Forums

Official Tesla Model 3 roof rack sold out in minutes!

Official Tesla Model 3 roof rack sold out in minutes!

That didn't take long. As soon as I heard the news, I checked the site and they were gone. What, did they only make a dozen sets?

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-roof-ra...

Magic 8 Ball | 3 december 2018

Oh, great another page to park on and wear out the f5 key.

finman100 | 3 december 2018

okay! I'm intrigued by the mount point(s). How'd they do that without drilling holes in that metal part? or does it somehow slip under the glass roof?

Whomever installs this 1st should be required to share info!

hector | 3 december 2018

If you look closely, that 3rd image is definitely photoshopped. Hmmm...

CharleyBC | 3 december 2018

So that gives you the two cross bars with mounting slots. What counts as a compatible product for mounting to this? Is there some standard I’d need to look for?

If you look at a site like Yakima I think they have things that will work with the crossbars with or without T slots.

Thanks, @8. I’ll check it out. Still leaning toward a hitch, though, as I worry about our ability to safely and painlessly lift bikes onto the roof as we age. This car may make us FEEL young, but that doesn’t help rotator cuffs. :)

Funny, I just got done looking at a few images of bike on roof rack accidents. I suspect that sort of thing could wipe out some glass roof if I understand the design. The roof on the 3 is nice and low tho' ; ). I think some have reported success with a hitch mounted bike rack (aftermarket) and I have not read enough to know if there is issue with back camera and sensors but maybe a non-issue. A hitch rack certainly makes taking bikes on and off easier.

For skis, snowboard, surfboard, etc. they look great and clean.

Yeah, I could see being clueless and driving under something low, like the porte-cochere at a motel, and wiping out the bikes.

The bikes on a hitch do mess with the rear cam and ultrasonic sensors, but so long as you’re aware, you’re cool.

lumberjack | 3 december 2018

I have hitch on one of our cars and roof bars on another. For sure, hitch mount is easier and quicker to load bikes than on roof mount. But hitches are deadweight when not used and they supposedly affect the battery range. Someone on this forum or elsewhere reported a loss of 10% range due to their aftermarket Model 3 hitch was mounted.

btw, I suspect that Tesla hasn't started selling their roof rack. If someone really jumped in and ordered them right away before they "sold out", they are probably forum type people. We would have seen someone posting "Yay! I ordered a Model 3 roof rack" on one of the many Tesla forums or Reddit. I haven't seen any such posts.

lilbean | 3 december 2018

$450? What a shame.

hector | 3 december 2018

@lumberjack, my thoughts exactly. I don't think this ever went live. Besides, as I mentioned, the cross bars look photoshopped.

The electrek article about the rack shows a rendition of the rack and it's the same picture on the website.

coleAK | 3 december 2018

First off I would also totally agree that the rack wasn’t actually available. Second it looks nice, I’m sure it’s aerodynamic and quiet, but looks totally impractical as far as using it to carry gear. Short Spread, super narrow bar width centered on the glass. Looks like same track on the top as out MB factory rack that make changing attachments impossible or very difficult. The bike rack is about 10 years out of date with a fork mount... probably couldn’t carry, through axel, fat bike, “plus”, or whatever the bike industry changes next week. Probably way too narrow for a canoe or SUP. I guess what I’m getting at is I have never seen a car brand rack that can come close to compete with the rack brands (Thule, Yakama). The rack brands are designed to carry gear and being modular can adapt and change out based on future needs. Also from my experience the only way I’ll put bikes on the roof regularly is with the tray mounted “outside the towers”. I even mount the outside of my ski racks and boxes that way. Makes loading and unloading way easier as you don’t have to lean over the car. When I put a rack on MY 3 it will be the Yakama with the widest bars I can get away with, minimum 4-6” outside the towers on each side.

Also $450 is pretty reasonable for towers and rails.

@lumberjack: I can't see a 10% hit for just having a hitch installed. The very similar ones from Stealth and Torklift essentially replace one piece of metal with another. I bet it adds only a couple pounds to the car. And when not in use, the receiver comes off, making the hitch invisible and eliminating any minor aerodynamic impact.

Now, if the bike rack--even empty--is attached, then, sure, you'll get an aerodynamic hit. Add bikes, and even more so. I think it was hokiegir1 who said she got like a 30% hit when carrying bikes. (From memory--forgive errors, please!) But I see a mileage impact on our Prius too when carrying bikes on the back.

coleAK | 3 december 2018

Also I agree 100% with putting bikes on the hitch. After carrying bikes on the roof for at least 15-20 years I switched to a hitch mount 5-6 years ago and made me wish I had done it years ago. Now the only time hikes go on top is the rare occasion when I’m hauling more than 4 bikes.

finman100 | 3 december 2018

10% "battery range loss" was with bikes on the back of the Model 3. NOT just a hitch. Don't recall the person (hokiegirl?)

lumberjack | 3 december 2018

I apologize for the 10% range loss number I thought I had read. I remembered wrong.

I went back and searched the site on google. The poster said 30% loss with two bikes loaded.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/any-actual-installations-hitch-or-...

I also checked a detailed review a buyer posted on the stealthhitches.com site. It seems the hitch (without the removable receiver) permanently adds 28.1 pounds to the car. I agree that shouldn't cause any noticeable difference in range.

hector | 3 december 2018

I also preferred my hitch mounted bike rack over my thule roof mount on my previous MB wagon, but bikes on a roof rack always looked cooler to me. I like the sporty look of roof racks just on their own.

It's just odd that Tesla would release the roof racks without actually having them in stock. They could have just taken pre-orders. Kinda like how the key fobs are right now, they're pre-orders.

Daryl | 3 december 2018

Talk of a hitch raises the question: How do you add a hitch to a Model 3? Is it even possible?

Daryl | 3 december 2018

OK, after writing the comment above I did a search and found several links to hitches for Model 3.

markrrodgers | 3 december 2018

Ok just a few comments, cause some of what's on here doesn't seem to be 100% correct. First, key fobs are available we got ours in less than a week and they work great. I would drop by the nearest Tesla shop and see if they'll give you the model s or x silicone sheathes/key ring because the fobs don't come with a key ring hole. There's lots of third party fob holders on Amazon also for x and s fobs that will fit the 3 fob. I assume its the same size or close enough because the s fob sheathes we got from Tesla fit perfectly

As far as the racks, if you really need to get a rack now, Yakima appears to have a fit kit for the model 3 that hit their website about two weeks ago. It looks legit as the installation diagrams show clearly a model 3 outline and roof details, and the photos are clearly a model 3, http://infolookup.yakima.com. These racks are the type that sit on pads and clamp over the sill frame piece. We have this design on our Volt and they do whistle a lot, annoying on a quiet car. The kit also appears to be $597 with locks, which is believable as we paid $595 for the Volt racks. As far as the separation, we've carried 12" SUPs back and forth to Mammoth on the Volt several times and the model 3 separation will be several inches greater (between the hatchback and the satellite antenna, the separation on the Volt is quite small), so the comment about insufficient separation isn't wrong exactly, but its certainly over stated. if you're careful its very doable. I do believe the Yakima rack sill clamp will rely on the automatic window retraction when the doors are open to avoid hitting the clamp as the door closes. I've seen racks of this type on frameless window cars, but it bothers me a bit. But if you trust the window retraction to be reliable, don't mind the whistling, or the price, you can have fully functional roof racks now.

In general the negativity about Tesla not keeping promises or purposely being misleading also seems overstated. Certainly doesn't match my experience. they're at least ok and for most things they've done exactly what they said they would do. They aren't forthcoming with information, and people I know who work there do say the employees get new information the same time as customers. So not perfect, but not horrible. I don't need the rack until spring, and really don't want to pay the high price for a Yakima design that works well but isn't quite right for such an aerodynamic vehicle. I feel the Tesla rack will be available in quantity in a few months, and if not can live with the Yakima then if I have too.

There is no way lilme could get a bike on the roof.

keyring lanyards are available for the FOB's.

https://www.ebay.com/i/142613374515?chn=ps

coleAK | 3 december 2018

@markrrodgers. I would be more concerned about the width (as I mentioned) than the spread. The glass panel is exactly 48” wide. By the looks of it you will lose a couple of inches on each side due to the aero shape. I measured and 66” bars would fit no problem, even 60” would give you some outside mount room.

markrrodgers | 3 december 2018

@coleak That's good point, maybe will have to live with the conventional racks. 66's would look really clunky though!! The 60's on our volt work great. I have a real wide SUP (36"), and you're right 48" would be really marginal for strapping down.

I haven't actually called to verify the Yakima availability, but the evidence on the website is pretty convincing. There's no reason that design wouldn't work.

But he Tesla racks look so much better and I'm sure they're way quieter!!

hector | 3 december 2018

@markrrodgers not sure if your comments about the key fob was directed at my comment about them being pre-orders, but in case you hadn't checked recently, they have a 3-4 week shipping estimate. They are NOT currently available:

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-3-key-fob...

We ordered on Nov 17 and have yet to receive a shipping notification. I called my service center and they said they are taking "pre-orders".

Not sure who your comment about negativity toward Tesla was directed to or to what specific comment you were referring.

My intention for this post was to express incredulity toward the immediate selling out of the OEM roof racks. It seems unlikely that they would sell out in minutes and no one here posted about getting some. The photos seem to be renders, not actual photos. I was suggesting they take pre-orders, like in the case of the key fobs.

I will wait for these racks, they seem nice and totally fit for our needs. :o)

Nexxus | 5 december 2018

@lilbean,

To put your bikes up top would require another one of those full body workouts you've talked about... :-)

Furry Mark | 5 december 2018

I'm in the UK, so hopefully by the time the RHD version is available the racks will be too!
We have a top rack (Thule) on our current vehicle (Ford Focus ST) and my wife and I can get the bikes up onto it relatively easily.

coleAK | 5 december 2018

Also all the racks: Tesla, yakama, Thule,... will have the pretty much same amount of wind noise where there is gear on them :) I drove to the ski resort for the first time this winter with a full rack of skis (6 pairs) and I always forget how loud it is when fully loaded. And that is 48” wide glass. I bet busy the looks of it the Tesla bars will be =< 44”

gleason2453 | 5 december 2018

When can we expect them to be in stock??????????? Called Tesla and they said keep looking at the web site.... Super junk.

coyaflo5 | 10 december 2018

Damn trick... i need a rack for surfing and biking- then i can get rid of my 4runner...

Kahn | 10 december 2018

luckly the trunk is quite deep if you put one of the seats down.. skis crossways fit fine, 185cm without having to go in the center.

jordanrichard | 10 december 2018

Just what is this attaching to? I have a MS with the pano roof that has clearly identifiable mounting points. I have been up close to a 3 and never saw anything that looked like a mounting point for a roof rack.

Stuvose | 15 maj 2019

Old thread but I was on the website last night and was under the impression that they are in stock so I ordered one. We’ll see...

UFO_FPV | 15 maj 2019

They have been in stock for a while.