Forums

Who did you purchase your power wall from

Who did you purchase your power wall from

Was your purchase made through Tesla, or a third party?

I have the option to purchase a power wall from a third party installer, but only if I install Solar.
As I understand, I would have to cancel my original reservation which I made three years ago,
and would be paying the new higher price, plus be required to buy solar.

Has anyone else run into this? My original idea was to use the powerwall as a battery backup, as my home is not ideally suited for solar.

ripatriot | 31 oktober 2018

i'm purchasing through tesla. i already have solar.

would have to weigh the benefits of adding solar with upfront cost and having the ability to claim 30% tax credit on both the solar and the solar connected powerwall.

while i need a backup power solution, i don't think i would install a powerwall at current prices without solar feeding it or receiving 30% back as a credit.

Marc.e.weimann | 19 november 2019

Interestingly, I had the same problem.
I have had an order in the Tesla system since June of 2018 and am located in the Indianapolis area. After a few months, I reached out to Tesla customer support and they indicated that there was a backlog on Powerwalls and that I would receive a call in January to set up a site survey at my house.
After watching interviews with Elon, it was confirmed that Tesla was going through production hell and that all available battery production was indeed being routed to the Model 3. January came and went and I still did not receive any information from Tesla. Finally, I called them back in August of 2019 and they indicated to me that there was not a Tesla Energy partner in Indiana and that my order was on hold.
With that in mind, I reached out to the company who installed my 13.3KW solar system as they had just recently sent out a flyer that they were teaming up with Tesla Energy. Although I do not think they are a 100% partner since they ordered the Powerwalls through another vendor, I am told that they are fully certified with Tesla as a third party installer. They are scheduled to install three Powerwalls at my residence on Friday, November 22nd.
Based on their professionalism with my solar panels, I do not foresee any issues. Also, I believe that I may be the first customer with Powerwalls for them in Indianapolis
For your particular situation, I would find a Solar Installer and ask the tough questions. How many installs have they done with solar and or Powerwalls? Can they give you references of previous work?
Good Luck!

gregbrew | 20 november 2019

Tesla. Reserved online on October 3, 2018. Received PTO on Feb 1, 2019.

Patrick | 20 november 2019

We initially placed our reservation order for 3 PW2s (no solar) with Tesla direct early this year, but ultimately placed our final order with a regional dealer in western NC once the units started becoming available through dealers again.

Solar was also included in the final order. Not sure if this dealer would have sold PWs only but I suspect they (or another local dealer) would do it....

Tesla is apparently expanding their dealer channels again, both old ones (who were trained but then cutoff) and new ones. This is GREAT news for customers and a smart business decision!

david_gelfand | 26 november 2019

If you have solar panels and install PowerWall or other Storage Batteries, you may be eligible to receive an “SGIP” rebate. You apply/get the rebate from the installer. Tesla has “exhausted their allication of SGIP rebates. Be sure to check with others installers to see if they still have. With the rebate you get a third PowerWall for “Free.” The rebate is on top of 30% federal tax credit.

If you have solar panels and install PowerWall or other Storage Batteries, you may be eligible to receive an “SGIP” rebate. You apply/get the rebate from the installer. Tesla has “exhausted their allication of SGIP rebates. Be sure to check with others installers to see if they still have. With the rebate you get a third PowerWall for “Free.” The rebate is on top of 30% federal tax credit.

jdr181 | 28 november 2019

I didn't. When my system was installed in August 2018 the quoted price for a single power wall was approx. $3.000. They were, however were unavailable as they were all going to Puerto Rico for post hurricane reconstruction. I inquired early this summer and was quoted a price, after my rebate of $9,000 for a single power wall. This quote was from a well advertised company who has partnered with Tesla. He called a Tesla rep who agreed that was the going price. That was a 3X increase in 9 months. That was almost the same cost of my entire system. So I declined.

gregbrew | 28 november 2019

I have *never* seen the price of a Powerwall anywhere near $3k. The lowest I've ever seen was about twice that *without installation*, and I've been watching PW pricing since at least 2015. I had two installed in January of this year, and the installed cost was ~$9k each.

Methinks whoever gave you that $3k quote was blowing smoke up your posterior. Don't let that dissuade you, as my PWs work great with my 2015 Solar City 5kW PV array.

Patrick | 29 november 2019

Just paid $9K per Powerwall from a regional Tesla dealer including turnkey installation. $8-10K per unit seems to be the latest market pricing from Tesla dealers.