Forums

Terrible Service

Terrible Service

The initial excitement has worn off. I can't really recommend it to my friends due to the service and poor build quality. The car cost me nearly $60K and the glovebox failed on the 3rd use. I would be more accepting if the service was reasonable. I was presented with "1" timeslot in a two week window. They don't service on Saturdays. I am pretty disappointed and can't say I would buy this car again.

lilbean | 17 januari 2019

Don’t fixate on the glovebox. How’s the rest of the car?

Magic 8 Ball | 17 januari 2019

Okay, so you are out. I suggest you cut your loss and sell your car immediately. By telling others to stay away you are hoping to kill the company so. As you drive more customers away TESLA will go broke and service will get worse. So are you going to keep the car while you try to kill the company?

Lonestar10_1999 | 17 januari 2019

I think OP’s issue is that the SC cannot schedule a convenient time for repair of defects.

andy.connor.e | 17 januari 2019

Magic needs to check his sodium intake.

CST | 17 januari 2019

Can you ask for Mobile Service to come do the repair at your home?

aptwo | 17 januari 2019

You called that bad service? do you really think you're the only car in town that need services?

82bert | 17 januari 2019

These posts boggle my mind. Who are these people?!?

mabuck | 17 januari 2019

Folks, Tesla is the only one that can work on your car. It's not like there are 10 dealerships around certain areas of the country. Sometimes people have to drive two or more hours to the nearest service center to get repairs. When you're only given one time slot it makes it extremely inconvenient especially when your new into ownership. I can empathize with this guy.

I don't think your issue is that bad, but please let us know how things go.

mabuck | 17 januari 2019

I called Tesla over two weeks ago to get my delivery issues fixed. I've called back twice now and they still have not scheduled me for service. They keep saying it is waiting to be scheduled.

Tesla is really backed up. Most places can service your car next day or same day.

rxlawdude | 17 januari 2019

Tesla's executive team really needs to get this issue addressed. It's only getting worse with 20,000 M3s/mo being released into the wild.

This needs to be Tesla's Number One priority in the next quarter or two. Think long term (including happy future customers) rather than saving money short term and hoping owners just suck it up.

EM34ME | 17 januari 2019

I want my glove box fixed, and I want it fixed NOW! (stamps feet, shakes fists at the sky, and then lies down for a nap).

I lost a cap on my tooth. I called my dentist. He asked, "Is this an emergency? Are you in pain?" I said no, He said he had an opening in two weeks. I said I'll take it.

Where are you located? I'll come by and fix your glove box for free - a piece of duct tape - until Tesla service can fix it permanently

rxlawdude | 17 januari 2019

@EM, you don't do the community any favors by dissing OP. Clearly, Tesla Service centers are overwhelmed in areas with many M3 deliveries.

Magic 8 Ball | 17 januari 2019

My local Furd dealership is a week and half to two weeks out on oil change appointments. Major service can be a month out at times.

jim | 17 januari 2019

Aren't things like custom satisfaction, service levels and service center locations something you research before buying a car? Seem kind of reckless to purchase a $60K car and not have any idea if their service will meet your expectations. Service wait times are well documented and should not have come as a surprise.

mabuck | 17 januari 2019

@EM34ME

That's not the point, although you raise a good one.

Most American's are use to the buying experience of being treated like a good customer at a normal dealership. Tesla has changed into a "sign these papers, here is how you operate the car, bye bye" type of delivery experience because they are so backed up.

On top of that, their service is the same way. "What is your problem? OK, here are your options and that is it. "

We're buying luxury cars... not Toyota corollas and even by their standard they are kissing your ass fixing problems the next day. You also have a customer service Rep from the dealership that will kiss your ass trying to do everything they can to fix your problems ASAP.

Tesla is ran completely unorthodox from the typical dealership buying experience & actually operating the car. It will take some time for consumers to adjust to this.

jim | 17 januari 2019

custom = customer

Mike UpNorth_ | 17 januari 2019

I think I've opened and closed the glove box twice in 3 months. If it broke and Tesla said it would take a month to fix I think I'd be okay.

kcheng | 17 januari 2019

Uh oh, now you've done it...

EM34ME | 17 januari 2019

"you don't do the community any favors by dissing OP. Clearly, Tesla Service centers are overwhelmed in areas with many M3 deliveries."

The OP doesn't do the community any favors by dissing Tesla for not fixing his relatively trivial issue, a glovebox, like right now. Yes, Tesla Service is currently overwhelmed at this time, with some, not all, relatively trivial service issues. Service Centers need to prioritize issues and fix the most serious first, like for example a dead U.I.

I have no doubt that Tesla will correct an overwhelmed Service Department, but it will take time. In the meantime we all need to be patient.

EM34ME | 17 januari 2019

"you don't do the community any favors by dissing OP. Clearly, Tesla Service centers are overwhelmed in areas with many M3 deliveries."

The OP doesn't do the community any favors by dissing Tesla for not fixing his relatively trivial issue, a glovebox, like right now. Yes, Tesla Service is currently overwhelmed at this time, with some, not all, relatively trivial service issues. Service Centers need to prioritize issues and fix the most serious first, like for example a dead U.I.

I have no doubt that Tesla will correct an overwhelmed Service Department, but it will take time. In the meantime we all need to be patient.

Tuning In | 17 januari 2019

Worst service ever for me involves a dealership trying charge me $350 for a 5000 mile service (oil change and “20 point inspection” and another to gauge me for repairs to the tune of $800 for parts that they damaged fixing another part next to it but they would do me a “favor” by charging for parts no labor.

gene | 17 januari 2019

This does bring up a good question: is there some manual way to get into the glovebox?

mabuck | 17 januari 2019

Good point @tuning in

RES IPSA | 17 januari 2019

Since mid-September, I am still waiting on a mobile service appointment. Waiting on a part to be come available to fix a defect (rear tail light assembly unit). I have given up on calling and trying get Tesla organized... I enjoy driving the car, and my experiences with the service have been a mixed bag.

I would tell my friends to buy an EV and to consider Tesla, but to be patient with Tesla during their growing pains if they choose a Tesla

drhelmutroth | 17 januari 2019

Communication and service is definitely in the minus column. Car is in the plus column. It all comes down to "Would you rather eat an over-the-top excellent steak at a reasonably priced restaurant with bad service or a bad steak at an expensive restaurant with over-the-top excellent service?". I am there for the steak. Everybody's priorities are different.

RedPillSucks | 18 januari 2019

@jim_schultz seems like a grenade thrower. No follow up comment?

@jim Not sure the research part would have helped. Early Tesla buyers report phenomenal customer service.
Later Model 3 buyers, not so much. With all due respect, where would one look for customer satisfaction info.
In particular, since it varies so widely based on service center location, I'm not sure how helpful it is. Unlike the dealership network where there is usually another dealership < 5miles away, you might have to go to another state to find a service center alternative.

RedPillSucks | 18 januari 2019

@drhelmutroth Service is part of the car ownership experience. Unfortunately, Tesla still has issues which require the car to be serviced. With the hoards of unwashed Model 3 owners coming soon ($35k model), Tesla really needs to fix this issue.

andy.connor.e | 18 januari 2019

I dont have any sympathy for this one. Know what would really suck? Living in the New York Capital district, and having to drive 2.5 hours south to the nearest service station to have their glove box fixed. Please re-evaluate your struggles.

decoss | 18 januari 2019

I had a warning message appear on my screen on Monday...called Tesla Service on Monday afternoon...chatted with Rep who had a Mobile Tech at my house at 9:00a.m. Wednesday morning.

gballant4570 | 18 januari 2019

At best a person who is letting a small amount of frustration turn him into a FUD Troll. At worst a deliberate act of dishonest FUD spreading. I've got a Mitzubishi (resides at my mother's house for their use) that recently spent just a bit over two months at the dealership with a problem that the dealers maintain as proprietary. It never did get fixed - but I paid a bill when I finally went and got it. So other make vehicles are not so different all the time......

PhillyGal | 18 januari 2019

@tuning In - My worst service left me standing in the parking lot, on my tip toes, screaming in the face of a male service manager who was at least 6 feet tall. I had been repeatedly dismissed when my 6 month old Hyundai lost power and stranded me on I-95 during rush hour and would have a dead battery every Monday morning.

Just_Ted | 18 januari 2019

+1 PhillyGal, my worst service was when my 1 year old VW "cheater" TDI blew up the high pressure fuel pump. (tiny metal shards sent through the fuel rail, into the fuel injectors, back to the tank via the return, into the low pressure pump, and back up to the fuel filter... an 8 to 9 THOUSAND dollar fix to flush/replace all the above)

VW tried to blame me for their design flaw (this was a known problem, under warranty) The dealership sent the fuel out to be tested by a lab to try and pin the blame on me for either putting gas in a diesel, or for buying bad diesel!

The nerve!

My experience so far with Tesla has been awesome.

andy.connor.e | 18 januari 2019

How can anyone even say that its "your fault" for getting bad diesel? As if you can know the condition of the fuel underground?

4barkie | 18 januari 2019

I really hope that you are not the type of buyers that tesla is attracting. Whiny, entitled, annoying.
Would you prefer that the service center have unlimited appt availability, Saturday perhaps even Sunday? If so double the price you paid for the car.
These posts never fail to amaze. Tesla should be charging extra for the "jerk" factor of having to deal with you.

rxlawdude | 18 januari 2019

"How can anyone even say that its "your fault" for getting bad diesel? As if you can know the condition of the fuel underground?"

On the other hand, why should the auto manufacturer spend money to fix a problem that was not related to any defect?

bothellwa | 18 januari 2019

While I wouldn't personally base my entire car experience on the development and lack of stellar rectification by Tesla of a glovebox issue, I will concur that their Service operation is far from a well oiled machine.

I took delivery of my P3D just over two months ago and had two small issues at that time. First, the FM radio did not work, something we discovered with the delivery person while trying things out during delivery. The second is that two of the wires in the rear defroster do not heat so the area around those lines is slow to defrost as they eventually warm due to adjacent wires.

I contacted Tesla immediately and have had sporadic emails since, but no resolution. These are really small issues, so I have not pursued them all that strenuously with Tesla. Besides, I have been having way too much fun just driving the car. However, it would be nice if they had processes in place to ensure that service "balls" like this are not dropped, multiple times in my case, along the way. It seems a little effort here could result in a big increase in customer satisfaction.

calvin940 | 18 januari 2019

Most companies prioritize requests based on priority & severity. In the case of Tesla, based on their current servicing capabilities, load etc, will look to address items for owners that prevent them from operating their vehicles safely over those that are cosmetic or of low consequence. This is the norm for pretty much all companies so I can't understand why an individual would be this upset about this. Just doesn't make sense.

drhelmutroth | 18 januari 2019

@RedPillSucks I did not mean to say that bad service was OK. After 5 failed delivery appointments I was very close to walking away from Tesla. I hope nothing ever goes wrong with my car. I dread the thought of contacting Tesla for anything.

Kenz | 19 januari 2019

Sean Mitchell did a great youtube video on how Tesla needs some good customer contact software to keep track of all the phone calls, emails and texts for a particular customer in one file. It seems Tesla drops the ball when they pass things off from one person or department to another. Buying some customer contact software seems like a win for Tesla and a win for the customer by providing better service.

dr_gko | 19 januari 2019

We have a 6 year old Model S and an 8 month old Model 3. Our service experience w/ the Bellevue, WA service center has always been excellent. Got a "12V battery needs service" warning in our Model S recently. Used the app to schedule an appointment, but earliest appointment was 3 weeks away. Sent an email and got an immediate reply. Was able to have it replaced in 3 days.

dr_gko | 19 januari 2019

For urgent matters they scheduled immediately, within a day, (such as the car not charging, frunk opening while parked- triggering the alarm, a block of ice ripped the wheel well liner off and I was unsure about other damages. Non-urgent stuff like creaking sunroof, creaking steering wheel, fogging taillights, noisy drive unit took a few days a to a few weeks. Some repairs took several tries but they always fixed the problem.

gdaniel | 11 december 2019

I need to have a front wheel alignment and cannot get an appointment for service. trying for weeks. Someone send help!!!

Magic 8 Ball | 11 december 2019

Lassie is on her way!

apodbdrs | 11 december 2019

@gdaniel, get a wheel alignment at Costco! Make sure they use the hockey pucks.