Forums

charging glitch? Or normal? after the new sentry mode update

charging glitch? Or normal? after the new sentry mode update

I noticed after the sentry mode update when I charge it in at night it is continually trying to charge every hour even if it doesn't need a charge. This is even with Sentry mode off. Has anybody noticed this? It usually only tries to charge if the battery level drops a certain percentage. Which usually doesn't even try to charge during the night after the first initial charge.

TAC | March 12, 2019

Yup just experienced that too. I could hear the charge lock going from in the kitchen this morning. i noticed it after i woke the car up from the app. but maybe it was doing it all night too.

ElectricAlex | March 12, 2019

Do you have scheduled charging enabled? Is this happening outside scheduled charging time?

jeffswoodshop | March 12, 2019

I do not have schedule charging enabled. I always just charged to a specified percentage when I plug it in at night. And The reason I noticed this was my TeslaFi app showed me every time it started to charge for a approximately 1 to 2 minutes at a time every hour.

SteveWin1 | March 12, 2019

Did this happen before you tried sentry mode for the first time? My car seems to have lost the ability to "sleep" since I first tried sentry mode. It slept fine the night after I got the update and it also went to sleep between getting to work and lunch time, but at lunch time I played around with sentry mode and now it will no longer go to sleep. Sentry mode is off. It is using the same amount of power that it was using while I was testing sentry mode over lunch, but constantly since getting back to work. :/

If this happened while plugged in, it would have to charge every now and then to top itself back up.

Tesmat0 | March 12, 2019

MY M3 LR RWD has been garaged and plugged in since Christmas. Before the 2019.5.15... update it would charge for a few minutes every 2-3 days. After the update, every couple of minutes. Since I am 3000 miles away, I had set the charging limit to about 52% and it would begin charging at 47-48%. But after the strange new behavior, I upped the limit to 57%. So far it seems to have returned to a normal charging routine, kicking in at 54%. Maybe the new software won't let it go below 50%...?

this happened after playing with sentry mode, and my % is set@ 75%. Just seems very weird for it to be trying to charge every hour. I literally had like 10 notices on TeslaFi of charges

Jeff, does TeslaFi show your car actually going to sleep? Generally my car charges at night, then idles for a few minutes (12-40 usually) and then it goes to sleep until I wake it up in the morning. TeslaFi should show you this as long as you tell it to let your car attempt to sleep.

It does, and it actually did not sleep last night but it usually does. I notice today when it's parked at my wife's work it is sleeping but it is also not plugged in.

Hmmm...ok. I just noticed that mine is not sleeping and it almost always falls asleep quickly when I get back to work after lunch and its been over 2 hours now and its still awake, but maybe its sending footage to Tesla or something. I'll have to see what it does tonight.

6ooD_one | March 12, 2019

Same as Tesmat0. Car has been stored since Christmas. I have it set at 50%. Prior to update it would charge to 155 miles. When it reached about 145 a few days later, It charged up to 155.
Now at 50% it is 160, but charges again at 159 miles. I will try higher setting.

Tesmat0 | March 12, 2019

Bad hypothesis regarding 50%. Last 2 charges were about an hour apart.

Skavenuk | March 15, 2019

Came here to say exactly this. Had the new update about a week on my long range RWD and last night I kept getting notifications from the Tesla app around every hour or so that it started to charge. Seems to me like it's not going into *sleep mode*. My habits are exactly the same. I don't keep checking the app and i don't have any third party things going on such as telsafi or anything. I can only assume there's some bug with this new firmware. I have a service appointment for something unrelated set for next month so i'll bring it up then if it hasn't fixed itself.

Spartan24 | April 9, 2019

Did this get resolved for any of you? I just found this post, and posted my own this morning after waking up to several iPhone notifications that my 3 was charging every hour while I slept. I recently updated to 2019.8.5. As per my usual routine, I did the two button reboot (including a separate one with foot held on brake), and I did the full power down for two minutes before turning back on... things I do after every update or when I encounter glitches. But I did those things before plugging it in for the night (I was experiencing different glitches I attributed to the update), and this is what I woke to. weird.