targeted to those that want the full BEV experience, but also want a vehicle that is practical and easy to drive without all of the "distractions".
Ok, fire away....I just put on my "flamesuit".

Distractions? How much do you all mess with your center console area and buttons? Really? You do realize that you can control temp from your steering wheel? On off, from steering wheel.

I am lost here - I have had cars and even with buttons - I STILL had to look there to use them - don't pretend that you fiddled over there and never looked to make sure you were fiddling with the right thing?

Really? We want to go backwards? How old are you people?

carlk | 01. desember 2016

You = People? I did not think so.

carlk | 01. desember 2016

BTW by the time Porsche, Audi, VW and Volvo comes out with EVs they will like mimic the interior of Tesla anyway. If you have not noticed many of them are already going that direction with ever bigger screen that controls more function. They just could not afford to completely copy Tesla so fast.

Exactly. They are already using screens for dashes, and the new Prius Prime has a big ass screen in the middle now. Wonder where they got that idea from... From the manufacturer's POV, this is simpler and easier to build/design. Plus it's infinitely configurable.

OP and @sosmerc. Why are you asking Tesla to change their cars? Why don't you ask the other car companies to design a car the way you want it. Get a Chevy Bolt or Nissan Leaf. Isn't that what you are looking for? Asking Tesla to make an electric car like the ICE car companies is like asking Porche to come out with a minivan! It ain't gonna happen!

Blue85DCalifornia | 01. desember 2016

> it's probably best to wait a few years for the Porsche, Audi, VW, Volvo full electric equivalents to come out.

Yes, it's probably better that you wait.

inconel | 01. desember 2016

sounds to me like a generation thing. What the OP calls geeks are simply younger folks who can adapt faster to technologies.

rdfbsmith | 01. desember 2016

I love my Model X
People ask about it daily

rdfbsmith | 01. desember 2016

I just completed a total of 3700 mile round trip from Texas to Virginia. And I must say it was (AWESOME)Zero issues My 90D performed like a champ. Started in San Antonio temp was 75-80 got to Virginia 40 during the day 32 at night.

I am very pleased with every aspect of the vehicle autopilot was great. My average driving speed was 70-75 there are plenty of charging stations along the route, I also notice that once I typed in my route and if I wanted to go to a different Super Charging station just hit the lightning bolt at the bottom right of the screen and many more stationed showed up.
Besides stopping to charge and to shop all was great. Never did I get close to running out of juice.

Only recommendation is if it states you have enough charge to reach your next station always add another 10-15 minutes to account for detours.

The town I was in in Virginia didn't have a Supercharger so being on the safe side I purchased the extension from Amazon it also worked out great my friends dryer out was available.

I don't want a Bolt, or a Leaf, or a Nissan. I really want a Tesla that meets my needs. And by the time they have a model for me, well, maybe by that time there will be a charging station everywhere I want to go. Gosh darn but, some of you guys hear the word MiniVan and you react just like my wife. All she can think of his a pack of screaming kids with sticky fingers and spilt milk all over the place. I don't know why she thinks that...we don't even have kids, nor any pets!! Oh and by the way, by the time Tesla makes "my vehicle" I expect the growth of my Tesla stock to pay for it. I was lucky and bought in back when it was $38 a share. I could even buy one now if I wanted !

hami05 | 01. desember 2016

^Looks like Tesla already is making cars that people want.

Leeo | 01. desember 2016

The X to be delivered soon will be my 3rd Tesla. I can tell you JD doesn't own one. Probably hasn't even had a ride in one. In fact his comments are troll like behavior.

David N | 01. desember 2016

"Can Tesla make a car that people actually want?"

We're so glad you pointed that out to us, we'll call Elon first thing in the morning to fill him in on what he should be doing, and that he's been way off base.
Thank you again for your input. You could very well have just saved Tesla.

I can't spit without hitting a Tesla around here. I guess they must be forced to drive them. Poor souls.

PedanticOne - nice :) I think the same thing everytime I get into my S - why on earth do I have to drive this thing? Why doesn't Tesla at least make a nice car that does not distract everyone on the road. I hate this thing. :)

I again just laugh at someone saying the touch screen is "distracting" What????

Perhaps a better title for this thread would have been: How long will it take for Tesla to be large and successful enough to build a variety of vehicles to satisfy everyone's need and budget? (believe me, I WANT them to be a success....I have alot riding on it)

NumberOne | 01. desember 2016

I have to agree that it might be dangerous to change something like the A/C, as if you do not have the same issue with any other cars. What I would suggest is turning on autopilot. Of course you should still pay attention to the road, but it is a lot safer to briefly glance away from the road when you have autopilot active, than when it is not. Tesla still cannot produce the cars fast enough so I am not sure they are not already producing something people want. I have had my Model X for six months and love it. I have had zero issues with the falcon wing doors, and use them every day, even in my low ceiling garage.

Very happy to hear from owners that are totally satisfied with their new Tesla. This is encouraging . Not everyone's story is as rosy. Clearly Tesla has alot on their plate trying to meet current demand and now the additional challenge of integrating Solar City into their "plans" for the future. The next few years are going to be interesting to watch. Will Tesla remain the leader and continue to set the bar? I sure hope so.

OP states"Can Tesla make a car people actually want" Lots of people want their MS Lots of people want and waited 4 years for their MS, there are well over 300,000 people waiting and want the model 3. How much Want do you Want. By the way as you can see your comment has pushed a lot of people's BUTTONS... https://imgur.com/a/YwCIu

Oops waited 4 years for their MX

Good one, @triggerplz. Buttons lol.

Triggerplz - nice - I think you nailed it. Everyone that has even seen the inside of my Model S are impressed - there are some that are just a tough crowd. Or maybe we are all just blind (especially those of that actually OWN the vehicle) and don't realize how much better knobs and such are :)

Sorry, meant BUTTONS, not knobs, must be late, my mind was not working

Funny because just about everyone who sees my car wants it. :)

No kidding - and to the ops comments about the other cars - I await their infrastructure in 4 years to even come close to rivaling Tesla's. Even if they had a little nicer fit and finish in the interior - 4 years is a long time, Tesla will still win hands down :)

Yes! The car is awesome. Kids always point, stare and wave. Adults give me the thumbs up. People still gather around the car wherever I go.

Lilbean - that is not the car - the adults thumbs up and gathering around is to see you :) You didn't realize that yet - the car is just their excuse.

Haha! Thanks :) true. I live in LA. There's are Teslas everywhere. I lose count. Wow, I pissed a few people off today.

Yeah, I saw that one this morning and knew you had misread what the poster said, thought it would be an easy oversight, but boy was I wrong :)

I'm sure I lost some brain cells when my Dad tried to strangle me when I was a child. My bad!

Yikes :(
I will let it slide this once, but next time, I am taking your keyboard away :) (oh and by the way, while i got that extra energy the other day from your workout, my car did not get cleaned after you washed yours, what is up with that?)

I will let it slide this once, but next time, I am taking your keyboard away :) (oh and by the way, while i got that extra energy the other day from your workout, my car did not get cleaned after you washed yours, what is up with that?)

Yeah, people judge me when they don't know what's going on with me. Oh well.
What? Your car should have been spotless. I detailed mine. :)

We are going to have to work on this telepathic sharing stuff more - mine is covered in dirt from the wet streets. Just going to have to concentrate and scrub harder next time - maybe it was the outfit - que Silver :)

Pages