Forums

Model 3 refund?

Model 3 refund?

Hi,
I had booked Model 3 in October 17, and paid via Paypal. In February, I cancelled the Model 3 by logging on the website. I didnt receive any cancellation email, but it didnt show the car in my account. Since then, i have been waiting for the refund, but I havent gotten it. I have emailed them through support, but havent received any response. I know that it takes a month, but this has been more than a month. I am getting concerned. Any suggestions on what i can do?

Thanks!
Saumin

mattlach | 23. april 2018

Where did you get that month figure? I had read they were supposed to refund within 10 days.

I also paid for my reservation via PayPal.

I requested my refund 3 weeks ago. Just like you, the reservation has disappeared from my account, but other than that there has been no word from them at all.

As I am posting this I have been sitting on hold for a half an hour waiting to speak to someone in their customer service department.

This is starting to get ridiculous. This level of customer service is worse than Comcast for crying out loud.

If I didn't know better I'd think they were running out of money or something...

martinbogo | 23. april 2018

You are not alone on this issue:

https://www.wired.com/story/canceling-your-model-3-deposit-dont-count-on...

It's not that Tesla is out of money ( not by a long shot ) but that there's a batch queue system and for some people, it has taken 60 days to get a refund.

I saw that, but that was from mid last year.

Would have expected that this would be fixed by now, especially since I have seen other reports after the date of that article on wired of others having a physical paper check mailed to them within 10 days of requesting cancellation.

The fact that I have now been on hold for 40 minutes. What, do they only have one person answering the phones in the "account questions" category?

This is pretty damned poor. I hope they get back to roadside assistance faster than this...

martinbogo | 23. april 2018

You are going to have _VERY_ long waits on the phone today. Assembly line was restarted on Saturday, and a batch of delivery notifications went out this morning.

There are a couple hundred people to take the calls, but there are about two THOUSAND people trying to get in touch with Tesla regarding delivery/payments/etc.

Ah, unfortunate timing in my part then.

I've been on hold for an hour and 10 minutes, but I have shit to do. I'll have to try again later :(

Farahtoutounchian | 23. april 2018

Does anyone knows the phone number to call to talk about refund?
I cant get a number on the site, mostly related to sell cars not the refund....

I called the number for "Customer Support & Roadside Assistance" and then followed the menu prompts for Tesla Account issues.

Then I sat on hold for 1hr and 10 minutes before I gave up...

mattlach | 03. kan 2018

So, a week and a half later, and I tried again.

Finally go through to the Customer Support line after sitting on hold for a half an hour. They told me they couldn't help me, and I had to talk to sales.

Sales isn't answering their phones. It goes straight to a prerecorded message about them not being able to take calls right now, and to try back later.

Established companies don't behave like this. Something is very wrong.

All I'm saying is that in the rare occurrences when I ave dealt with companies that were going out of business in the past, this is what the experience was like.

I'm not saying they are going out of business, but it does seem clear to me that they are trying to take advantage of reservation holders money as long as possible, and taking rather extreme measures to milk their accounts payable. if I hadn't paid them something I owed them in over 30 days, I'm pretty sure they'd assess me a late fee...

There is no reason this should take so long. Established companies have mostly automated accounts payable systems. it should go straight from my click on the website to cancel my reservation to a check being automatically printed and mailed the same day, if early enough. The only explanation here is that Tesla is doing this on purpose.

Very shitty Tesla.

CASEMAN | 03. kan 2018

Have you tried reaching out through their website? https://www.tesla.com/contact Submitting your question regarding your refund there might be more useful than venting here. Good luck!

willwallm | 06. juni 2018

It has now been 3 months since I canceled my Model 3 reservation, still no refund. The reservation disappeared from my account but I did not receive a confirmation of the cancellation. I have written 2 emails with no response. I have tried calling, most recently this morning. Their automated phone recording says their call volume is too high and they are not accepting phone calls at this time. I'm starting to wonder if they will ever send the refund.

Any tips on what to do next?

Has anyone else out there waited this long?

SO | 06. juni 2018

https://www.wired.com/story/canceling-your-model-3-deposit-dont-count-on...

Some have suggested to request it on a debit card.

Perhaps try escalation on your account page.

memexe | 28. august 2018

I placed my reservation cancellation almost 6 weeks ago and didn`t received the refund in my account. Originally my Tesla account showed a confirmation of the transaction being processed but now that`s gone. In fact, any trace of my original reservation is gone. I feel left in limbo with this.

ST70 | 28. august 2018

Tesla is not refunding anymore...you've had your chance...now go away

lilbean | 28. august 2018

Haha!

zhouwei0625 | 05. september 2018

I cancelled my model 3 order in March 2018. It is now Sep, 2018 and I haven't received the refund. What can I do next?

gmkellogg | 05. september 2018

What have you done zhouwei?

Lonestar10_1999 | 05. september 2018

If you put the deposit on your credit card, you can dispute the charge and have the credit card company advocate for you.

mos6507 | 07. september 2018

Well folks, it's been real, but it's time to disengage from this soap-opera after two and a half years of death-by-a-thousand-cuts to my enthusiasm.

One thing I know about myself is I am extremely picky about quality/reliability and Tesla had a questionable track record even before the Model 3. I won't roll the dice and I won't cut Tesla slack, warranty or no warranty.

The online refund cancel page wasn't working last time I was ready to throw in the towel but a few days ago it was back again. Used my debit card to handle the transaction and was lucky enough to still be able to get it considering anecdotal reports of these things falling through the cracks. I would recommend using debit card to others.

spuzzz123 | 07. september 2018

Bye Mos it's been real see you on Monday with whatever new handle you choose.

gchen | 25. september 2018

Same here, and this is ridiculous. Requested a refund mid July and so far haven't received anything from Tesla. Tried to email a couple of times but what I got was a robot reply saying they were escalating and requesting for the update. Week after week I still haven't heard anything from Tesla. Right now I don't regret my decision of canceling the vehicle because it seems that the customer service does not exist.

BostonPilot | 25. september 2018

Hasn't anyone written a letter to Tesla's legal department with delivery confirmation? Emails can be ignored, but a paper trail starts building the case for a lawsuit. Small claims would cover a deposit and wouldn't cost you a lawyer.

Might take less time to go to court than to sit on permanent hold!

Leekimhan | 04. desember 2018

Hi, I too has requested refund in Aug and have not received my refund. No cancellation email or information exists in my Tesla account. Funny thing is, the first email I sent to Tesla Support came back asking for my reservation number to confirm which vanished after my cancellation request! Even more frustrated is the reservation number is not listed in any of the email communication when I placed my reservation down. Now, they are not responding to my emails.

Has anyone had any success in getting it back by calling or emailing? Or stop by their sales office personally to demand a refund? I am getting tire of this waiting game. Hope someone has success in getting the money back.

Thanks in advanced.

2riyaz1997 | 22. desember 2018

Hello, I Reserved Tesla model 3 on December 2016 and I canceled my Tesla model 3 reservation on October of 2018. I tried to use credit card for cancellation It did't work then I used debit which was successfully went through. It's been more than 2 month, I still haven't received my refund yet. I haven't receive any conformation regarding cancellation nor refund but luckily I have my reservation number with me. Can anyone please provide the contact information of Tesla? Thanks

jggorman | 28. desember 2018

Ditto.

kcheng | 28. desember 2018

My account showed a car price including state sales tax, so I sent that amount, but when the final MVPA came, it didn't include the state sales tax, so I overpaid by that amount. Of course, I've registered my car, and had to pay the state sales tax to the state since Tesla didn't do it. Now, I have to wait for Tesla to refund that amount. They say 3 to 5 weeks, but that was 3 ½ weeks ago. Strangely, email'd the IDA 3x that he could take the $2000+ credit and apply it to EAP, and I would pay the diff by credit card, and he never responded. Weird, since you'd think they'd take me up on the offer to get paid more before year-end.

Eperez | 15. mars 2019

I requested a refund back in Jan 2018. After a few months i emailed support and they said it was paid out Feb 23, 2018. I checked all my accounts and found no such refund, no check was received. Emailing them, now, leads to no where. They reply back saying they forwarded the email to the accounting team, but i get nothing after that. Is there anything i can do at this point?

jebidia1234 | 21. mars 2019

Hey guys, going through a bit of a nightmare with these idiots. Appears I may need to cancel the order and re-enter, but am now wondering if we should just pull the plug all together. Hard to believe this company can be run so poorly.

woster402 | 22. mars 2019

I just want to add that I requested a refund a couple of days ago and I received it today so they can do it in a timely manner. Anyway, I would be extremely miffed if I had to go through what you guys are going through.