Forums

Battery "miles" vs actual miles - I'm only getting half. Is this normal?

Battery "miles" vs actual miles - I'm only getting half. Is this normal?

For every mile on my 3's odomitor, I've burned through 2 "miles" off the battery. I know the battery miles is an estimate and spirited driving can kill it... but it's showing my average Wh/mile as 266... which should let me get much closer to the 310 the battery is supposed to provide. I'm not driving particularly quickly either. Just simple chill surface-street city driving in moderate traffic for the most part. Is it lying to me about usage? Or do I have a phantom drain that's stealing literally half my battery life? Or is this normal? Is the real world range closer to 160?

Xerogas | 4 september 2018

@Meera: real world range is 310 or better. Lots of threads here with people impressed with the accuracy and efficiency of Model 3.

Check with your service center to find out why you’re experiencing something different.

gcklo | 4 september 2018

I think I am getting more than the specified range.

Xerogas | 4 september 2018

@Meera: do you have a performance model, or AWD? Those are not as efficient as RWD. BTW, 266wh/m is a bit ‘spirited’ on average.

aperfectecho | 4 september 2018

Will depend on many factors, including how aggressively you drive, outside temp, braking/regen, etc. I drove my AWD model 3 to work, RT is about 70 miles. I got about 100 mile drain on the battery.
Car is brand new, and VERY HOT here in Northern VA. Not concerned in the slightest. We have an S, and my wife (primary driver) has noticed this in the cold, and very hot weather, as well as driving style.

BTC | 4 september 2018

@Xerogas RWD. What's a typical average to achieve 310?

Rt002k | 4 september 2018

Is it like you drove 30 miles and it dropped 60 or you filled up Monday, today is Friday, you've driven 100 miles and it's down 200? If the latter and you're in a hot area, could be the overtemp kicking in. If the former, I'd get it looked at. AC will kill range, but not that dramatically.

BTC: 242 will you get 310 miles.

BTC | 4 september 2018

I've got it on "normal" (highest setting) regen, no creep. It's warm, but not crazy hot here. 70's for the most part... sometimes breaks 80.

I'd get it looked at, seems a bit much for phantom drain. Another user observed that when their phone was kept far from the car, but barely within range it would drain faster than if the phone was kept close to the car.

What's your SW version? I believe a few updates ago people also remarked at seeing a reduction in their phantom drain.

BTC | 4 september 2018

(Sorry... switched accounts... I started this thread under "Meera", my wife's account... still waiting on them to merge our accounts since they bafflingly don't let couples have different accounts that share access to each-others cars).

BTC | 4 september 2018

32.2 (the car is just a couple weeks old, and they updated it right before delivery)

sroh | 4 september 2018

@BTC, art 266 watts per mile, you should not be getting that kind of drop in range. Your 310 battery range should get you 282 miles.

Do you have cabin overheat protection turned on? I found that really hurt range so I turned it off.

BTC | 4 september 2018

I had read that. Turned it off a few days ago to see if that was it. Didn't make a difference. Don't think it's been hot enough for it to kick in here.

If you're driving 80 with the AC on full blast, windows open, and seat heaters on I could see getting it that low.

I did get worse efficiency, around the 260's like you are getting, in the first 1,500 miles and it has greatly improved since then. However, my battery miles didn't plummet like that.

ST70 | 4 september 2018

@BTC- ~75 KWh battery....and 310 miles....do the math!

BTC | 4 september 2018

Yeah, I'm seeing a very literal and consistent 2:1 ratio between where my battery "miles" estimate settles (seems to drop a few miles pretty quickly after parking) and what the odometer shows I actually drove. Happy to hear this isn't normal. Means they'll likely be able to fix it. I'll take it to service. Thanks all!

billlake2000 | 4 september 2018

BTC: "70's for the most part... sometimes breaks 80." You call that warm? I want to move there for the summer. Where are ya?

drrock75k | 4 september 2018

I posted on this previously. I obtained 75-80% actual road miles compared to battery miles on freeway and country road trips. This does not take into account 'vampire' loss while the car is just sitting.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 4 september 2018

It might just be that the tires are new.

spuzzz123 | 5 september 2018

@Red I dont think his wh/mile would miscalculate like that if it were simply new tires or some other external factor like conditions, weather, etc. the only thing that would explain that would be vampire loss since the trip calculator doesn’t factor that into its efficiency.

OP Next time you have a somewhat long drive you should observe start and end kWh as well as mileage. See if it’s truly half. Then take note of kWh before and after a long shutoff. Service can also look at logs etc but it’s good for you to know. This is far from normal.

gadget63 | 5 september 2018

I'm on a road trip for the past 3 weeks in Florida. I have put 2000 miles on since leaving home in South Carolina. I am averaging 318 miles range since starting this trip. That includes city, highway, and stop and go traffic. I even leave the AC on most times while shopping. Granted I am driving only at the speed limits, and I am on chill mode, so I would say something is wrong with the mileage you're getting.

gadget63 | 5 september 2018

I forgot to mention, I have the RWD only model with EAP. 18" wheels with the aero caps removed.

Bighorn | 5 september 2018

Sounds like you’re expecting rated range to be applicable over several days. It is not. It is for trip planning.

Iwantmy3 | 5 september 2018

If the calculated W/m shows 266, then the poor range is not the result of operating the car. It seems much more likely that the range loss is happening when the car is "off". How many miles per day are you driving? How much do you lose while it is parked? A car that isn't driven much could easily show a disproportionately high loss from phantom drain.

ST70
You are assuming a usable battery size of 75 KWH. This has never been stated anywhere. After 8000 miles of driving, most of that being longer distances, I am now fairly certain that the usable portion of the battery is between 73.5 and 74 KWH. I achieve rated range at 236 W/m. Having said that, I achieved 236 W/m this weekend while doing 75 mph with A/C. This is better then I would have ever expected.

@iwant
I came up with 74 based on Bjorn’s 310 mile drive. Haven’t bothered to check mine since it’s so capable of long distances.

And 234

SCCRENDO | 5 september 2018

If you have the Remote S app it will calculate total useable kWh. It is around 75 kWh on the LR Model 3. I think OP should fully charge and go on an uninterrupted long drive and then do the calculation. If he gets the same there is either a problem with the battery or the calibration. It then may be worth running through as much of the battery range as possible on at least 3 occasions to see if it will recalibrate. If it only happens when he leaves the car for a few days there is obviously high phantom loss. In either event he should probably take it in to Tesla to work it out.

Take it in for expected behavior?!

ST70 | 5 september 2018

@Iwantmy3 - yes I know about the battery....that's why I used "~"

No_ICE | 5 september 2018

Very strange. I'm averaging 220 W/mile over 6,700 miles in the Maryland area (RWD, 18” Aeros, climate set to 72, cabin overheat protection on). If you haven't already done so, try turning on Chill mode and checking your tire pressures. If you've only had the car a few weeks, have you happened to drive a lot in the rain? Rain will impact range.

MichaelB00012 | 5 september 2018

On a similar topic, has anyone experienced a severe battery drain from overheat protection? From 730-1230 today I believe I lost 30 miles of range. It was warm, but even at 1230 the outside temp wasn't even 90 yet. I realize the interior was warmer than that, but 30 miles in 5 hours seemed highly unusual. I plan to check it several more times to see, but it seemed odd to me. I do have overheat turned on, and I intend to leave it on - I don't need the car frying while I'm stuck at work!

Fazluke | 5 september 2018

According to the manual, up to 105 F cabin temp is acceptable. And yes, 30 m of battery drainage within 4-5 hours has been reported with and without overheat on.

amceachin | 5 september 2018

A/C does not seem to affect range as much as people assume. I live in sunny socal and keep the A/C on auto at 69 or 70 degrees. After 1600 miles I’m at 229 watt hours per mile. Some of that is due to driving in rush hour traffic, but most trips are well under 240.

Daryl | 6 september 2018

If you're only driving short distances, I wouldn't worry about it. If you drive 6 miles and it shows 10 miles decrease on battery range, that's too short a distance to be accurate, especially with a new car that hasn't had a chance to calibrate itself yet.

If you're driving 150 miles and losing 300 miles of range, that's another story and should be looked into.

Try this: Charge your battery to 100% one time. This will help calibrate the system. I know other drivers who had the same problem you describe (for short distances), and after charging fully one time it was much more accurate.

Tesla2018 | 6 september 2018

I charged to 245 miles on Monday night and drive 15 miles each day to work. After 3 days it shows I have driven 95 miles and have 85 miles of range left. So I have lost 65 miles of range. My car is parked outside in direct sun at 95 degrees for 9 hours during work with cabin overheat ac on which is what is causing the drain.
I went on one long trip doing about 75 mph and went 240 miles each way with ac on and got about 260wpm and had about 30 or 40 miles of range left. I do about 10 miles to work doing 70 mph with aerocovers off.

georgehawley.fl.us | 6 september 2018

@Tesla2018: my highway driving energy use matches your experience: 260 watt hours per mile/75 mph--RWD, 19" wheels, two people in the car.

According to the EPA available energy from the 75 kWh LR battery pack when fully charged is 78.2 kWh.

fbrewer | 3 mars 2019

Ok, we just did our first road trip in our AWD Model 3. Very dissappointed.

The distance from our home in Leander, Tx to the supercharger in Sweetwater, Tx is 227 miles. No problem - right! Think again.

A lot of the trip is on 75 mph roads, so I set 80 mph on the cruise control. After 10 minutes, I got the warning to slow to under 75 mph to make our destination. OK, I slowed to 74 mph. About 5 minutes later, I got the warning to slow to under 65 mph to make our destination. OK, I slowed to 64 mph. About 5 minutes later, I got the warning to slow to under 60 mph. I slowed to 59 mph.

Man, did I get some stares as drivers eventually passed and sped back up to 80 mph.

We made it to the supercharger in Sweetwater. We started the trip with 307 miles on the battery and traveled 227 miles on the road and ended with 15 miles remaining on the battery -- we lost 65 miles along the way!

Unacceptable.

On the way home, we again stopped in Sweetwater to charge. After an hour and 5 minutes, we had 295 miles on the battery. The distance to home was 227 miles. I drove at 59 mph from Sweetwater to home

I watched the batter range like a hawk and was able to determine we were losing 2.6 additional batter miles every 10 miles of actual travel.

My calculations showed we would get home with 4 miles remaining.

Fortunately, we found a Best Western Plus about 45 miles from home in Lampassas, Tx and decided to stop and get about 15 more miles.

We plugged into their slow charger (25 miles per hour charge rate), and went to Pizza Hut.

About 50 minutes later we had the additional 15 miles and headed home.

We pulled into the garage with 18 miles showing on the battery.

A normal 5 1/2 hour drive turned into 9 hours.

We will NOT be taking any more road trips in this car.

Does anyone think my battery has a problem?

The outside temp was 45 degrees, we kept the heat inside at 68 degrees, and no seat warmers on.

Bighorn | 3 mars 2019

@fbrewer
The range is based on EPA data. You can’t achieve it when you’re driving significantly faster or have the heat going. Other factors I’ve had to account for in Texas driving are headwinds and elevation changes. Sounds like you had unrealistic expectations. After 258k miles in Teslas, you couldn’t pay me to take another car.

don.lind | 3 mars 2019

@Bighorn - I think someone should write up a response that has all of the things to know about not getting the expected range. Not saying you. Just saying... :-)

@fbrewer - a few things off the top of my head.

Do you have 19 or 20 inch wheels rather than the 18 inch aero wheels? If so, that can be a %5 to 7% hit on range.
Did you pull the aero hubcap off your model 3? That will be a range hit as well. (3% or 4%?)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/aero-wheel-covers-do-they-add-ra...

Rain? increases rolling resistance... lowers range. I don't have a number for that.

Driving 70 and 80 will definitely hurt range (in ICE cars, too).

Any electricity used to heat a seat (or blow warm air) is electricity that taken away from range. The heater/blower is probably one of the biggest "range killers" in winter. Seat heaters are more energy efficient.

The "EPA rated range" on a LR AWD is 310 (for a mix of city and highway driving). The EPA says the city range is 320 miles and the highway range is 297 miles. https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-mid-range-highway-251-miles/

For supercharging, you generally want to supercharge to maybe 80 percent "full" at most. After 80 percent (or so), the charge rate slows down a lot so as to not hurt the battery. Depending upon how low your battery is, a 30 or 35 minute supercharge will add well over 200 miles (to a LR battery).

Fire up the "energy app" while driving and see how many watts per mile you're getting.
See how much energy is used when turning on the heater or the heated seats.
Or when driving 50 vs. 60 vs. 70 vw. 80 mph.
Or when driving up a long hill.
240 watts per mile (or so) is the rated energy use. That'll get you the rated range of 310.
Turn on your heater? You won't get 240 watts per mile.
Drive 80 mph, you won't get your 240 watts per mile.
Accelerate hard? It's definitely fun, but you won't get 240 watts per mile.
I think this video explains the energy app pretty nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUV24jbH-rQ

That energy app will do a good job of telling you how much energy you're using and what range you should expect, based on how you're driving right then.

mr.mark.tarver | 4 mars 2019

I recently bought my model 3 performance and I am getting about 160 Miles of 280-290 charge. I do however average 324 KwM. I once put it in Chill mode on the way home but I did not see much improvement in the mileage. we had the polar vortex in NYC. Also I park on the street, I do not park in a garage so the battery can get cold.I was told once the weather warms up I should see better mileage. But maybe this is something more.

hokiegir1 | 4 mars 2019

"The outside temp was 45 degrees, we kept the heat inside at 68 degrees, and no seat warmers on."

This, right here, is enough to impact the range as you noted. You'd have been better off with seat heaters and no inside heat.

As an example, hubby was driving this morning. He had the heat at 68. He was running about 340 wh/m. He turned the heater off and almost immediately dropped into the low 300's (and he was not driving slowly).

If you plan to do another long trip, which I do recommend, plot it out on abetterrouteplanner.com first. With my average usage (265 wh/m) and leaving with 90%, it includes a stop at the Cisco supercharger for about 5 minutes to add about 15% range and roll into Sweetwater with 15%, but that also was at 68*. For cooler temps, I'd probably give myself a slightly larger buffer.

kcheng | 4 mars 2019

@fbrewer, abetterrouteplanner, says even if you start at 100%SOC, in order to make it to Sweetwater, you have to go 75mph, at most. That's not factoring in heater use or wind. The big factor in why you aren't getting 300 miles is probably elevation, you go up 2000ft.

On the return trip, abetterrouteplanner says you should have made it easily, as your energy usage should have been around 227Wh/m, better than the EPA rating. The only thing I can think of is a headwind.

If you think your battery is bad, I'd spring for the Stats app, as it gives you more detail on your energy use, and may give you more data on why or why aren't you getting better range.

jeffshops1 | 28 augusti 2019

My Tesla battery is not working properly and I have so far been given the runaround by the company. I have had the car only 2 months and I plug it in every time it is parked in my garage as instructed. I charge the battery to 90 percent of its 240 range (212 - 213miles) as suggested. Every time I have driven the car, I get about half the expected range, so that if I drive 6 miles I will be down to a range of 200 or 199. There is almost no difference if I run the a/c at 70 or 74 degrees, whether or not the regenerative braking is set on high or low or whether I am going uphill or downhill. I never get anywhere close to the expected range. I have leased plug - in Prius's and a volt and my range was always at least reasonably close (with the Volt it was dead on accurate or better than advertised). I am very unhappy with this ca's performance so far. Either something is wrong (but the service department says it is running properly) or the company is falsely advertising the range of the battery. I set up an appointment with the service department and they said they would be monitoring the vehicle remotely before the appointment, then two days before the appointment rescheduled it for a different day without contacting me first (via text) and then texted to the effect that there is nothing wrong with the car and they didn't want to waste my time bringing it in as it was just fine.

If I had known this vehicle had a range of only 120 miles I would never have purchased it and will be looking for a lawyer who handles "lemon law" and fraudulent advertising cases as soon as I finish this sentence. Not sure what else to do when the service department tells me the car is fine.

Bighorn | 28 augusti 2019

@jeff
You're judging the battery's range by extrapolating a 6 mile drive?! That's your problem.

raqball | 28 augusti 2019

I've noticed the same over the past week or so.. I think something wonky is going on as I have the same exact issue... I charged yesterday and drove home. It's 4 miles from the supercharger to my house. The car reported using 10%...

Since charging I've went 27 miles and they car is reporting having used 25%... I do not have sentry on at home, I do not have cabin protection on and I've been told I drive like a little old lady...

I do not think it's properly reporting so I am not going to stress out on it yet.. I am on 2019.28.3.1 and have an SR+..

raqball | 28 augusti 2019

Bighorn | August 28, 2019
@jeff
You're judging the battery's range by extrapolating a 6 mile drive?! That's your problem.
------------------------------
I had no issues until I updated to 28.3.1 I wonder if that's the issue with reporting the %? I am not worried about it as I assume the car is fine and just not properly reporting at this point..

Eazyndn | 28 augusti 2019

I’ve had my M3 LR RWD for over a year now, and have around 12000 miles on it. I have noticed during this time that I only achieve 75-80% of the rated range on my odometer. My wh/m is always around 250. I drive on the freeway at 75-80, and always have my A/C set to 70, and I’m in the Los Angeles area. Anyway, this always puzzled me, so I made an appointment with the Service Center. When I went there, he Tech had already reviewed my logs and data and I was advised everything was normal. Same song and dance about EPA compared to actual driving conditions, (same as in a ICE car ) but never answered my question about why I was still at 250wh/m and getting such a discrepancy in actual range. Apparently there are losses not accounted for in the wh/m calculations. Came back without a real answer other than battery was fine. I’m still puzzled as to why I average 250wh/m , but still lose so much range. FYI , I lose only a few miles per day if it’s just parked. Any thoughts ? Or a clearer explanation as to why my wh/m is fairly normal?

Thanks for any input.

lbowroom | 28 augusti 2019

"Same song and dance about EPA compared to actual driving conditions"

It's not a song and dance, it's physics. EPA estimates are not based on driving 75-80mph with the AC at 70 for any vehicle. Someone help me out here. Isn't the rated range based on 227wh/m?

Bighorn | 28 augusti 2019

310 mile range is based on 234 Wh/m. Any battery or cabin cooling, amongst other things like sentry and background draw, while parked will chew up a bit of unaccounted for energy. Really, the range is about making a trip of it, not how much is in the tank for commuting to work all week long. Really basic concept that is foreign to a lot of new owners.

lbowroom | 28 augusti 2019

Especially on short trips in the summer when your cabin temp starts out at 130 and uses up a big chunk to cool the cabin in the first 5 miles, then you get out and count miles.

Pages