Forums

"Orphans" -- what happens to them?

"Orphans" -- what happens to them?

Back when the Model S was first being produced, and the X, occasionally there would be someone who aimed higher than they could afford ... and at the last second for many reasons, they didn't finish taking delivery of a configured car.

Brand new, never sold, these were called "Orphans"

How did Tesla handle that? Try to match the car with someone who had a similar or identical config?

How are they handling it for the Model 3?

dsvick | 26. april 2018

Right now, with the limited configuration options and high demand it's probably pretty easy for them to match it with someone who wants the same configuration. I expect that that will be the case for the next year at least.

dsvick | 26. april 2018

After that, they'll just become inventory cars and be sold online to whoever wants them.

reid | 26. april 2018

Good question -- I'm not sure how it works with Tesla, but I'm pretty sure it's not allowed in the US, with dealer networks at least, to have a customer sign a binding purchase agreement before the car is available. (this is why it can be hard to find a dealership who will let you participate in the various custom design programs for manufacturers like BMW; the dealer can be stuck with an 'ugly' car a customer specced and backed out of at the last minute).

So while the showrooms say there are no test drives on Model 3s (which is what I was told when I bought my last car too), I can't see any reason they wouldn't let you take it for a spin after it arrives but before you sign the paperwork. (It seems silly to buy a car you've never driven, just on principle if nothing else).