Forums

Satisfaction with Tesla Solar?

Satisfaction with Tesla Solar?

Is anyone satisfied with their Tesla Solar install? Dissatisfied?

I've just got a bid and am looking at doing the install, but my HOA is pushing me not to do it because of how bad the reviews are of Tesla/SolarCity . . .

Input appreciated!

spockagain34 | 24 oktober 2018

I love my system. I don't really understand where all the "bad" reviews are coming from. I think they're just coming from other installers. I got quotes from several installers and every single one of them literally trash talked Tesla, but everyone I've talked to who has a Tesla system is pretty happy with it.

maztec | 24 oktober 2018

Thanks @spockagain34. Nice to see some love for the system out there.

Patrick | 24 oktober 2018

Some of the installers and Tesla partners here in FL have become disenchanted due to extended lead times. Hope this improves as more GF capacity comes online....

grclopton | 1 november 2018

I just got mine installed today. We anticipate having the inspections done next week at which point we cant turn it on. They did a 104. Mw install in about 8 hours. The installers were very conscientious and worked very had to make sure we were satisfied. We did get delayed in the installation process, but that was only due to the intense demand for these systems. On the suggestion of our local PUD I got other bids. What I discovered was no one was offering the level of technology of the Tesla system and the competitors offered no price advantage. They also emphasized their guarantees, but being small local businesses, I am highly dubious that they will be around for the duration of their warranty. At any rate, we will soon be powering our Model 3 with sunshine!

grclopton | 1 november 2018

That was supposed to be 10.4 Mw.

PFP | 3 november 2018

Kw maybe?

steveturner | 5 november 2018

I have a 10.5Kvh system with 2 Powerwalls installed by Tesla and I am very happy with it.

subbarao.vadapalli | 5 november 2018

I also have a 10KW solar (installed by SolarCity, before the acquisition), but I am happy with the solar, and am currently planning to get a Powerwall, once my Model 3 arrives..

khoidang | 6 november 2018

How is The solar installation priced?

PFP | 7 november 2018

It is priced per installed watt. So I am putting up a 14.945kW system. We are using 49 of the black Hanwha (Chinese) made panels rated at 305 watts each. So 49 x 305w x $3.20/w = $47,824 After the a $4500 utility rebate and 30% tax credit, the final price of my supposed system will be $30,326.80.

Now the 315w all black (no white lines) Panasonic/Tesla Panels made at the Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo are priced with a 15¢ premium per panel, so $3.35 per watt. So for the same $, I am putting up 3 more panels making more power.
Of course all this is supposing that then can install it before the EOY as they have to for me to get the rebates from the utility. Plus I am supposed to get 2 PW. They are supposed to call me today to schedule the install......

grclopton | 7 november 2018

Yeah, Kw, not Mw. Oops!

PFP | 12 november 2018

….AND FAIL. They called on the 7th to schedule my install.....went over a few things and "we can get you on the schedule for Tuesday....MARCH 5th......Ahhhhhh, NO. So they know I have to have it installed before EOY else the rebate from the Utility gets pulled. And that is the best they can do. They say they are booked solid. They have 3 crews to do the whole Dallas-Fort Worth Area. That is laughable.
They say they are "TRAVELING" crews to Dallas soon to help out with the backlog and that may open a spot but I am not holding my breath.
This combined with the silly delays in the paperwork process makes my quite apprehensive to use them. If they had told me upfront that they couldn't do it this year (they told me they could even tho the contract says 4-6 months), I would not have gone down this road on a flight of fancy.
I really want to do this system. If they can pull it off this year, then I will do it, but probably not elsewise. The utility wont even announce rebates until February for 2019, if any as they detest solar.

sschaem | 12 november 2018

Tesla is a mixed bag... amazing products, but once it leaves the factory its a gamble.

If you are lucky you get assign to a stellar coordinator that cares, flip side as Elon would characterize it, you enter "customer hell"

I would say for pure solar panel install, go third party. Tesla bring nothing but problems. Tesla hire third parties for electrician, uses third party equipment, and got a really bad pipeline. And if anything go off track, you better be a hands on person.

I'm an investor so I'm being extra patient, but I cant imagine anyone else dealing with Tesla.

I really hope Tesla is aware of the damage they are inflicting while trying to maximize profits... And that all the negative experience is worth it.

Az_Rael | 15 november 2018

@PFP: you are right to be concerned. I ordered my Solar + PW system Sept 2017 from Tesla Energy with the idea to get the install done before the end of the year. Find out in December (too late to switch to someone else) that March 2018 was my install window. Kept Tesla Energy since I was being forced into a 2018 install. Ordered the 315W black on black panels for aesthetics. Crew showed up and installed the 325W white line panels (I got “upgraded” when my panels were out of stock, but no one asked me). Took another month for them to come out and replace the panels with what we ordered. Took yet another month for me to figure out that Tesla Energy hadn’t actually submitted my PTO to the utility despite their assurances they had.

Finally got everything turned on and running, but my troubles didn’t end there. During install, they had not connected 6 panels on one of my arrays correctly. I could see the performance was not up to spec on the Powerguide. It took me over 4 MONTHS and many, many phone calls to get them to agree to even look at my system. I kept getting excuses that “we don’t worry about systems until they drop to 50% production”, or “you need to give it a full year first”. As soon as they finally agreed to send it over to the techs, I had the techs calling me saying something was wrong and they needed to come out. Lost 4 months of peak production on those 6 panels due to their poor customer service.

I got suckered in due to the Tesla name (Model S and 3 owner), and figured they had fixed their Solar City woes. They haven’t yet, and I do not recommend them.

PFP | 16 november 2018

@Az_Rael: I am sorry to hear of these troubles. I have a 3 as well and was thinking this was gonna be good. I still have my fingers crossed as I am stuck at the moment. That said, yesterday Tesla announced a price cut on Solar Panels. So I called and they reduced my upfront cost by 6.5%. Should have new contract today. Plus they are still hoping to bring crews in. More info I got 2 day ago is they are looking to bring the crews in from El Paso after Thanksgiving. Still doubtful this will get done tho

PFP | 16 november 2018

@Az_Rael: I would be sticking it to them for the contract guaranteed production at the 2 year point then

sschaem | 16 november 2018

Tesla uses third party products. panels, inverts, even electricians. I went with tesla because I was also getting a model X and I won shares... but the service is terrible, it make no sense to overpay for bad service.

I'm going to try to end my contract since no work started yet and go with a local company and request the same HW.

End result will most likely be lower cost, with identical performance... very sad to say from a Tesla investor and soon to be Model X owner.

Babaron | 24 november 2018

The short answer to your question is: it depends. It depends on what part of the country you live. Some places have great experiences and other, not so great. It also depends to a large degree on your advisor.

My install was in west central FL. It started out great, had some bumps in the road , and ended up going wonderfully at the end. I would say that I got lucky beacause my advisor was outstanding. He intervened several times to handle the bumps quickly and effectively. All in all, I am very glad I went with Tesla.

So the take home message is: Ask some locals how their experiences went with Tesla. Also ask how good or bad their advisor was. Then decide.

Good luck!

nwfan | 26 november 2018

Initially went with Solar City for my 17kw system. But delays, more delays and lack of updates I dropped
SC/Tesla Energy and went with a local installer. Very happy I did.

2 years later. System is providing power and my Sonnen battery is working in self consumption mode flawlessly.
I wanted micoinverters. SC said no. I wanted panels different orientation on the roof. More in one sector less in other. Argued with SC about design. Went with local company who had no problem meeting my requirements
and providing me with 370 watt panels and Enphase microinverters.

Suggest you do your research. Get bids from multi sources. Check on local incentives beyond the federal 30 percent tax credit. Some states provide incentives. Some utilites do as well. Think of your shading, electric cars,
a/c requirements. Try to build a system that's going to meet your future requirements. I have 2 EV cars Model S and 3. Live in TX (hot summers). My system is 17kw - 47 panels.

In June I'm making 83 - 90 kw of power a day. Winter solar blues (short day and lower angle) 26 - 29 kw.
When leaves are gone. My production will go up.

Tesla-David | 27 november 2018

@nwfan, I am totally envious of your solar production being only 26-29 kWh/day. Yesterday with massive rain storm, we only produced 1.7 kWh, and are only averaging around 14 kWh/day for November up here in Edmonds, WA. Not enough solar from our 13.2 kWh solar system to fully charge our two PW2's, and even on a good day can only charge up to 50 percent right now. I would love to have your solar production up here right now. It is going to be an interesting challenge to see how much I can get out of our PW2's until the solar starts ticking back up in February, especially with our two Tesla's also needing juice from our limited solar. We will be down to single digit production next month. Can't wait to get back to more solar, but have no regrets about the PW2 install and our solar installation. I agree with your position to go with microinverters with trees and shading issues, which we also have.

nwfan | 28 november 2018

@Tesla-David, Happy Holidays.
My battery usually charges to 60 to 70 percent.
Have started charging my Model S at local Supercharger
once a week. Reduces my dependence on the grid.
My Model 3 is 100 percent solar powered.

Also doing some maint. Limb trimming on my trees and
panel cleaning the bird droppings. I'm starting to
notice electric production beginning to push 32 kw a day.
My north facing panels are about useless this time of the year.
They are roughly putting out 10 percent of the power of my
more efficient south facing panels. I have panels pointed all
4 directions and monitor output daily.

marcydreeves | 14 december 2018

I don't know if anyone at Tesla reads these comments but I am a Tesla Solar customer (originally Solar City) and I have an issue and have reached out to Tesla's consumer service many times as well as other management in the company and no one returns my calls or emails. I'm at a loss and beyond frustrated.

Dreamdoc | 16 december 2018

I signed papers 11/4 and install was last Tuesday. They forgot to load the siding and 1 panel, and I live aways from a major city, so siding should arrive/be installed by end of next week. Install otherwise took a day plus an additional day for the last panel. 8 kWh system.

johnrseymour | 24 december 2018

My system has been down for nearly 2 months. I call customer service about every 3-4 days. Each time I receive about the same answer: emails have been sent to the warehouse. I find these answers unsatisfactory. I question how serious Tesla is about providing service to its customers. I question how a supplier can remain a supplier if it cannot supply products. If asked whether I would recommend Tesla (formerly Solar City in my area), I would say, NO, emphatically. I would like to hear from someone who has actually received service for an inverter that has stopped working. I would like to hear from Tesla, itself, with something other than that they have sent an email to the warehouse. I see that Testa just launched a Space X rocket into space carrying a satellite. Hurray! How about getting on with business back here on earth.

msosik | 30 december 2018

I’ve been up and running for 13 months. I live in Southern California through SDGE where rates are the highest in the US outside of Hawaii. I’m extremely happy with my Tesla system. I have a 8.775kw system which is the max panel configuration for my roof size and layout. The estimated production for the system was calculated at 13,521kwh. My roof layout also limited south exposed panel install so 1/3 of my panels are north facing. With all that I was skeptical based on my past energy usage that the configuration would offset my usage even up to the 88% offset that Tesla estimated. A lot had to do with the dry summer and continued CA drought but my annual production came in at 14,767kwh and I was an overgenerator for the year with SDGE. Those in southern CA know it doesn’t “pay” to overgenerate as the peak rates can be as high as .54kwh and SDGE only rebates over generation at a rate of .03kwh. I’d like to think the efficiency of the Tesla panels were the biggest contributor to my system’s Production success. After interviewing 5 other providers I’m happy I went with Tesla and I enjoy the integration with my X and S. My friends and neighbors are happy I referred them as well since my grandfathered referral rate saved them $1,000’s. I haven’t experienced any system issues thus far. My production dipped slightly from June to July and customer service said they wouldn’t send anyone out to look at it because I was still over producing the estimate. I attributed it to slot being blown in from some fires so I got up on the roof and hosed the panels off and I got a slight uptick from there. There were some cosmetic issues with the roof that happened after install but with one call to customer service they had a team out within a few days to fix it. I think the energy advisor you get means a ton as well. My guy was awesome and he still keeps in touch to check in on my system. For those still doing research on companies I agree with comments about the inverter and this is something you need to be comfortable with Tesla. The other company I was strongly considering was Petersen Dean because they were selling hard their micro inverters vs Tesla’s inverter. If Tesla’s inverter goes down the system goes down. If a micro inverter goes down a panel or two goes down and the system still functions.

Dreamdoc | 1 januari 2019

I am quite happy with mine too. The team told me upfront that a panel and siding were not loaded and available on installation day, but they kept in good communication and got it done within a week or so. No complaints from my HOA.

jerrykham | 4 januari 2019

We've been happy with ours too. We got it turned on in July of 2018. No problems getting it scheduled or anything. Here in the SF Bay Area they use Tesla employees and not third parties to do the install. Our neighborhood is pretty new and about 20% of the homes have solar. I walk around the area all the time and the Tesla installs always look the best. Not only do they have the skirt around the whole thing, but they actually ask you for your touch up paint for the house so that they can paint the conduit to match the house. On my walks I have not seen a single other installer (sun run, local contractors, many others) do this. They all left the conduit shiny silver and ugly.

It certainly helps to lower the power bill with AC, hot tub, Tesla Model S, and Tesla Model 3.

Pkalhan | 5 januari 2019

I just had the rep come over (I live in Pittsburgh) and I am thinking of going solar but am going to wait to talk to a local installer as well to see what they have to say. The Tesla rep gave us two proposals...one is a PPA and the other is to purchase outright. Purchasing outright is the one I am leaning towards. The system would be 10.37kW costing $31k with the federal tax credit ($9,457) it would be a net expense of $21,549.

One issue I had which i asked the rep (I think he was wrong with his response) was, wouldn't I also need to have paid $9,457 in taxes to get this full tax credit just like the Model 3? He said, he was not sure how the tax credit works on the car, but I can also "carry over" the tax credit so I can get the entire credit. Does this sound right?

sschaem | 7 januari 2019

31K for 10.3K is a good deal from Tesla. I paid 55K for 13Kw in Sacramento.

I'm not sure why Tesla charges 40% more in Sacrament then Pittsburgh, but I can say that the premium paid over local installer is not worth it. (My install was simple)

Even so the installation itself was quick, it was amazingly painful to get going. I got so many people assigned to the project and many times I was the one having to do the work. No fun at all.

This started in July 2018. system is still not on yet, even so installation was completed over a month ago and Tesla got my 55K.

If I had to install solar on another house, I would chose a local team.

Paik.phil | 7 januari 2019

I am happy with the solar part of the this but definitely not happy with the installation / roof installers. Before the installation I had no leaks above our bedroom and the Tesla roof inspector noticed nothing as well. After installation was finished and 3-4 months later in rainy season, I had a leak. The maintenance team did come out and check; they found a hole in the adjacent ridge where no panels were installed. Therefore this isnt under Tesla's coverage (even though they are the only ones on the roof and ridge is arm and half length from the panels). Guess as a company they cant possible cover all the roofs but as a consumer who trusted the team to do a good job, this sucks!!

sschaem | 9 januari 2019

I also went with Tesla because I thought it was a professional company that would do the right thing...

All I can say is that I deeply regret using Tesla for my solar install, and my model X also been nothing but disappointments. I'm glad I didn't trade in my Rav4

broshinsky | 25 februari 2019

I have had my system for 2 years. Because of the size of the system (74 panels) it is separated into two. The back side of my house has been optional for one or two weeks out of the last 6 months (out from October thru Feb) !!! in the two years prior to this current issue, I can say I have had about 2-3 months of inoperation due to bad this or that's. SLOW repairs to their systems. Staff will always claim manpower issues.

rlsmmartin | 27 februari 2019

Patience is key. Every step of this process took way longer than expected. Way longer. But now that it is all installed and inspected. I am most impressed with how well it works. I live in the Chicago area, and it has been a dismal winter. Even so, I am quite amazed at how much we are generating. Cannot wait until the sun comes arouind and the days are longer so I can see real savings on the electric bill.

swilson258 | 27 februari 2019

I love my system, I produce well over my energy needs. The customer service simply horrible. I was a Solar City customer, and had high expectations after being acquired by Tesla.
If the support call is something simple, account issues, activating the system there isn't a problem.
The problem starts once your case gets escalated, as in my case we are remodeling the house, I need 10 panels out of 40 removed so the new addition can be added. The roof area will be larger and flatter, will not hinder teh production once it is complete. I am heading into the second month after escalation. No word,no contact, when I have called I was told I just have to wait.

It is a pity, they had market share in Phoenix, I was planning on adding a powerwall or two, even considered buying a car. Not now all because of the lack of customer service. I don't think they understand the concept of customer retention, your best future customer is an already existing customer.

whartnell6 | 28 februari 2019

I am very pleased with the Tesla system. I like everything about her.

malcol6 | 4 mars 2019

I have a SolarCity/Tesla system installed at our home in Reston, VA in Nov2017 resulting from an Aug17 contract following an primarily telephone and online sale process that began in Apr17 with competitive negotiations continuing until the contract. Pre-site survey through followup services after initial installation were all superbly done by a Clarksville, MD-based TeslaEnergy organization using SolarCity-branded and SolarEdge inverter products. With a net-metering agreement with Dominion VA Power, the system has produced as expected given weather variability.

TeslaEnergy is clearly the stepchild of Tesla as Tesla seeks to survive the Tesla 3 ramp-up. Unclear if the residential solar business is being totally abandoned in marginal markets (e.g. Virginia) as Tesla sales continue to decline from a lack of competitive marketing, as industry sources report Tesla's solar panels business has declined in the U.S. from over 272MW installed 4Q2015 with 33% U.S.marketshare, to in 2016 to 73MW in 4Q2018 with 9.1% U.S. marketshare. Newsletters or other communications need to be made to existing owners/leasers as the TeslaEnergy organization morphs; communications need to address both customer service, warranty support, and any referral incentives changes.

swilson258 | 5 mars 2019

Just an update..
I love my solar system (no pun intended)
I am not a fan boy, I see Tesla has some real issues that need to be resolved, with both product lines Cars and Energy products.
I agree with malcol6 statements. .
I finally heard back on my case, I was given lots of information, and I feel an honest response from the remodel agent. I have a 3rd party coming out to quote the removal and replacement of 10 panels. The rep was honest and said it could be awhile (Months) before Tesla could remove the panels. I have email the Tesla board twice and trolled Mr Musk on twitter. Did that do it, or did my case finally appeared on top of the pile to e reviewed.
The recent contact was smoothed out some frustration I have had. Not sure if I would refer TelsaEngery in its current state.

h2ev | 6 mars 2019

I received a quote from Tesla. I gotta say I'm quite put off by the sales lady from Vegas. One of the first questions she asked me was if I cared more for aesthetics or efficiency, to which I said I want the most efficient and latest in panel design. She was like oh good we're sold out of our "black on black" panels, which are less efficient than the "white on black" panels because black absorbs all the lights. I can't believe the BS I was hearing..

My first design was based on 44 panels yielding 13.42 KWh, which is the 305-watt panel of unknown origin. After insisting on getting the latest panels available, I was sent a quote based on the 330-watt panel. It seems $3.45 per watt is the bottom line from Tesla as both designs came out to exactly $3.45 per watt. Also, both quotes assume that I assigned my SREC to Tesla.

I'm also talking to a local installer who has been extremely responsive. In fact he just replied to my email from 30 minutes ago asking for a quote to go from the 325-watt Panasonic panels to the 330-watt. $0.10 per watt extra was the answer to upgrade to the 330-watt panels.

I really wanted to stick with Tesla, but the sales tactics and the fact that I have to assign my SREC to Tesla in addition to the higher total cost lead me to want to go with the local installer.

jstoppelwerth | 23 maj 2019

I had my solar system installed in December and it was briefly on before a maintenance tech took it offline due to 'pest damage'. They quoted 2700 to take off the panels, inspect for damage/repair and put the panels back on along with a pest abatement install. It's been several months that I have been trying to get something scheduled to get my system operational but it's been a nightmare. After over a month of trying, I was advised that I would have to sign a home improvement authorization form. Then when I received it, it mentions taking all the panels off and replacing my roof?! My roof is fine. Furthermore, the take off is over two months away and re-install would be a full month after that effectively wiping out the whole summer. My sales rep was great but he quit and I can't get help from anyone. I was so excited about Tesla solar but have nothing to show for my purchase after half a year but full electric bills until next summer most likely.

mcdonalk | 23 maj 2019

We're very satisfied with our 7.6kW + 2 Powerwall 2's that have been online for a bit longer than a year. The system was installed by Tesla. It has eased us through several multi-hour power failures, which means a lot when you have medical equipment operating! So far, we haven't required any service, but when I've called with questions, Tesla has been very helpful.

josheafla | 26 maj 2019

Absolutely happy with our 10.4 kW solar install in Florida. Communication was excellent throughout the process and panels performed better than expected. Install was flawless and very high quality on a tile roof.
We are scheduled for PW2 install in June.

swilson258 | 28 maj 2019

Utilimatly it is up to you who to go with. The residential solar business model as a whole is flawed, the surrendered tax credits for a no money up front cost. No matter who you use it will be a mixed bagged experience. Depends on the sale reps, technicians who do the work., the true condition of your roof. Look up the other local companies for every great review there is a handful negative reviews. Do your homework, all in all you can not go wrong with solar.

SUMANTH | 10 juni 2019

I just got a design for my home in Tempe AZ, there was a mix up as i requested for a 8KW and sent me designs for 4.10kw. just sent it back.
I am not sure if i need a power wall, anyone in the AZ area with SRP can help with existing set up ??

pks | 14 juni 2019

I’m a General Contractor in the San Diego area, I had chosen Tesla because of the manufacturers warranty. Who else, do I think will be around for the next 20+ years? I had a 8.6 kW system (Panasonic 330w panels) with two Powerwall 2’s. The Tesla sales representative did a bad job at communicating. Make sure you get a plan with 8 (or more) pages, not the one page they give you (which tells you nothing).

Once you’ve confirmed the 8 page plan, you should be, good to go. The installers do a good job, and the rest of the Tesla staff are on point. It’s the sales department is the weak link in their system.

lperez81 | 16 juni 2019

Tesla was good all the way up to the installation. The bad service came to submitting the PTO to the electrical company so we can turn on our solar. It took them 6 weeks to turn in the paperwork. When our system was finally operating, it stop producing power and now I have to wait 3 weeks for a technician to come out. It took less time to schedule the install. I am not happy with the customer service. 3 weeks is ridiculous to wait. I am currently paying for a system that is not producing power. Other solar companies will have a tech out within 48 hours. I called to expedite the proceeds because we are worried about a fire hazard in this heat but no luck.

clos000 | 21 juni 2019

It's been 3 months since installation. The service is hit or miss. It took 3 city inspections to pass and they screwed up on the permit so now it's been 3 weeks and they still haven't submitted the PG&E paperwork.

Not to mention I had to call them about them pulling off a drain gutter pipe to install a new conduit. They just left it as is.

I had to call/email for 3 weeks to find a knowledgeable engineer to help me figure out where to install the breakers on the HVAC system.

I have to constantly call or hound them just to get any status updates. The repair people don't even tell you when they are coming until they are 30 minutes out.

It's so frustrating to hear that your paperwork wasn't being worked on for 3 weeks because they wrote the wrong Solar generation size on the permit. My coworker with another solar company and was done in 2-3 weeks. They got their inspection and permits and now they are using their solar.

d.stewartln | 24 juni 2019

I even start my entertainment blog https://gambling4fun.com/ to start earning more money to acquire Tesla Solar Roof.

scott | 19 juli 2019

Well...

I've had my system 4.5 years. It has never produced what Tesla said it would. Many months it doesn't even get up to Tesla's minimum monthly seasonal factor estimate.

Once you get your system, try to contact support. You'll notice it's very hard to find a phone number on the site. If you get one, see how long you are on hold. See how they actually treat you. Try to put in an email ticket and see if they ever respond. I guarantee you will be less of a Tesla fan after you talk to support.

If your system underperforms, like mine has, ask them to have someone reassess it. They won't. You'll be told trees in your yard are causing the underperformance, even if you've trimmed trees back to LESS than they were before original design and install.

When you get your "performance guarantee" and it's less than you expect, and there is a note about shading on it, see if you can talk to anyone who can explain how they came to that conclusion. Ask them how they assessed the "shading". It's be design that you have no recourse, they expect people will just give up with how little support cares.

Try to refinance your mortage and then realize Tesla has a UCC-1 fixture filing (lien) on your house and you'll need to run to the county courthouse and pay to have it removed.

Call Tesla and say you've had hail damage on your roof and need the panels removed for the $400 they quote, see if it ever happens.

I guarantee the bad reviews are not just coming from other installers.

bhegerty52 | 20 juli 2019

Tesla is a good company. The 8.4 system works just as they promised. Had a few minor glitches at the beginning, but they came right out and fixed them. The installation went well. I am on my third year and am very happy with system and service. Most HOA will not allow you to do a self install, so it depends on how your regulations are set up.