Forums

Summon not working....ever.

Summon not working....ever.

I have yet to get Summon to connect. Pretty frustrating. M3 is connected to WiFi and the router is less than 15 feet away so there is no reason for it to be having connection issues. Any ideas?

gmkellogg | 9 augusti 2018

Have you tried connecting using the LTE?

EVfan | 9 augusti 2018

Yep, no luck.

gmkellogg | 9 augusti 2018

Having any other issues? Like unlocking doors, etc? What version are you on?

jwat14 | 9 augusti 2018

It may just be your phone. I kept getting an error message stating that the feature had stopped because the proximity sensor on my phone was covered (?). I tried a different phone and it works fine.

EVfan | 9 augusti 2018

I did get the proximity sensor message 1 out of like 20 attempts but I have a new iPhone X and the proximity sensor works just fine. This is a Tesla issue, not a phone issue. My wife has an iPhone 7 Plus and same issue.

No other known issues. Everything else with the phone functions as it should.

JayInJapan | 10 augusti 2018

Move your car to another location and try it.

hokiegir1 | 10 augusti 2018

Our first attempt failed miserably. We later realized it was because the car was on a slight hill (parking lot sloped a little). Before our next attempt (that worked), we also changed it to the "close" setting instead of "regular" (might have terms wrong, but you can get the idea in the settings). At first, we thought it just had to be on that setting. Then we tried again elsewhere and it was another sloped area. That's when I searched and found it will fail on any kind of hill.

ONI222 | 10 augusti 2018

@JayInJapan

You just made me laugh in the middle of a meeting....

Tesla-David | 10 augusti 2018

I have the same issue described by @EVfan. I cannot get the car to connect, and get error message after it times out. Very frustrating. We also have MS and Summon’s works well with no problems.

Tesla-David | 10 augusti 2018

Wow, I stand corrected, just tried it again and it worked. Not sure what happened,but happy now.;0)

wade.wilson | 10 augusti 2018

Try it in an open area first.

badaman | 10 augusti 2018

Try turning on/off bluetooth, phone and reboot M3.

JAD | 10 augusti 2018

Mine works, but it really takes too long for all the connections. Hopefully they will speed it up. The S connects much quicker with everything in the app. I would have guessed the newer 3 would be better, but I bet it improves with time. Really cool how I can actually say and believe my car will get better in time.

dd.micsol | 10 augusti 2018

did you play for AP? That could be your issue.

jefjes | 10 augusti 2018

I've only tried mine once just to see it work but it had no problem backing out of our garage but when I just wanted to pull it straight back in, it didn't like the clearances that it had just pulled out of. After about 3-4 attempts it finally pulled back in but I suspect it may be a difference in the way the sensors interpret things front and rear. Will probably get better over time but I only see myself using summon to back out of a parking spot that some a-hole blocked my driver's door when I was away from my car, preventing me from getting back in.

EVfan | 10 augusti 2018

Yes, I paid for EAP.

walesjanet | 10 augusti 2018

Hi, new to forum...
I just got update 2018.28.1 yesterday and thought Summon was going to be included. But alas...
Which update includes Summon?

CharleyBC | 10 augusti 2018

@walesjanet: Summon is in 28.1. But it's an EAP feature, so if you didn't buy EAP, that would explain it.

hokiegir1 | 10 augusti 2018

I believe it's also no available to those in Canada yet due to a fob requirement...

svaradi | 4 oktober 2018

I have the same problem with Summon. Once it was successfully in/out garage, but never after. Bluetooth is working well because every other control is working 100% (Unlock/Lock, Flash, Honk, Front Trunk, Trunk) When I want to Summon it says: Connecting to your vehicle. Beside the Wifi icon on the upper right corner see a moving wheel for a while, but stop later try again, no connection. Several attempt failed. Finally I realized the phone proximate sensor should activate. So I went out the range try to Summon, it says failed because out of proximate range. I went to close to my car and voila, everything is working again.
About two three times after this happend, but at least I know ONE work out for this problem.

calvin940 | 4 oktober 2018

@hokiegir1 fob requirement?

Bigpants | 29 november 2018

I have a pretty steady 30% failure rate with the summon feature. I have tried every single suggestion made on multiple forums with zero success. It’s extremely frustrating and one of the biggest disappointments of this otherwise remarkable automobile.
I planned on using this feature regularly because of the size limitations of my garage, so when it fails, it is a pretty large inconvienience. I would never use “summon” as a selling point. It’s completely unreliable and gigantic waste of time.

vaideeshn | 29 januari 2019

Its happens to me all the time, my failure rate is closer to 95% I assumed it was a known issue since this was still in Beta, like svaradi said above everything else on the app works just fine.

SalisburySam | 30 januari 2019

Early on in my ownership (July, 2018) Summon actually worked about half the time on earlier firmware. Since 46 or so and now on 50.6 Summon fails every time. We call it the “Don’t Summon” feature...fun to talk about, doesn’t happen. Tried all the tricks, still no joy. We submit bug reports immediately after a failure, but have begun to give up on that as well. Our Model 3 will have its first tire rotation due soon, if we do that at the Charlotte service center, I’ll mention the Summon issues and see what their response is. Really envy those for whom it works reliably.

edward.iskra | 30 januari 2019

From what I understood, your WiFi access point is irrelevant for Summon - it insists on having a good Bluetooth connection to your car. That's how it knows you're actually there.

Your phone can be connected through WiFi or Cellular to your car and will give you stats, will let you flash and honk, and you can do those from miles away - but it will not let you Summon unless it knows you are standing a few feet away, and the way it knows that is by insisting on a Bluetooth connection.

Things to try:

1. Walk all the way up to your car to establish a solid Bluetooth connection and then start the Summon.
2. If you still can't connect, try turning Bluetooth on/off from your phone and see if it connects.
3. If you haven't rebooted your phone lately, try that. (When my Google Pixel 2 XL hasn't been rebooted for more than a few days, it starts to get wonky about connecting to the car until I reboot it.)

Once you connect with Summon, you can walk away and see how far you can go while maintaining the connection.

TrexTesla | 6 augusti 2019

I've started having this trouble. Got my car in June. Summon worked 90% of the time without issue. Recently, it won't work at all. Two things have changed. One, a software update, which could explain it. And two, I added my wife's phone as a key. I'm wondering, since the Summon feature is a blue tooth feature, whether it's not working properly because of either crossing signals with her phone in the house while I'm next to the car, or she's not even around...I am going to disconnect her phone as a key and see if that makes any difference. If not, than it's likely the newest update.

sethlsams | 6 augusti 2019

Is it on a hill? Even if its on a slight hill then Summon will not work. Which is why I can never use it in my driveway to pull into my garage but I can Summon it out of my garage

dmanincali | 6 augusti 2019

I no longer use summon. Ended up snapping the driver side mirror off of my Model X by cutting too close to the garage door. Mind you I did have it on the mode that didn't require a continuous press. Yes it was totally my fault but after that incident I no longer use it. Never tried it on my Model 3. Perhaps they're now using the side view cameras and it's greatly improved but I'm not willing to risk it.

Jtwo | 6 augusti 2019

It works sporadically at best. Most of the time it engages, maybe moves a little, then stalls. This makes using Enhanced Summon (when it's available) a no-go for me. I'd hate for my car to be stuck in a parking lot and not doing anything.

Tronguy | 6 augusti 2019

Haven't had problems with Summon since starting to use it lasts year. It backs out of the garage just fine despite it being a tight fit. Did it this morning, in fact.
Going back in is another story, but it's not really the car's fault: There's a couple 1" step ups between the driveway and the garage floor and the car doesn't want to apply the power to get over both of them. Neither does my daughter, so I'm not faulting the car.
Never had an issue with scraping rear view mirrors, either.
Samsung S8 with Android 9 and 24.4.

h2ev | 6 augusti 2019

Summon has never worked for me since I bought the car in November. When it sees where my concrete garage floor meets the black driveway, it stops and closes the garage door, yeah with the trunk directly under the garage door. Tried it recently on the last update and it's still the same way. I'd have to run back and trigger the sensor for the door to reverse before it destroys the trunk lid.

TrexTesla | 6 augusti 2019

No hill in my driveway. Worked great up till a few weeks ago when the new software update came out. Seems to keep losing connection with my phone. When i thought about it, I the only other change around that time was adding my wife's phone. I just tried it with her bluetooth turned off and no joy...disconnects. I am curious, I also added aftermarket carbon fiber caps to the AP side cameras (although RPM Tesla calls them turn signal caps for AP2) a couple of weeks ago. Could it be there are proximity sensors in that unit besides the camera that is now getting fouled? Anybody else add them on?

TrexTesla | 7 augusti 2019

Latest test of Summon. Disconnected my wife's phone from bluetooth...installed a home wi-fi mesh unit in the garage, and deleted/re-installed the Tesla app on my phone and summon still won't work...keeps losing connection. Gets all ready to move, then STB. I'm thinking it's the latest update that has done mine in..all was working pretty flawlessly before that...or the added carbon fiber molding over the AP2 sensors....though they just fit over the silver part and not cover any of the camera or anything else that wasn't covered before.

coselectric | 8 augusti 2019

If you have a case on your phone, try Summon with the case removed. If it is more reliable without the case, then the issue is the phone's proximity sensor (this was my problem; Galaxy Note 8). I put a different case on the phone, and since then Summon has been quite reliable. Not saying this is the only reason Summon might not work, but it's definitely one of the possibilities.

hokiegir1 | 8 augusti 2019

I've had trouble when my phone is on wifi at times. Try turning that off and just using your phone's LTE connection and see if its any better. Sometimes, particularly at home if you are at the edge of the network, the connection is fine for basic usage, but not strong enough for car operations.

pilotsmith69 | 8 augusti 2019

I am having the same issues and the CS told me nothing can be done its BETA!

PTdenver | 8 augusti 2019

Guess i'm glad i have an early crappy build lol, works most of the time even on inclines? ipnone 7 plus, LR RWD

aaw | 14 september 2019

Same issue with the "Summon" mode on my new model 3. When I press (and keep pressed) the reverse on the summon option, the mirrors fold, the light go on and the car moves back a foot or two, then stops, lights off and a message on my phone that the "link got disconnected". I repeat the procedure. Same issue. Then, you just give up. Any insight to this issue? Is this something to contact CS about?

apkgila.com | 14 september 2019

Is it on a hill? Even if its on a slight hill then Summon will not work. Which is why I can never use it in my driveway to pull into my garage but I can Summon it out of my garage
https://apkgila.com/lucky-patcher-apk/
https://apkgila.com/last-day-on-earth-mod-apk/
https://apkgila.com/kinemaster-pro-mod-apk/
https://apkgila.com/plants-vs-zombies-2-v7-4-1-mod-apk/
https://apkgila.com/cara-download-video-di-facebook/

aaw | 15 september 2019

No, it is not on a hill and is my garage. The problem is consistency. It works for a few feet or a meter, then loose contact. I can see if not working or working. What I can't understand is the lack of consistency.

billlake2000 | 15 september 2019

Get a ranger to look at it?

DavidL67 | 24 september 2019

Summon fails for me all the time. I've tried about 15 times in the past few weeks in three different parking lots. My wife and I both use our phones as keys (each with our own Tesla accounts). Regardless, I'm hoping with the next release that this problem finally gets resolved!

meramannkehnelaga303 | 25 september 2019

Early on in my ownership (July, 2018) Summon actually worked about half the time on earlier firmware. Since 46 or so and now on 50.6 Summon fails every time. We call it the “Don’t Summon” feature...fun to talk about, doesn’t happen. Tried all the tricks, still no joy. We submit bug reports immediately after a failure, but have begun to give up on that as well. Our Model 3 will have its first tire rotation due soon, if we do that at the Charlotte service center, I’ll mention the Summon issues and see what their response is. Really envy those for whom it works reliably.https://www.idaptweb.com/checkered-phone-cases/

KAM6 | 25 september 2019

I'd suggest waiting for the next update as it is supposed to contain advanced summon which might resolve your current issues, unless moving your car forward/reverse 25 feet is that essential.

SteveWin1 | 25 september 2019

Kind of similar situation. Summon used to work most of the time for me, now it fails probably 70% of the time. It pretty much always fails when I'm trying to show off the car's more unique features to friends. It just ends up making Tesla look unpolished. I took my friends' kids for a ride the other day and they commented on how "buggy" the car was because summon didn't work and then it kept showing all the cars next to us spinning around. I tried to tell them that they were "dancing" but they weren't impressed. Ha. They did like the acceleration and fart mode though.

SteveWin1 | 25 september 2019

Kind of similar situation. Summon used to work most of the time for me, now it fails probably 70% of the time. It pretty much always fails when I'm trying to show off the car's more unique features to friends. It just ends up making Tesla look unpolished. I took my friends' kids for a ride the other day and they commented on how "buggy" the car was because summon didn't work and then it kept showing all the cars next to us spinning around. I tried to tell them that they were "dancing" but they weren't impressed. Ha. They did like the acceleration and fart mode though.

ODWms | 25 september 2019

I will say, the feature works the vast majority of the time for me, as opposed to maybe 50% of the time before.