Forums

How to find out if a tesla I want to buy has autopilot

How to find out if a tesla I want to buy has autopilot

There is a Tesla I am looking at buying, and I want to know if the AP feature was installed. how can i find out?

VIN 5YJSA1E17HF217829

tyler.ratajczyk | 4 december 2018

Looking buy, wanting to know if AP was downloaded on this vehicle

EVRider | 4 december 2018

Ask the seller?

GHammer | 4 december 2018

A car of that vintage will have the hardware to have AP. No way to know if the software has been activated. As EVr said ask the seller. If it has not been activated there is a several thousand dollar activation fee to Tesla.

PrescottRichard | 4 december 2018

Can you sit in it and play with the MCU? It’ll show up there.

Jesperj | 5 december 2018

Looks like you are trying to buy it online and no test drive is possible. There's no way to tell from the VIN, at least not that's available to anyone other than Tesla. It certainly has the hardware although it does not seem possible to tell if it is HW 2 or 2.5.

You could try calling Tesla and asking if they can tell you. They may be able to. The other option is to ask the seller to press the car button on the main display (the MCU) and taking a picture of the screen and send you. If it says "Autopilot" in the menus, it has the autopilot add-on.

FWIW, that vehicle is running a rather old software version, but that's something you can fix if/when you buy it.

GHammer | 5 december 2018

"FWIW, that vehicle is running a rather old software version, but that's something you can fix if/when you buy it."

Where from his post did you get that from?

FreddyC10 | 5 december 2018

Do a google search of the VIN and you can see the car. It is running 8.1 software.

Jesperj | 5 december 2018

What FreddyC10 said. It's an online only dealer selling the car.

tesla | 22 oktober 2019

Yes its a real problem if you are buying from a non tesla dealer...They have no idea. Struggling with this now.