Forums

I was this close....

I was this close....

So like everyone here, I have been obsessed about the Model 3 since I put down my deposit. I've been talking about with my wife and telling her all the great things about Tesla. She doesn't pay it much attention. So then she sees a Model S in a parking lot one day and mentions "Hey those are nice cars" but that's about it. Then last night we are walking around the mall, she sees the Tesla showroom and says hey why don't we look at them. Of course I jump and say let's go!! I am showing her the X and the S and comparing to the Model 3 and then she asks "But how big is the 3 compared to these?"

So I tell her it will be smaller, similar to a BMW 3 series...and she is like "Oh that's kinda small, maybe this S would be better" MY EYES LIT UP! Tell her about the benefits of the tax credit, the features, the last week to order the 60...I think I got this...I am reeling her in. Then suddenly she snapped out of it "Hold on, you're getting too excited, what I meant was maybe you should just save up for a couple of extra years and get the S then"

Crash and burn man. Crash and burn.

dsvick | 13. april 2017

Darn, that was close. Maybe you need to research the advantages in getting the $7,500 tax credit vs saving a larger down payment. Are there any state incentives that might go away? There is the safety factor.... autopilot. If all else fails, break out the big guns and take her on a test drive ....

Ross1 | 13. april 2017

You nearly got the right wife

burdogg | 13. april 2017

HockeyEV - don't give up yet - It took a couple weeks on my wife and she finally conceded. Then a year later, I went after the X too - took a little longer, thought I would never break her, but managed to and now have that as well :) Run a budget, showing how it will all work (if it will, I don't ever want someone over extending themselves either). Show her the way that it won't affect your finances etc...

Anyway, hey if you really want the S, it is worth a try - you got her that far, don't give in too fast, as there might still be a little hope :)

@Ross - that was good :)

NKYTA | 13. april 2017

Sad story. ;-)

Red Sage ca us | 13. april 2017

Keep hope alive!

(Meanwhile, on the BMW forums... Your Wife is relating the same story to others over how she strung you along...)

dsvick | 13. april 2017

@Red Sage - "Meanwhile, on the BMW forums... Your Wife is relating the same story to others over how she strung you along"

+100 that was awesome!

PhillyGal | 13. april 2017

Sorry to hear.
I guess our story - the one in which the wife convinced the husband - is the rare one.

My guess is that his Wife ordered the car two weeks ago and didn't tell him...

hsuru4u | 13. april 2017

i was like your wife.....my gf was like you...and she got a new s60d. She loves it and is happy but to me its just an overpriced way to get from point a to point b. I like the idea of ev and the car is cool and nice but way to expensive to me in general. I am a guy who has NEVER bought a brand new car in my 40 yrs of life. I always buy used and older(i like older cars) and pay cash..no leases or loans for me. Sure i dont have the newest coolest thing out but my 2004 mr2 spyder works fine for me now.
I am happy for her and as i said its a cool car and drives great and she hardly drives here mdx so she is always excited to drive it. We drove a leaf/i3/volt and they pale in comparison to the s model. Its sleek/simple and fast . but to me overpriced.

barb@duke | 13. april 2017

Just tell her she will never have to stop at a gas station ever again- that appeals to women.

danbry39 | 13. april 2017

Funny thing is that I just wanted to see what the Tesla torque felt like and ended up being completely and totally taken by all that the S is, so I bought one. Mind you, I've done a ton of research on them from their inception. Now, I have to decide whether to use my model 3 reservation or not. Without asking, was told that I moved way up toward the top of the list by becoming a Tesla owner (I was in decent shape anyway after standing in line the first day). Ironically, my youngest daughter's car, at nine years old, is showing its age and she said she might want me to buy it and she could buy it off me.

Bluesday Afternoon | 13. april 2017

Boy, do I understand! 12 1/2 months after reserving a Model 3 she says I think I want one, too. I know she's tired of hearing my Tesla this and Elon that stories so I know I didn't sway her. It must have been one of her friends or another family member. ;-)

Haggy | 13. april 2017

"Then suddenly she snapped out of it "Hold on, you're getting too excited, what I meant was maybe you should just save up for a couple of extra years and get the S then"

You need to talk about the fact that the 60 won't be available in the future and talk about residual value. I have a 2014 Model S. Naturally the value drops by the amount of the tax benefits as soon as you get it home, but that doesn't hurt you because you get the tax benefits.

My car is 2.5 years old and has about 40,000 miles on it. I found a CPO on Tesla's website that's the same model year, similar mileage, and almost identical features. It costs about $14,000 less than mine was worth once I got it home (i.e. after accounting for tax benefits) when new. That's about a 15% drop.

That doesn't mean that you would or wouldn't be better off waiting. But if you wait a few years, it means doing without the car for a few years. The cost of having the car for those few years isn't all that much.

Another thing to keep in mind is that tax benefits are still there. Somebody looking at that CPO is willing to buy it, knowing that a new one would be $24,000 more, even though there would be $10,000 in tax benefits in my state. If the tax benefits were gone, chances are the residual value would be higher. A person is willing to buy a car like that in order to save a given amount of money, and that should be true in the future.

Effectively what that means is that once the tax benefits are gone, buying a new one instead of a CPO will be more expensive by the amount of the tax credit. Getting the car now while you can get the tax credit might work out to far less depreciation that I've seen with mine. Plus, yours would have the latest autopilot hardware, so in two years, it might not differ appreciably from a new Model S.

You need to factor in your own circumstances, but make sure your wife understands all the factors.

Hmmm... 15,000 miles per year... 45,000 miles over three years... $24,000 in Depreciation... Is it worth $0.53~ per mile to get the car now instead of waiting 36 months...?

tstolz | 13. april 2017

You don't need to say anything more ... book a test drive.

4fishtankz | 13. april 2017

Another thought that you can convince your wife is that the Tax credits are now. Also if you are in California, that extra $100 in registration kicks in on new EVs purchased after 2020. If you like the bigger car jump on it now.

KP in NPT | 13. april 2017

Book the test drive! I was the one convincing my husband. He played all "you're being ridiculous" and then did the test drive without telling me. Next convo was "the talk" about how he wanted to buy a Tesla. :-)

RSavage_92024 | 13. april 2017

Stories like this make me love my wife even MORE.

Haggy | 15. april 2017

"Hmmm... 15,000 miles per year... 45,000 miles over three years... $24,000 in Depreciation... Is it worth $0.53~ per mile to get the car now instead of waiting 36 months...?"

Tax incentives brought my original cost down by $10,000. True depreciation, which is the difference between my net cost and current value, was $14,000.

Red Sage ca us | 15. april 2017

Haggy: Thanks for the update. I presumed the number you gave earlier included that benefit.

reed_lewis | 16. april 2017

My wife knows that when I want something, I will get it. As long as the money is there, it is fine what I do with it.

Financially, the Model S works for us. Your Mileage may vary.

...And I am certainly not rich and living off a trust fund by any means. But both my wife and I make good money, and we can afford it.

JuJo0 | 17. april 2017

reed_lewis | April 16, 2017

...And I am certainly not rich and living off a trust fund by any means. But both my wife and I make good money, and we can afford it.

----

"Rich" in that context is subjective. To some, just being able to afford a Model S would consider you rich.

dd.micsol | 17. april 2017

@Hockey-nice story. thanks for the laugh. Good luck to you.
@ bad jujo or was that juju... rich to most of us is having over 1m in the bank. right now rich is defined as having 2.5m in the bank. Yes rich is subjective to how one lives their lives in my opinion. There's a personal definition and a public definition.

JuJo0 | 18. april 2017

@dd

Maybe you're right, but I'm not sure if you can speak for "most of us." Even having >$500k or even less than that could be considered rich, is all I'm saying. Especially now with Model 3 prospective buyers, it's likely majority of the hundreds of thousands of reservation holders do not have over $100k in the bank (I know I don't). And where is it "publicly defined" as 2.5m? In the US, 2017 highest tax bracket income is $418k for single people. In NY, the 1% only needs to make $672,795 annually, whereas in the Jackson, Wyoming area, the 1% needs to make $1.65 million annually.

Red Sage ca us | 18. april 2017

JuJo0: I've said that one becomes 'rich' at the point where their Children never wear the same pair of socks twice. If you, your Spouse, and your Progeny, are still so frugal that you actually wash or dry clean your clothing with the intent of wearing them again some day? You aren't actually rich yet.

Essentially? Richie Rich is RICH. Scrooge McDuck is RICH. Donald Duck and Goofy are paupers. Mickey Mouse is doing all right for himself.

JeffreyR | 19. april 2017

tstolz wrote, "You don't need to say anything more ... book a test drive."

We have a winner! +1

Also, relate that not only is a Tesla more efficient, it's much, much safer than just about anything on the road. Show her the side impact test from the Model X Reveal. Next safest car (Volvo) was around 16 inches deeper. Model S has similar design and safety.