Forums

Charging Rate

Charging Rate

Charging my M3 for the first time today. Noticed that at 235V/40A, the car is getting a 34 miles/hr rate, compared to my MX which was getting 24 miles/hr. I was initially surprised by the big difference but when you look at miles/hr as miles/gallon, it starts to makes sense.

Xerogas | 29. desember 2017

Yes, it's a smaller and more efficient car, so effectively it can charge at a faster rate.

jlxjl | 29. desember 2017

The SCEdison super off peak of $0.13/kWh, it works out to be $1.20 for every 34 miles. Probably paying 3x less than an equivalent ICE car at today’s gas prices.

burdogg | 29. desember 2017

The 3 is a different battery than the S and X. Interesting to note. the S and X charge at different rates too:

Take a look at this page:
https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation

Scroll down, and you will see different outlet charge speeds:
Example a 14-50 outlet:

3 charges at 30 miles per hour
S charges at 23 miles per hour
X charges at 20 miles per hour.

Again, I am always curious why the difference between the X and S :)

jlxjl | 29. desember 2017

For those without a 240V outlet, plugging to the 115V outlet yields 114V/12A and 4 miles/hr. Couldn’t increase the ampere further. I guess the adapter figures out the loss in the house wiring and determine the maximum charging amperage. 4 miles/hr would be adequate during the weekdays since my round trip commute to work is only 30 miles, but not on the weekends.

On another note, the scheduled charging is not working yet. Need to wait for software upgrade. One of the few things that bothers me about Tesla. They solve difficult and complex engineering issues and yet, couldn’t implement this simple/proven feature on the first go.

Haggy | 29. desember 2017

It depends on what you charge it with. I'm getting 37 but that's with the wall connector from my Model S. I haven't used the one that came with the Model 3, which should be 30. With my Model S, adding a wall connector won't speed me up compared to an NEMA 14-50. With the Model 3, it could boost me to 44 miles of range. If I want more out of my Model S, I'd have to add a twin charger, but I've yet to be in a situation where it would have made a difference.

Bluesday Afternoon | 29. desember 2017

Using a 14-50 with my S85D and set at 37 instead of 40 I get 27 mph. If I set it to 40 I’ll get 28 to 29 mph. I seldom set it to 40 even though my electrician said it was fine. No sense pushing it. And, yes I know it’s okay. :)

SCCRENDO | 29. desember 2017

It is a Nema 14-50 (the 50 means 50 amps) so 40 amps is 80%. I always charge at 40 amps and get 29 mph with a NEMA and my HPWC. Some of the earlier Model Ss had dual chargers which I believe could get 59 mph at 80 amps. The newer high speed chargers I believe are 72 amps on the Model S. From what I recall the Model 3 standard battery will only allow 32 amps and the extended range battery will allow 48 amps. You will not be able to get this from a NEMA 14-50 as Tesla does not allow you to use more than 80 % so you will need an HPWC to get 48 amps. I believe in Canada you may be limited to 32 amps on a standard Model S

ron369 | 29. desember 2017

I believe that the extended version of the Model 3 can only handle up to 40 amps, so I think you should be able to charge at the max-rate with a Nema 14-50.

Robocheme | 29. desember 2017

The Mobile Connector that comes with the 3 limits the amperage to 32.

Coastal Cruiser. | 29. desember 2017

Haggy said: "...I'm getting 37 but that's with the wall connector from my Model S. I haven't used the one that came with the Model 3, which should be 30.

Haggy, would be interested in hearing what you do get when you've had a chance to cable that came with the 3.

SCCRENDO | 29. desember 2017

From the Model 3 forum
https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/model-3-charging-rate-with-wall-con...

Looks like the charging rate is 32 amps for the smaller battery and 40 amp for the larger giving a speed of 37 mph. May need an HPWC

charles.a.braun | 29. desember 2017

I am currently charging at home for the first time. Standard NEMA 14-50 and doing 31MPH @ 32Amps

Hkinkade | 29. desember 2017

Yes, miles per hour charging with a model 3 brings some nice surprises. Large battery and efficient aerodynamics equals great MPG. Just wait till you see what happens at the Supercharbers ;-))))). MPG well north of 400!!!

charles.a.braun | 29. desember 2017

I don't know. I plugged in at a Supercharger tonight also just to see. 10 stalls with 1 other in use. I only plugged in for 10 min and max kWh I saw was 67. I was a bit disappointed but I will write it off to the temp outside being in mid 40s.

I got the LR though just so I would not need to use Superchargers. I own 2 homes that I travel about 45 round trips a year between the 2. With our S75 we have to stop once each direction to charge. With the 3, no more need to Supercharge. I only did it tonight to check the speed. I was not impressed.

rxlawdude | 30. desember 2017

@Charles, we saw peak rates in the 100kW+ range yesterday.

But the first supercharger was Indio, and started at 30kW with a 50% SOC.

Hkinkade | 30. desember 2017

In San Clemente, 155 rated miles, 115kw, 453 mi/hr! We started the charge with less than 20 rated miles, as the charge progressed the mi/hr charge rate steadily increased. It was still going up slowly when we unplugged.

Robocheme | 30. desember 2017

We stopped at four SC's on our trip to Portland. One topped out at ~115 mile/hr, but I was sharing with a X. With no sharing, the others ranges from 250-330.

Nico3 | 30. desember 2017

But, for LR, is onboard charger 40A or 48A?? I also saw these 2 number contradiction on web. If 48A, HPWC will become essential if you want max charge rate for LR M3...

I Wanna Go Fast | 30. desember 2017

Long range has 48A per the press kit. 32A standard.
Mobile connector with the car is 32A.
If you have a 6-50 or 14-50 at home already, adding a HPWC doesn't make sense unless you have long range battery and really do need the faster rate.

Mr.Tesla | 30. desember 2017

Press Kit actually says 40A for the Long Range battery, not 48A.

https://www tesla.com/presskit

DDGRBB | 31. desember 2017

Charging at 45 mi/hr at 48 amps with HPWC on new M3, my MX charges at 38 mi/hr.

I Wanna Go Fast | 31. desember 2017

@Mr.Tesla, the press kit is specifying 37 miles of range per hour charge with a 240V/40A outlet (NOT possible with included equipment, requires the HPWC).
Check out https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation#on-board-charger for the charger specification by model :)

@DDGRBB, good to see you're also getting 1mi/hr faster charging than the table at https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation#wall-connector

Mr.Tesla | 01. januar 2018

@I Wanna Go Fast

I knew the Mobile connector wouldn't go above 32A, but I am very happy to see that other link you provided, and to hear real world confirmation that the correct max for the LR on the M3 is 48A!

Now, I have to re-evaluate if I want/need that extra charging speed. Living in DC, we don't drive much, so it probably makes more sense to just stick with a NEMA 14-50. On the other hand, if we later get another Tesla...

I think what I'll do is install a 14-50, but have the electrician make it future proof for a 100A circuit and at least two networked HPWC units. So, thicker gauge wire and a junction box for later branching (I glanced at the manual for the HPWC). Then, if I decide to go for it later, it would just need a new circuit breaker, install the HPWC(s) and voila!

Thanks guys

Edittman | 06. oktober 2018

I'm at home using a HPWC with a 50A breaker, 6/3 romex, and set to position 8 for 50A with 40A draw. I'm only getting around 32 mph charging.

hsadler | 06. oktober 2018

@Edittman

That's normal.

djgarrett21 | 06. oktober 2018

Using the HPWC on a 60A breaker. Getting 40-41 mph when drawing 48A. Kinda surprised I've never been able to achieve the max 44 mph rate.

djgarrett21 | 06. oktober 2018

Using the HPWC on a 60A breaker. Getting 40-41 mph when drawing 48A. Kinda surprised I've never been able to achieve the max 44 mph rate.

Rwolf01 | 04. november 2018

>>> Kinda surprised I've never been able to achieve the max 44 mph rate.

*carefully* measure the voltage at the HPWC when the car is not charging. Then measure how much it drops when you plug in and draw the full 48 A. If there is an excessive voltage drop you may have a bad connection, or undersized wires for the length of wire that you ran.

If you just have low line voltage from your utility it is no big deal, but if the voltage drops significantly when you crank up the load, there is a possibility that something is getting dangerously warm in your house wiring.

Infiniti Pi | 04. november 2018

Today is my second day charging. Rate is about 40 mph, I was surprised too it didn’t get to 44.

Infiniti Pi | 04. november 2018

Forgot to add @48a

dhandel | 04. november 2018

I have a home charger from tesla and im getting charged at 10 mi hr. Why?

kevin_rf | 04. november 2018

@dhandel One of two reasons.

1. You set the charging current in the car extremely low. Would 10 miles per hour equal 12a @240v? Is it possible you where using a 120v @12a to charge when you first received your car and it's remembering the charge current from those charges?
2. The dip setting inside your wall charger is set to 15a. Did your installer not set the dip setting to match the breaker in your panel?

It is most likely one or the other.

zacksc | 05. november 2018

Specifically for the Long Range model 3, which is selling like hotcakes now, I think would be really cool and helpful if someone would be willing to specify the main possible voltage-current combinations and what each one corresponds to in terms of miles of range added per hour of charging.

For example, when you use the Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) that comes with the Long Range All-Wheel Drive Model 3, I am guessing that that draws about 12 amps when plugged into an ordinary 110 V outlet. Is that true, or does that depend on settings. I guess that corresponds to about a kilowatt or a little more in terms of power. (Does one have to consider RMS?) What does that corresponds to in terms of range added per hour of charging?

Anyway, that is just the start: the lowest voltage and lowest charging rate. That would be awesome if someone with some expertise would be willing to spec that out for some of the different voltage-ampere combinations. I am guessing that charging rate is scales linearly with Watts. Is that true?

kevin_rf | 05. november 2018

@zacksc

Seriously dude, the tables are on the Tesla website for every adapter configuration and current level.

For the mobile connector and all the possible adapters: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/mobile-connector

For the Tesla Wall Connector: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector

If you go with a third party J1772 charger user the wall connector tables.

The only one that is missing is RV 30amp 120v, tt-30 which is 8.4 miles an hour with a third party adapter.

CorkChop | 05. november 2018

@charles.a.braun I have LR M3 and witnessed in excess of 120 kw on a Supercharger over the weekend. At home I always get the maximum advertised at 44/mph using the black 24’ Tesla Wall Charger.

It’s amazing all of these posters confused at the rate of charging between the AC device to amps and DC Super Chargers as if Tesla hasn’t figured it out all ready. And publicly posted on their website.

maztec | 05. november 2018

@CorkChop, well, honestly, @Edittman dug up a thread that had been dead for 9 months . . . a lot of that confusion was from this time last year.

kevin_rf | 06. november 2018

Taking a glance at the tables again, a good rule of thumb on 240v is just under a mile per amp per hour for the model 3. That should get you close enough. If you needed more than one sig. fig. you are over thinking the problem.

Not as easy a rule with km hour... Just under 1.6ish, so like 1.5?
Now kinda want to put the table in Excel to see how linear it is. My eyeball is saying it appears to be rolling of alittle at 48a.

Earl and Nagin ... | 06. november 2018

@Kevin_rf +1
All,
Battery charging rates, like ICE MPG (and EV range), is not a constant thing. It depends on many things. Tesla does a good job providing rough estimates but temperature, air density, wind, driving speed, elevation and elevation changes, stop and go driving, and load all play a major role.
Getting within ~10% is all one can realistically hope for.

Jettison | 08. november 2018

Also realize during winter the battery prefers to be warm to charge the full 44mph so best to plug in immediately after driving. If you schedule your M3 to charge at midnight for example the cold battery won't accept the max 44mph.

Jettison | 08. november 2018

It's also harder on the battery to charge when cold.

bskrenes | 12. november 2018

BTW, guys, I believe the rates are average since lithium ion batteries do not charge in a linear fashion and, as stated, are affected by temperature. If you are charging on a very discharged battery, it is going to go slower at first, then very fast and then slow again.

bskrenes | 12. november 2018

Sorry got that wrong. At the superchargers they charge at around 118 kW from 0-25%, then taper off to 40% at 100 kW, 60% at 60 kW, and 80% at 40 kW. Even at 98%, it’s doing around 20 kW.

randallgrayevans | 22. desember 2018

I am not able to charge at a rate higher than 30KW at a supercharger, even though other teslas are charging at around 100KW. My LR M3 was at 169 miles (about 50%) and was limited to 30 KW. I changed to another supercharger pair (with no other car in the other pair) and it was also 30 KW. The temperature was about 55 deg F. Any idea what is limiting the charge rate.

Bighorn | 22. desember 2018

@Randall
Were you sharing power?

Bighorn | 22. desember 2018

Sometimes the sharing partner is not adjacent.

jjgunn | 22. desember 2018

Randall.....sounds like the battery was cold and/or you were in limited brake Regen.

Model X this morning charging about 43 kW with limited brake Regen & about 46 degrees F outside. Started charging at 50%. Weather makes a YOOOOOOGE difference. Tremendous.

randallgrayevans | 25. desember 2018

I'm not sure what the limited brake regen has to do with the charging rate but I am using Standard mode regen. Just prior to charging the car was in a relatively warm garage and the outside temp was 55 deg F. The charging location is only 5 minutes by highway from my house. The car was not cold. I tried two chargers well separated with no adjacent cars next to me. Both chargers only charged my M3 at 30KW whereas other Teslas were charging at 100KW or so. It seems to indicate an issue but I will have to wait for my next charge to see if it's a recurring problem. I was interested to find out if other people also had this problem with a limited charging rate.

jjgunn | 25. desember 2018

When the car & battery is cold, the charging rate will be less until the battery warms up. My comments about limited brake Regen was to show it's cooler outside.

This morning battery was at 50%. 46 degrees F outside. Began charging about 55 kW. After some time, battery now at 61% & charging rate ramped up to 73 kW.

The car will protect the battery & start charging slower when it's cold.

tdwin2000 | 25. desember 2018

I have a RWD Model 3 long range and am charging at home using the Tesla HPWC set to 48 amps and using a 60 amp breaker. I am charging at 47 miles per hour. Sometimes it starts out at 46 when first plugged in but never lower than 46. Kicks up to 47 soon after charging begins. Shows 243v to 245v which fluctuates while charging.

ODWms | 26. desember 2018

I’m using the NEMA 14 50 outlet and it goes as high as 250 volts. Still never higher than 31 MPH though.

Pages