Forums

Ok so, I would love to work for Tesla.

Ok so, I would love to work for Tesla.

Hey forum!

This is a shot in the dark, but this seemed like the best place to post this. I hope you guys don't mind me putting this hopelessly self-centered topic up for discussion on here, but I've been dreaming of getting out to Palo Alto for the past couple years and I'm looking for some ideas, contacts or methods to help me get my foot in the door.

I've been scanning the jobs postings for a while now and its pretty patchy, with most positions requiring several years of experience and no real way to contact someone in HR, so I'm hoping some of you guys on here will have had some personal experience with the company, maybe work there now, and can give me a bit of advice. I know Tesla Motors is planning on a rapid expansion over the next couple years as they roll out the Model S, Model X and "Gen3" and I'd love to make the cut, hopefully in the sales/ownership experience or marketing departments.

For a little background on myself, I'm pretty much a huge car guy who has come to care a lot about climate change in the past couple years. I'm graduating from the University of Connecticut in December with a BA in Environmental Economics and Public Policy with a minor in Business. I had an internship in Washington DC last summer put me in touch with the current political and cultural response to the threat of global warming, both in the United States and abroad. That actually makes it sound way more boring than it actually was, I was pretty much emailing and calling people and organizations in other countries all summer to see what could be done locally or politically to mitigate climate change, based on tons of research on how the country worked and how climate change would affect them. There was a lot of trying to understand Caribbean accents and decipher emails from Mongolia but it was pretty awesome. I've got a lot of knowledge on international initiatives to cut carbon emissions and the role of taxes and subsidies that come along with them. Mostly I'm just a car guy though. I love driving, old Porsches and setting hot laps in GT5. I follow F1 religiously and spend way too much time on Jalopnik and The Car Lounge. If I told you how many car pictures I have in my screensaver folder you probably wouldn't believe me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any and all advice is more than welcome.

-Andrew F.