Forums

is it possible to listen to TV audio

is it possible to listen to TV audio

Does anyone know if it is possible to listen to TV audio via the entertainment system? If so, how? Thx

UnshodBob | 03. juni 2017

I have a Spectrum (cable tv) app on my iPad that I could Bluetooth to the car speakers but I don't think it works away from my home wifi, so it probably would be useless for driving. :(

murphyS90D | 03. juni 2017

It is not possible to listen to TV audio anymore unless you have an ATSC receiver.. Ever since the switch from NTSC encoding (analog TV) to ATSC encoding (digital TV) the audio has been digital. NTSC audio was standard FM.

bill | 03. juni 2017

You can use your cell phone and blue tooth with Comcast if they are your cable subscriber. Other providers probably have similar stuff.

UnshodBob | 03. juni 2017

I tried it with the Spectrum app. Once I left the wifi reception area, most of the stations were unavailable. I was able to see some I recognized but don't normally watch. El Rey network worked. It's good stuff. WE was available. It was a list of dozens, compared with a few hundred normally. My iPad can use both wifi and cellular, some are wifi only.

rschulze | 03. juni 2017

I have a Slingbox and so use that to remotely turn to any TV channel at the house while away. It operates with an iPhone or an iPad. You can Bluetooth the audio through the Tesla sound system and passengers can watch the video or there is an audio only mode on the app. Unfortunately unless you listen to the audio directly through the iPhone or iPad there is a lag for the audio. That is not a factor if you're just listening to the audio, of course.

DLebryk | 03. juni 2017

If the device you have for watching video has Bluetooth - you can connect the audio portion to the car. As rschulze said, the lag between the video and audio is long.

On a long trip my wife watched a DVD on a MacBook Pro and I connected the audio via Bluetooth to the car. The sound was excellent, just delayed compared to the video. She watched, I listened while I drove.

stevenmaifert | 04. juni 2017

If you are a DISH Network subscriber and have the receiver connected to the Internet, you can watch and listen to the audio via their Dish Anywhere app. There is a version for just about any platform; PC, Tablet and Smart Phones. Unlike some providers where their remote app only works on your home WiFi, this works anywhere in the world you can get an Internet connection of sufficient speed to support streaming. Like others have commented, their is an audio delay when you BT connect your device to the Media Center. Not such a big deal when watching or listening to a sporting event or just listening to the audio, but really annoying when you are watching people speaking. There is a variety of opinion on this, but you can also connect a low cost FM transmitter to your device and listen to the audio through the FM radio. It eliminates the delay experience with BT, and frees up your Media Center BT connection for the phone.

SUN 2 DRV | 04. juni 2017

BocaBoy: It all depends what you're looking for...TuneIn DOES carry live audio from several TV networks. eg I can listen to CNN live... So see if TuneIn carries the TV channels you're interested in and you can listen to those using Tesla's builtin TuneIn app.

MelaniaFromBrentwood | 04. juni 2017

+1 SUN 2 DRV!

I have been paying for Sirius XM for all these years on my Volt just to listen to CNN. When test driving the Model s, I asked it to "Play CNN" and to my surprise it came through! Then I discovered the car did NOT have Premium Audio therefore this was streamed through TuneIn! It's amazing. Saves me $15 a month PLUS no premium audio package!

akikiki | 04. juni 2017

MelaniaFromBrentwood, Very cool. Always fun to hear a success story.

bp | 05. juni 2017

The answer is yes, but ...

XM radio does offer some live TV audio for news and sports programs. Though for cars built after 8.0 was released, it's very difficult to find any XM station, since Tesla hasn't yet fixed the bug preventing the station list/categories to be displayed for XM or restored the station slider (so you can move more than one station at a time).

And you can use a smartphone or other device connected via Bluetooth to listen to TV audio while also displaying the video on that device.

But... if the audio will likely be out-of-sync with the video, because the Bluetooth connection will add a slight delay in the audio, unless the app you are using has a way to sync the video with the audio, it can be annoying to anyone watch the video.

On road trips, if there is a sporting event underway, such as NBA, NFL or NBA, we'll often run the TiVo app on one of our smartphones, connected to our home TiVo Bolt+ - and stream the live TV, with the passenger watching the video and the audio routed through Bluetooth to the car's audio system. And this works reasonably well, except in areas of poor cell phone signal.

When FSD becomes available, it's likely the current restrictions for displaying video on the console (where the driver can see) will eventually be lifted, and then have some way to display the video on the console display along with using the car's audio system, which should bring the audio back in sync with the video.

bp | 05. juni 2017

The answer is yes, but ...

XM radio does offer some live TV audio for news and sports programs. Though for cars built after 8.0 was released, it's very difficult to find any XM station, since Tesla hasn't yet fixed the bug preventing the station list/categories to be displayed for XM or restored the station slider (so you can move more than one station at a time).

And you can use a smartphone or other device connected via Bluetooth to listen to TV audio while also displaying the video on that device.

But... if the audio will likely be out-of-sync with the video, because the Bluetooth connection will add a slight delay in the audio, unless the app you are using has a way to sync the video with the audio, it can be annoying to anyone watch the video.

On road trips, if there is a sporting event underway, such as NBA, NFL or NBA, we'll often run the TiVo app on one of our smartphones, connected to our home TiVo Bolt+ - and stream the live TV, with the passenger watching the video and the audio routed through Bluetooth to the car's audio system. And this works reasonably well, except in areas of poor cell phone signal.

When FSD becomes available, it's likely the current restrictions for displaying video on the console (where the driver can see) will eventually be lifted, and then have some way to display the video on the console display along with using the car's audio system, which should bring the audio back in sync with the video.

SUN 2 DRV | 05. juni 2017

FWIW: KCBS is also available on TuneIn and they carry some live programs such as 60 Minutes.

lytranmobdro | 23. juli 2019

If you are a DISH Network subscriber and have the receiver connected to the Internet, you can watch and listen to the audio via their Dish Anywhere app. There is a version for just about any platform; PC, Tablet and Smart Phones. Unlike some providers where their remote app only works on your home WiFi, this works anywhere in the world you can get an Internet connection of sufficient speed to support streaming. Like others have commented, their is an audio delay when you BT connect your device to the Media Center. Not such a big deal when watching or listening to a sporting event or just listening to the audio, but really annoying when you are watching people speaking. There is a variety of opinion on this, but you can also connect a low cost FM transmitter to your device and listen to the audio through the FM radio. It eliminates the delay experience with BT, and frees up your Media Center BT connection for the phone.
https://mobdroplus.com/download/mobdro-for-android/

ggendel | 23. juli 2019

Or you could turn up the volume on your home TV very, very LOUD. :)

examsoftwareonl | 07. oktober 2019

If you are a user of any broadband connection and you do not have any dish connection then there are many online apps and websites that give you the ability to online video and movie streaming. Suppose if you have an Android TV and broadband connection and a well speed Internet connection then you can use either ThopTV or Mobdro Android app.
For Mobdro Download: https://mobdroapkz.com/
This both the service has the ability of online streaming. You can run such type of streaming apps on your smart Android TV using bluestack emulator. You are also eligible for free download bluestack emulator. Mobdro and ThopV are online TV apps that has many numbers of free international online channels.

finished | 07. oktober 2019

@bp-Thank you for the TiVo Bolt streaming information! We just upgraded from Series 3 to Bolt to take advantage of their lifetime subscription promotion, and I was not aware that you could stream outside your home network, but thanks to you, I can now do it. THX

tdwin2000 | 14. oktober 2019

We got rid of DirecTV about 6 months ago for YouTube TV. Best move we made this year. I can just bluetooth stream ANY tv channel we get on the YoutubeTV app while driving. Saving huge money over DirecTV too (and customer service is 24/7 which is great).

barrykmd | 21. desember 2019

Flagged the 3 mopav38346 spam posts.

1111arshad | 31. januar 2020

Thank you so much! For this great post!
[url=https://snaptube.buzz/]Snaptube[/url]

1111arshad | 31. januar 2020

Thank you so much! For this great post!
http://snaptube.buzz

goldgold098123 | 09. februar 2020

MelaniaFromBrentwood, Very cool.