Forums

Dummy Solar Roof Tiles - Roof Pitch

Dummy Solar Roof Tiles - Roof Pitch

We are designing a home and would like to use the solar roof tiles. The roof over the garage will have a pitch less than 3:12. I was wondering if dummy tiles only could be installed in this area.

TabascoGuy | 09. november 2017

Yes, they will tile the entire roof but only place solar tiles where applicable. You can't tell the difference between the actual and non solar tiles.

tkaiser | 09. november 2017

What region will the house be in? It could be possible to use solar roof tiles.

This article mentions that a pitch of 3/12 is good for summers in Salt Lake City.
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=33954513&nid=1268

Tesla2018 | 13. november 2017

I wasnt aware that they make dummy tiles. I figured a solar roof would be extremely expensive and the back section of my house faces North so it gets limited sun. Are the dummy tiles comparable in price to regular tiles? The roof overhang on my garage is about 30 ft long x 10 ft wide in front and about 10ft by 10 ft on both sides for a total of 500 sq ft.
These area receive full sun and face southeast
How many KW will this produce per month if I just do this roof. My average use is about 8000 kw per year and costs about $900 so how many sq ft of tiles would I need to generate 1000 kk per month since I would be increasing my usage once I gett my car and started charging it at home.

TabascoGuy | 14. november 2017

From the Tesla Solar Roof page: "Customize the amount of electricity your Solar Roof produces to fit your energy needs. This feature is made possible by using two types of glass tile, solar tile and non-solar tile. Both appear the same from street level."

When you enter your home address to start an estimate, it calculates the percentage of solar tiles you need to cover your energy needs. The rest would be non-solar.

mfthriller | 22. november 2017

Can anyone tell me if the tiles have any kind of gripping texture so that when working on the roof I can still walk around without it becoming a virtual ski jump?